Hilly

Horns, horns, and more horns!

My husband just came home from a flea market, and tossed a big bag of stuff in front of me, saying "I hope you can use these."

I opened the bag, and inside I found a large sheep skin, which will be great for applicators. I also found a plastic grocery sack full of horns. A bakers dozen plus a pair of pronghorn antelope horns. Now, we both hunt with muzzle loaders, and I thought to make us each a "powder horn" to stash our speed loaders and some other stuff, as a couple of these horns are pretty fair sized.

What to do with the others? Some are polished, and some are pretty scuzzy looking. All dried out, and not much for a hollow in the base. And the antelope horns? Not a clue as to what to use them for, unless I make some kind of funny hat.

I'm open to suggestions from you all.

I used to have a cool cribbage board made out of an elk antler with escutcheon pins for the pegs. It actually wasn't quite as easy to use as a flat one, but it sure looked cool. I have used them for buttons on chaps or purses. either saw a cross section and drill some holes in, or cut the tip off for more of a toggle(not sure if that is the right word for it) type button. Chris

I used to have a cool cribbage board made out of an elk antler with escutcheon pins for the pegs. It actually wasn't quite as easy to use as a flat one, but it sure looked cool. I have used them for buttons on chaps or purses. either saw a cross section and drill some holes in, or cut the tip off for more of a toggle(not sure if that is the right word for it) type button. Chris

When I was a young girl, I learned to play cribbage on a board made of deer antler! Sure brought back some memories. Thanks.

What exactly are "escutcheon pins"?

Buttons sound kinda cool. I've used antlers for buttons before. Just cut cross sections, and drill 2 little holes for the needle to slip through. A neat sounding idea for horns, too! Thanks.

Edited by Hilly

Horns? Use 'em the way they were meant to be used...on your head!

Daggrim

hornhelm.JPG

post-5329-1248895639_thumb.jpg

Daggrim, I really like your helms (I did a little visite to your site...) but I think horns are for driking...

What exactly are "escutcheon pins"?

An escutcheon is the small plate, usually brass, that surrounds and protects a keyhole in a door, cabinet or drawer.

Escutcheon pins are small brass nails with domed heads, with which escutcheons are attached. They are often used to created decorative patterns. I sometimes use them to decorate fire bellows.

escut.jpg

pins.jpg

post-7199-1248911681_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1248911699_thumb.jpg

An escutcheon is the small plate, usually brass, that surrounds and protects a keyhole in a door, cabinet or drawer.

Escutcheon pins are small brass nails with domed heads, with which escutcheons are attached. They are often used to created decorative patterns. I sometimes use them to decorate fire bellows.

Thanks for the explanation and pics.

You were lucky to get to use escutcheon pins. All we ever got to use were toothpicks!

I have a very large shed white deer tail antler that we found in the spring. I keep debating whether a new cribbage board is in order...

Well, the antelope antlers can be used for small knife handles, and they also make great burnishers.I use antlers for both things.Another thing besides buttons is to cut and drill them for conchos, you could do that with the horn.Dave

LOL! I just read my last post in this thread. "White Deer Tail Antler"! I've been working too many hours lately...

You might try using the antelope horns as rub sticks after a bit of polishing and maybe a little rework.