Gawa

Visiting Boston.Mass

Where is There a good place to shop for leather or craft stores in the Boston Area....

Our own Froghunter is the manager of a Tandy store about 1 hour north of boston in Chelmsford.

Boston's leather days are past history, now. Once famous for being home to Seigel's and Berman's and others, these types of places are few, I think. Frog will definitely help, for sure. He should be well acclimated by now (Probably sharpening his snow shovel in preparation for Winter..lol)

Massachusetts being small, helps. You can easily visit outside of Boston within short driving times. Peter, at Waterhouse Leather has lots of good skins available.

One of the one's I remember from years ago that's still there in Ipswich, is Ebinger Leather.

I sure would like to see someone who lives there now fill us in....

I sure would like to see someone who lives there now fill us in....

*waves* Hiya! I don't live in the city proper, but I can see the light pollution from my house, and my husband works there. (Also, Froghunter doesn't get on the site very often, so I'm sure he won't mind me playing welcome wagon.)

You're right, there isn't much in Boston itself in terms of dedicated leather supply shops -- goodness knows I've looked. Tandy is 30 miles/35 minutes north of Boston (in favorable traffic, which is a crapshoot) in Chelmsford, MA, and Waterhouse Leather is just down 495, in Littleton. They don't really have a storefront, but if you call ahead, I'm sure you can work something out with Peter.

Between Chelmsford and Littleton is Westford, home of the best ice cream on the planet at Kimball Farm. (They also have a grill for lunch, a gift shop, a nine hole golf course, a driving range, two mini golf courses, and bumper boats. It's worth the trip out from Boston all on it's own.)

You mentioned craft stores. Do you mean regular craft stores or leathercraft? If you want regular craft stores, we have Michael's and A.C. Moore, and you can find locations on their websites. If you want proper art supply stores, there's Pearl Paint in Cambridge and Dick Blick in the Fenway. I haven't been to either (well, I went to a Pearl Paint in NYC like 15 years ago and nearly swooned, so I'm saving it for a special occasion), but I want to.

When are you coming, and what else are you interested in? Maybe I can help. (My mom is Nova Scotian, so over and above my natural helpfulness, I'm sort of honor bound to try!)

Edited by tashabear