goertzen77

TANDY STAMPS VS HIDECRAFTER STAMPS

I HAVE A BUNCH OF THE TANDY STAMPS LIKE THE BW AND GEOMETRIC STAMPS AND I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE SOME OF THE STAMPS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF HIDECRAFTERS STAMPS ARE BETTER THAN THE TANDY ONES.

I think so. I, too, am in the process of doing the same thing with the exception of the Crafttools that I know were made back in the '80s when my dad tried to get into leathercrafting. Tools from back then are still worth using. I'm slowly getting to the point where, with the geometrics, I can tell if it's a Crafttool or not.

Absolutley. I think the econo line at Hidecrafters is much better than the Tandy line. The impressions are much crisper. They're still an economy line, but much better quality.

My two cents: Hidecrafter has stamps from about $3.00 up to over $30.00. Do you get what you pay for? Usually. As to really good stamps, for Sheridan style work, look at Barry King in Sheridan, Wy ($25.00 and up); as to figure carving and really creative work, look at Bob Beard of Farmington, NM ($40.00 and up). I'm not getting anything for talking about these two guys, but I've known them for years. I've taken courses from Beard and spent time in King's shop. Top quality, but very different. King's are stainless and if I could only have one tool of his it would be a #3 smooth beveler. Call him direct and tell him what you need. Beard's are blued tool steel and he makes over 2,000 different stamps. He makes the very best figure bevelers! Call him and tell him what you want to do-he will help. Be warmed-if it isn't in stock, it might take a year or two to get it. Talk about backorder. There are others, but I have little experience with them. Lastly, do what I tell many of my students. Buy a bucks worth of 30 or 40 penny spikes or get some worn out chain saw files. Them turn on a grinder (eye and ear protection) and make some tools. There is a learning curve and you will soon learn why custom tools cost so much, but you will have unique tools and be able to do unique work.. The very best to you. Stan

I agree with Rawhide. I have since moved from Tandy to Hidecrafter/Craft Japan and now to Barry King for Sheridan work and Ellis Barnes for old western floral (Basically Tandy's replacement). At my current status, Barry King for me is pushing it although more affordable than Bob Beard, for me. I have just about completed (my) BK set. I am not getting every single tool he makes. I paying more attention to my collection of Ellis Barnes tools. Their pearshaders, camo's, veiners and seeders are 10 times better than Tandy and Hidecrafter's. But you are looking at $25-$40 each. A set of 4 cross check bevelers (standard degree not sheridan degree) will run you $125 delivered straight from Lonnie at the plant. Segel of California carries a limited amount of Ellis Barnes tools. To give you an idea of EB tools, you can almost cut your finger tip with his camo's.

I know that most members here know that Jeremy Watt is making tools and I ready somewhere that Chuck Smith (maker of the Ol'Smoothie) was making tools as well. But for their quality, I can almost bet you will pay prices leading up to the other top names here. As for Bob Beard, I heard that his tools are very good, but I only know one saddle maker that owns any. I heard that they are expensive, but I will probably find out how much at the Boot and Saddle show this year.

Eventually, I will probably pass my Tandy tools to my son and daughter but I have considered selling all 219 of them. Probably not, but they most sit in a box next to my bench just in case I need something special. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

We've been selling Craft Japan, Craftool, Kyoshinelle, and Hideco tools for years. I wish Craft japan made all the stamping tools that craftool does, but they just don't. :( The Craft Japan are about the best of what the average crafter can buy, at least in my opinion. The Hideco tools are good, and most are made by Craft Japan. But if you're making a living with stamping tools, it's pretty hard to beat Barry King and Bob Beard.

Kevin

If you are comparing apples to apples HideCrafter's line is nicer, look at this picture of 2 figure bevelers side by side the difference is clearly visible. On some others its not as bad but they are still better.

Now Hide Crafter also carry higher quality ones including Barry King but the cost would not make them equal contenders.

By the way there is also a special group of 15 Hackbarth tools that goes for around 150 that is in my opinion a very good deal.

Lui

DSC01942.JPG

post-5548-1249160437_thumb.jpg

By the way there is also a special group of 15 Hackbarth tools that goes for around 150 that is in my opinion a very good deal.

Is there a website or email where one can order these?

google:

Siegal of California for crown tools

Hide Crafter's in Fort Worth Texas for the Pro-Crafter series

Springfield leather for all of them.

Is there a website or email where one can order these?

Here's a thread about those excellent Hackbarth stamping tools. The contact information is listed there as well. By the way, when I purchased the set this year, the price had increased to $145 for the set -- still an extremely good deal. They are very nicely-made tools.

L'Bum

Offtopic: Wouldn't this topic fit better in the Leather Tools forum. . .? ;)

Edited by Leather Bum