MADMAX22

Filling in structure of cruiser seat

OK so I am doing one of those big ol cruiser seats, its a star roadliner (yamaha) but anyways the seat pan has alot of raised plastic that makes up I guess to help deal with rigidity. I am redoing mine and cant use the stock foam (previouse experiment dont ask) so was wondering what is the best way to fill in all the pockets.

Ive been racking my brain and besides cutting out little pieces individually I was thinking of using some of that foam in a can stuff that you can get at lowes. Its for sealing windows and stuff. Thought maybe spray it into all the pockets, let it expand and dry, then take the electric knife to it and cut it smooth with the top of the rest of the plastic on the seat pan.

THinking this will give me a nice even surface to start layering my neoprene for the seat.

Any other ideas.

Also sorry I dont have a camera at the moment.

I have a V-Star with a seat that I re-did. I used two layers of an exersize mat. Its more comfortable than the stock seat, and it makes me sit lower in the bike, which lowered the center of gravity on the bike.

Here's mine. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14742

If that doesn't work, I still have the stock foam for the rider's seat. Postage, and its yours.

Looks really good.

Im using similer stuff. Neoprene. Pretty much the same idea. I am glad you like it, means Im on the right track.

Annoying how bad the stock yammie seats are, they are like the first aftermarket thing that anyone gets.

Thanks for the offer on the stock foam but I wont need it. So far mines coming along nicely.

Pictures?

Pictures?

Well my ex and I broke up :( and the camera was hers so right now I am without a camera.

Im trying to save up right now and hopeful after a little while Ill get a decent one.

Annoying how bad the stock yammie seats are, they are like the first aftermarket thing that anyone gets.

Ohhhhhhhhhh it's not just Yamahas ;0) But I think the manufacturers scrimp on seats because they know that people will swap em for individual tastes/needs anyway. I'd rather see em save a buck on the seat and NOT the drivetrain ;0)

Ohhhhhhhhhh it's not just Yamahas ;0) But I think the manufacturers scrimp on seats because they know that people will swap em for individual tastes/needs anyway. I'd rather see em save a buck on the seat and NOT the drivetrain ;0)

You aren't kidding about the stock seats! My HD stock seat felt like an upholstered brick.

You bring up a good point there

You aren't kidding about the stock seats! My HD stock seat felt like an upholstered brick.

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

OK so I am doing one of those big ol cruiser seats, its a star roadliner (yamaha) but anyways the seat pan has alot of raised plastic that makes up I guess to help deal with rigidity. I am redoing mine and cant use the stock foam (previouse experiment dont ask) so was wondering what is the best way to fill in all the pockets.

Ive been racking my brain and besides cutting out little pieces individually I was thinking of using some of that foam in a can stuff that you can get at lowes. Its for sealing windows and stuff. Thought maybe spray it into all the pockets, let it expand and dry, then take the electric knife to it and cut it smooth with the top of the rest of the plastic on the seat pan.

THinking this will give me a nice even surface to start layering my neoprene for the seat.

Any other ideas.

Also sorry I dont have a camera at the moment.

I just widened out the pillion pad on my bike and used foam in a can to fill it in. Granted it has only been a couple of weeks on the bike, but it worked pretty well. It dries pretty firm, but isn't rigid.

Dan

I just widened out the pillion pad on my bike and used foam in a can to fill it in. Granted it has only been a couple of weeks on the bike, but it worked pretty well. It dries pretty firm, but isn't rigid.

Dan

Thanks, I figured it would work. I ended up not doing it and just cut a few pieces of neoprene to fill in the larger areas. Now I gotta finish the leather portion (the hard part).