frank207

Grooving for stitching

Hello,

In the absence of a Grooving Tool, is there another way to groove for stitching?

Frank,

I would suggest going and getting a stitch groover. You can take a swivel knife and lightly score the leather where you want to stitch, but it never looks good. That score line is hard to hit in the center with a sewing machine and just doesn't look right. Another problem with doing that is you can't keep the same depth constantly and probably weaken the leather significantly along that line. I you don't what to spend to much money, Tandy and Osbourne both sell a pretty cheap model. It's a pretty critical tool to do things well and right.

Ross

www.nrcowboygear.com

Ross,

I don't have a sewing machine, I'm planning on doing some stitching by hand. Do I still need a groover?

Also, there is a tannery about 15 miles away but they don't do veg. tanned leather. The stuff they have is soft and they have many colors. I picked up some to try sewing with an awl and using what I have as a stitching pony. The leather is so soft it was hard to keep a straight line not to mention actually poking the hole. I realize I can't use a groover on this leather but with leather this soft should I even try hand sewing? I want to do some simple little purses/pouches using some of that colorful leather.

Thanks

Frank

Ross,

I don't have a sewing machine, I'm planning on doing some stitching by hand. Do I still need a groover?

Also, there is a tannery about 15 miles away but they don't do veg. tanned leather. The stuff they have is soft and they have many colors. I picked up some to try sewing with an awl and using what I have as a stitching pony. The leather is so soft it was hard to keep a straight line not to mention actually poking the hole. I realize I can't use a groover on this leather but with leather this soft should I even try hand sewing? I want to do some simple little purses/pouches using some of that colorful leather.

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

What kind of leather is it? Is it a chap or upholstery leather? If it is then no you don't need to groove it. In all reality you can't groove it. Handsewing shouldn't be bad for it just time consuming for you, and that should work for some pouches and such. I I were you I would get a stitch marker (some people call it an over stitch wheel) and mark were I wanted those holes to go so that I could sew a straight line. Another thing you thing you could do is get some lace and buck stitch or lace the edges together. Here is a picture of some lacing and buck stitching. Tell me if that helps.

Ross

www.nrcowboygear.com

Lacing_Options.JPG

post-10126-1249173116_thumb.jpg

Frank,

A grooving tool is not essential, but it makes a huge difference in the way your stitching will look. If you're going to buy one, I would recommend the Versa Groover by Bob Douglas. It can be used freehand on with a guide to cut a line along a border. Pricey, but well worth the money!

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

it may not be essential, but i would say it all depends on whats being made.

the groove can protect the stitching, but again, depends on the sit.

In the absence of a groover, a large set of dividers, . . . with both points dulled fairly well, . . . makes an acceptable replacement tool. Set the dividers the width from the edge you want the stitches to lay, . . . lightly moisten the top of the object where you will be stitching, . . . and "groove" it with the dividers.

John Bianchi favored this technique highly over using a stitcher, . . . but he also taught using a smoothing tool after all the stitching is done, . . . it flattens out the back side, . . . runs the stitches down into the groove made with the dividers, . . . and makes a really good looking product.

May God bless,

Dwight

The leather is so soft it was hard to keep a straight line not to mention actually poking the hole.

Hi Frank,

Using a spring sewing punch makes a world of difference in poking sewing holes in soft leather (as well as the lighter weight vegtan).

Tandy sells one for about $40 (retail) and it is well worth the cost.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Ross

I don't know what type of leather it is, but the lady said the stuff I bought is used for the tops of shoes/sneakers. Yes, the picture was helpful but leads me to another question. It looks like the holes were made with a chisel, should I think about using one of these? When do you use a chisel to punch holes vs. an awl? I don't have any chisel's either! As you can probably tell I'm a newbie and even more so when it comes to sewing/lacing.

Again Thanks

Frank

Frank,

When I lace or buck stitch something I use an awl. You could go and get one of those lacing chisels from Tandy, it might be a little easier to run for a beginner. I personally don't like to use them but just cause it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't for you. The problem I run into is that those chisels have 3 or 4 prongs on one tool. So you punch a good straight set of 3 holes, move on down the line and the next 3 will be crooked. With an awl you just mark your line with a groover or set of dividers in your case, mark your holes with a stitch marker, stick it in your stitchin horse, and put that awl were you want it every time. If one hole is a little off, fix it on the next one.

And try different things, see what works for you. Don't get frustrated if it doesn't go together like you have it envisioned in you head. Someone once told me to make everything a practice peice for the next project. Just practice on some peice of scrap and then do your project when you feel like you have it down fairly well. Strive for perfection but don't be disapionted when you never get there.

Tell me if any of the instuctions about lacing help. I don't mean to just give a pep talk. Thats no good if you don't learn anything.

Ross

www.nrcowboygear.com