Ken Nelson

steel makers stamp

I ordered a pair of maker stamps from what used to be Harper Mfg. in Las Vegas. The handle on on is not right in my opinion. Knurling cut one way, not the other. Handle will almost cut your hand and turns the stamp. I called Todd out there and was told to get used to it. It is what it is and It is mine. I am very disappointed. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Have you tried wrapping it with athletic tape. I've done it on some smaller stamps to give a little more grip, or in your case a little less.

Have you tried wrapping it with athletic tape. I've done it on some smaller stamps to give a little more grip, or in your case a little less.

This too will be made usable and with some work. I just feel that a premium priced tool should be correct. Mistakes do happen and how a person or company handles honest mistakes speaks volumes about their character. Just my opinion. I wish I had went with Infinity again.

This too will be made usable and with some work. I just feel that a premium priced tool should be correct. Mistakes do happen and how a person or company handles honest mistakes speaks volumes about their character. Just my opinion. I wish I had went with Infinity again.

Ken,

Can you post a picture of your stamps handle? A pictures worth a thousand words as they say.

Steve

Todd told you to get used to it?? How pathetic is that? Thats like paying top dollar for a sheridan tooling and getting a crooked basketweave. I would find someone named Harper to talk to about the stamp AND Todd!!

I agree...Sometimes a little case of "athletes scalp" is what it takes to get their attention and let them know that you are the customer paying for a piece of equipment (and their salary) and you expect a good quality tool, some customer courtesy and service along with that. It's their job!! -

I ordered a pair of maker stamps from what used to be Harper Mfg. in Las Vegas. The handle on on is not right in my opinion. Knurling cut one way, not the other. Handle will almost cut your hand and turns the stamp. I called Todd out there and was told to get used to it. It is what it is and It is mine. I am very disappointed. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Ken,

You mentioned that the company used to be Harpers.....did Tim sell the company?

Bob

Ken,

You mentioned that the company used to be Harpers.....did Tim sell the company?

Bob

It is steel stamps inc. now. I don't know rather it has sold or what but I will not ever do business with them or recommend them ever again. Seems like I have been having more problems with poor service and inferior products the last 6 months than I have in years. I hope it gets better.

Maybe I expect too much but I feel that if you pay for a premium tool, you should not have to rework it to do the job it is intended for. I have a lot of suppliers that are never a problem and I appreciate them beyond what words can describe.

Ken

I'm really curious if the company has changed hands and if their leather maker's stamps have changed in quality. I got mine about eight years ago and have never seen anything as well made. I'll be looking for another one in the future and would sure like to see photos of what they are turning out now.

Darc

I'm really curious if the company has changed hands and if their leather maker's stamps have changed in quality. I got mine about eight years ago and have never seen anything as well made. I'll be looking for another one in the future and would sure like to see photos of what they are turning out now.

Darc

Darc,

Sounds like we got the good ones. I have been supporting Harper's because of the great job they did....but it upsets me that I have been recommending someone who treated Ken the way they did.

Bob

I have two Harper stamps, both are excellent. Tim sold the company to Todd as of June 2nd and he changed the name to Steel Stamps.

Perhaps someone should forward this thread to Todd so he will have some idea just how fast his business can go down the drain. Bob, I've been doing the same with everyone who asks I always tell them Harper's stamps are the best out there... sure won't being doing that anymore.

Darc

Perhaps someone should forward this thread to Todd so he will have some idea just how fast his business can go down the drain. Bob, I've been doing the same with everyone who asks I always tell them Harper's stamps are the best out there... sure won't being doing that anymore.

Darc

These stamps make a very good impression, as good as the infinity I had at my last location. The problem is the handle on the smaller of the two stamps. I will try to get a picture of it posted the next day or two. I am well satisfied with the quality of the face of these stamps. Interesting how these things happen when companies change hands. Ken

Hi Ken,

I've posted a picture of the stamp I use that came from Harper's... I haven't seen everything out there but of the ones I have seen, this is the best by far. The impression is crisp and clean, symetrical, letters are evenly spaced and sized, really couldn't ask for more. Not sure how different the handle is from yours but I really like this one. Sorry the photo isn't a bit better.

Darc

makers%20stamp.JPG

005.jpg

Wow! I wrote Harper Mfg. about a stamp and got a reply on 6-23 from "Harper old" (?) It was a very smart assed answer that I didn't expect because I, too have about three Harper stamps already. So, now who do we get stamps from that are made like Harper's ? I like the round handle and the stamps I have are excellent but, snub one of us and you snub all of us! :nono:

Edited by HarryB

I was about to get a quote on my first maker's stamp from them...just got the art ready this past week. Sounds like I might be better off searching out someone else. Any recommendations?

Try the "search" button for Maker Stamps. There are a couple threads and some members here on LW make them and many people are happy with them.

I have one from "Infinity" in Canoga Park Ca. that is one of the nicest I have seen. I got it about 10 years ago. Great quality, clean crisp lines. I have moved (changed states) and ordered one from "Tuffcase" ,it is a plastic or delrin ?, very inexpensive but not useable. :thumbsdown: The imprint is so shallow it looks awful.

I am going to try Jeff at Grey Ghost Graphic for my next maker stamps. As soon as the money truck shows up!! :evillaugh:

Rick J.

Maker_stamp_001.JPG

post-6575-1249232774_thumb.jpg

I was about to get a quote on my first maker's stamp from them...just got the art ready this past week. Sounds like I might be better off searching out someone else. Any recommendations?

Troy,

I would have to agree with Rick. I haven't used Infintey Stamps, but they have been around for a long time. You would have to assume that the longevity of the company must mean something positive. They are the only other steel stamp maker that I am aware of but I'm sure there are others. I have seen steel stamps that did not have the round knurled handles and I don't like them as well.

Bob

Try the "search" button for Maker Stamps. There are a couple threads and some members here on LW make them and many people are happy with them.

I have one from "Infinity" in Canoga Park Ca. that is one of the nicest I have seen. I got it about 10 years ago. Great quality, clean crisp lines. I have moved (changed states) and ordered one from "Tuffcase" ,it is a plastic or delrin ?, very inexpensive but not useable. :thumbsdown: The imprint is so shallow it looks awful.

I am going to try Jeff at Grey Ghost Graphic for my next maker stamps. As soon as the money truck shows up!! :evillaugh:

Rick J.

I had a pair of infinity at my last location and they were very good. I wish I had went back to them. The "harper" Steel Stamps Inc., were $50.00 cheaper. Big mistake for me. Ken

Maker_s_Stamp.JPG

post-3450-1249256359_thumb.jpg

I had a pair of infinity at my last location and they were very good. I wish I had went back to them. The "harper" Steel Stamps Inc., were $50.00 cheaper. Big mistake for me. Ken

I will try to get a better picture of the 2 stamps in question posted. No very computer savy!!!! Ken

Maker_s_Stamp.JPG

post-3450-1249257120_thumb.jpg

:jawdropper: Refund or not, I'd send that one on the back. And if I had made it, I'd be embarrassed to give a customer something like that. How do you keep the right one from twisting when you hit it?

Damon

Edited by Vikti

:jawdropper: Refund or not, I'd send that one on the back. And if I had made it, I'd be embarrassed to give a customer something like that. How do you keep the right one from twisting when you hit it?

Damon

I have only used it a couple of times and you are right, it is difficult to keep it from turning. Th ridges are pretty sharp. I have pretty hard, rough hands, made that way by 40 years of ranching and cowboying. Very uncomfortable to use the tool. Actually, the large stamp has almost all of the knurling sanded off of it. It is a big stamp and it doesn't make any difference. In my opinion, there is a quality control problem with the stamps. BUT, the stamps do make a nice mark. I want to state, I do not have a problem with the large stamp but do still feel the small stamp is not correct and I just want other crafters to know about it. I can not afford to have duplicate stamps made and doubt a lot of other people can either.

Ken

I will try to get a better picture of the 2 stamps in question posted. No very computer savy!!!! Ken

Yikes! No wonder you don't like it. That's like holding the threads of a bolt.

I had an occassion today to speak to Todd who purchased the steel stamp division from Tim Harper. Todd has been there making stamps for a long very long time. I was unaware that the company had sold and that Todd, not being a Harper, changed the name to Steel Stamps Inc. Now that I know what transpired in the sale of the company and who has purchased it, I am once again confident that they are producing the same great stamps they have become well known for and I will continue to recommend them to anyone who desires a quality steel makers stamp.

Personally I prefer a more aggressive knurl on a tool handle as it enables me to maintain a firmer grip. I really like the look of the spiral pattern and was unaware that it has been available for some time. I happened to have a conversation with another maker who requested the spiral knurling on his last two stamps and absolutely loves them.

I recognize that on occassion mistakes are made or there are commincation breakdowns that can leave a customer dissatisfied. It happens in every business and it is always unfortunate. Hopefully Steel Stamps Inc. and Ken will be able to work together to resolve the issues Ken has with the knurling on his new stamp. It sounds like an issue of personal preference rather than the quality of the stamp.

Bob

I had an occassion today to speak to Todd who purchased the steel stamp division from Tim Harper. Todd has been there making stamps for a long very long time. I was unaware that the company had sold and that Todd, not being a Harper, changed the name to Steel Stamps Inc. Now that I know what transpired in the sale of the company and who has purchased it, I am once again confident that they are producing the same great stamps they have become well known for and I will continue to recommend them to anyone who desires a quality steel makers stamp.

Personally I prefer a more aggressive knurl on a tool handle as it enables me to maintain a firmer grip. I really like the look of the spiral pattern and was unaware that it has been available for some time. I happened to have a conversation with another maker who requested the spiral knurling on his last two stamps and absolutely loves them.

I recognize that on occassion mistakes are made or there are commincation breakdowns that can leave a customer dissatisfied. It happens in every business and it is always unfortunate. Hopefully Steel Stamps Inc. and Ken will be able to work together to resolve the issues Ken has with the knurling on his new stamp. It sounds like an issue of personal preference rather than the quality of the stamp.

Bob

Bob...

Did you ask him about his comments to Ken? I must say that he wasn't all that customer friendly in his response to Ken's complaint.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana: