hidepounder

Finishing Edges

On 7/23/2009 at 5:41 PM, hidepounder said:

Hello everybody,

I receive quite a few PM's and emails requesting information on edges, finger cutting, tooling patterns and various other topics. Questions regarding some of these topics come up on a fairly regular basis, so I thought I would put something together that members could easily refer to. This article describes the way I finish edges and Johanna has posted it in the "Tips & Tricks" section on the main page. I hope that some of you will find it helpful.

Bob

Wow!  Great information....I've been doing it all wrong!   I found Frebring's glycerin bar soap, have canvas and courdura will buy a belt sander...150 grip belts.

When you speak of spirit dyes do you mean not water based?  Alcohol base?

What is Neat lac?

Don

On 7/24/2009 at 7:41 AM, hidepounder said:

Hello everybody,

I receive quite a few PM's and emails requesting information on edges, finger cutting, tooling patterns and various other topics. Questions regarding some of these topics come up on a fairly regular basis, so I thought I would put something together that members could easily refer to. This article describes the way I finish edges and Johanna has posted it in the "Tips & Tricks" section on the main page. I hope that some of you will find it helpful.

Bob

thank you for the insights sir!  will try to adapt with the material and all! 

On 8/25/2017 at 8:22 AM, alpha2 said:

If you do a layer of edge paint, then sand, burnish, sand again, then apply a final coat of edge paint, the coats will adhere to each other, and the final coat can look pretty good. I'd begun to think that edge paint was evil, then realized that it was just a solution to a different problem, and have started using it again. Remember...there is no "right way", there is only "different right ways".

Hello. I have been trying to coat edged of my card holder made with chrome tanned, it seemes to look well until when I folded it and put in my back pocket, the time I took it out, some edge coat stick to the other side of the holder. 

Did I applied coat too much? Tutorials on youtube doesnt seem to work for me..

sounds like you may have put it on too thick. A few thin coats, drying well between coats, and a light sanding between coats should help.

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

sounds like you may have put it on too thick. A few thin coats, drying well between coats, and a light sanding between coats should help.

That's what I thought too but when I put thin coat, fibers are still out. It's a little frustrating. 

Then the sequence should be...light coat, dry completely, LIGHT sanding with fine sandpaper, then burnish, then repeat the sequence. Also, you could try burnishing in one direction only, instead of back and forth. Sometimes you get leather that likes it that way.

Jeff

Always be able to find somebody to re-invent the wheel, and charge you for doing it.  I've tried a few types of edge "coatings" over the years - still don't care for em.  I do use a little wax on occasion, on the stubborn ones, melted over leather dye (usually Fiebings Pro Dyes).

These have been around for years - and work great.  Available in wide and fine point.. and available in a zillion places.  Since some of you already shop SLC, here's a link to theirs ... http://springfieldleather.com/search?keywords=angelus marker

On belts and holsters, and other such "broad" items, I dye edges with a standard wool dauber (like the one  that comes with the small bottle of dye).

Edited by JLSleather

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Always be able to find somebody to re-invent the wheel, and charge you for doing it.  I've tried a few types of edge "coatings" over the years - still don't care for em.  I do use a little wax on occasion, on the stubborn ones, melted over leather dye (usually Fiebings Pro Dyes).

These have been around for years - and work great.  Available in wide and fine point.. and available in a zillion places.  Since some of you already shop SLC, here's a link to theirs ... http://springfieldleather.com/search?keywords=angelus marker

On belts and holsters, and other such "broad" items, I dye edges with a standard wool dauber (like the one  that comes with the small bottle of dye).

Did you know that Bob Park sells edge solution and applicators?

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Did you know that Bob Park sells edge solution and applicators?

I saw the applicators in THIS thread. Didn't catch the "edge solution" thingie, but no matter -- 

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I saw the applicators in THIS thread. Didn't catch the "edge solution" thingie, but no matter -- 

He has refillable edge markers work great for dye. I got some of his solution last year at Sheridan. Works great but I just mix up saddle soap in water in an olive jar and use that after I ran out.. lol

I really enjoyed reading bible on edge finishing.  In all my work I have been skipping some steps.  I do have one question.  I have seen some paint like edge treatment that is very thick.  Do you have any idea what that might be?  I have included a picture to show its very plastic look.

image.png

Edited by RJLamie
deleted picture from text

2 hours ago, RJLamie said:

I really enjoyed reading bible on edge finishing.  In all my work I have been skipping some steps.  I do have one question.  I have seen some paint like edge treatment that is very thick.  Do you have any idea what that might be?  I have included a picture to show its very plastic look.

image.png

Yes, it is Edge Paint- available from several sources.  Brands include Fenice and Giardini.  

Gary

Hi everyone,

I am new and a baby in leather craft but have HUGE interest on it. For a start I would like to restore the edge of my old wallet that shows some crack and chipping on edge.

Question:

1. Do I need to sand clean it all the edge or I just sand the part of I will restore? What number I should use?
  2. Do I need base coat or can apply direct Giardini semi-dense?
  3. How many coat I should apply, 2 or up to 4 and should I sand in between? If so what number again? I read some post in here that suggest to do 4 coats with sanding in between each coat. Using 220, 400, 800 and 1500 grits. If I only use 2 coats and 800 and 1500 grits to use?
  4. Is anyone in here from Australia or could you suggest me to buy Giardini cheaper than website (edge paint cost me 9.90 plus extra shipping for 27 L)

Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, Gabrie said:

Hi everyone,

I am new and a baby in leather craft but have HUGE interest on it. For a start I would like to restore the edge of my old wallet that shows some crack and chipping on edge.

Question:

1. Do I need to sand clean it all the edge or I just sand the part of I will restore? What number I should use?
  2. Do I need base coat or can apply direct Giardini semi-dense?
  3. How many coat I should apply, 2 or up to 4 and should I sand in between? If so what number again? I read some post in here that suggest to do 4 coats with sanding in between each coat. Using 220, 400, 800 and 1500 grits. If I only use 2 coats and 800 and 1500 grits to use?
  4. Is anyone in here from Australia or could you suggest me to buy Giardini cheaper than website (edge paint cost me 9.90 plus extra shipping for 27 L)

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Gabrie!  Always best to test on scrap leather before committing to your project, but sounds like this is not the case here.

I would roughen any surface where you plan to edge paint.  I like to use the Giardini base coat, but it is not required.  The number of coats is a personal preference depending on the type of leather and condition.  Sometimes I only use two coats and other times up to 4.  I stop when I like how it looks.  I initially sand with 100 grit, then finish with 400 grit wet-dry paper.  

You might want to check with Giardini about specials.  I just bought their “Summer Special” that included 250ml bottles of base coat, dye, leather conditioner, gloss finish, and a couple of other products that I can’t recall right now.  The small bottles go a long way unless you are in production mode.

Have fun!

Gary

On ‎6‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Gabrie said:

Is anyone in here from Australia

There are several people here from Australia, and a few from W.A. As for where to buy Giardini edge paint? I have no idea, maybe one of the other people will have some ideas on a supplier. I saw a post a while back about ordering a sample pack from a supplier, (might have been Giardini, but I cannot remember) but I never got a reply to my email. I subsequently found they were in Europe, so maybe that is why they were not inclined to reply and/or send out any products.

We have an active Leatherworkers Association in W.A. If you would like more information on attending, send me a PM with your details.

Has anyone got any blueprints for a burnisher like this one?

maxresdefault.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, Rockoboy said:

There are several people here from Australia, and a few from W.A. As for where to buy Giardini edge paint? I have no idea, maybe one of the other people will have some ideas on a supplier. I saw a post a while back about ordering a sample pack from a supplier, (might have been Giardini, but I cannot remember) but I never got a reply to my email. I subsequently found they were in Europe, so maybe that is why they were not inclined to reply and/or send out any products.

We have an active Leatherworkers Association in W.A. If you would like more information on attending, send me a PM with your details.

I got my Giardini from Etsy and it came from HK. I contacted Giardini and they don't have Australia re-seller.

I am very beginner and find out in Highgate, WA they have workshop for beginner.

On ‎6‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, garypl said:

Welcome Gabrie!  Always best to test on scrap leather before committing to your project, but sounds like this is not the case here.

I would roughen any surface where you plan to edge paint.  I like to use the Giardini base coat, but it is not required.  The number of coats is a personal preference depending on the type of leather and condition.  Sometimes I only use two coats and other times up to 4.  I stop when I like how it looks.  I initially sand with 100 grit, then finish with 400 grit wet-dry paper.  

You might want to check with Giardini about specials.  I just bought their “Summer Special” that included 250ml bottles of base coat, dye, leather conditioner, gloss finish, and a couple of other products that I can’t recall right now.  The small bottles go a long way unless you are in production mode.

Have fun!

Gary

Thanks Gary for the response and apologies for my late response. This is really help and I will start my project this week. I got my Giardini basecoat and paint edge both semi dense today. :) Will keep update.

2 hours ago, Gabrie said:

I got my Giardini from Etsy and it came from HK. I contacted Giardini and they don't have Australia re-seller.

I am very beginner and find out in Highgate, WA they have workshop for beginner.

Thanks Gary for the response and apologies for my late response. This is really help and I will start my project this week. I got my Giardini basecoat and paint edge both semi dense today. :) Will keep update.

Please post before and after photos and let us know how you like the products!

Gary

Hi All, 

Very interested in the topic of burnishing in general. Right now we use a basic wheel sander to apply a natural beeswax to our edges. 

Has anyone worked on a natural burnishing process? @hidepounder I am curious about your use of canvas as the application. Is the canvas waxed with anything first? 

What does wetting the leather edges do to help the burnishing process? 

Thanks so much for sharing the write up

You can just use canvas and water to get a nice burnish. This is of course on decent veg tan leather.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:08 AM, kyrrk said:

Hello. I have been trying to coat edged of my card holder made with chrome tanned, it seemes to look well until when I folded it and put in my back pocket, the time I took it out, some edge coat stick to the other side of the holder. 

Did I applied coat too much? Tutorials on youtube doesnt seem to work for me..

I never had any problems with edge paint. And in basic, this is what I do.

1. cut/sand edge, bevel, crease.

2. Paint edge.

3. Heat paint with heated creaser (electric or manual) or with friction (canvas)

4. sand edge with 400 grit, until perfectly flat.

5. Paint edge

6. Sand with 400 grit, until perfectly flat.

7. Proceed painting and sanding until you have a perfect edge.

8. Finish with 800 grit (or higher if you like)

9. Melt Paraffin (or beeswax) onto the edge. (Use electric creaser or heated creaser if you have.)

10. Burnish the edge with canvas.

11. Finished.

You see examples of my edges if you look through my posts (For example the dark brown wallet)

Thanks for the great article, Bob.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:58 AM, AltaAndina said:

Hi All, 

Very interested in the topic of burnishing in general. Right now we use a basic wheel sander to apply a natural beeswax to our edges. 

Has anyone worked on a natural burnishing process? @hidepounder I am curious about your use of canvas as the application. Is the canvas waxed with anything first? 

What does wetting the leather edges do to help the burnishing process? 

Thanks so much for sharing the write up

You have to wet edge on veg tan. Or you can’t burnish.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, Jerrymi said:

Call me stupid the link will not work nor can i find the tips and tricks section..please help

https://leatherworker.net/edging.htm