daviD A Morris

Book on Restoring Vintage Western Saddles

I hear that Alain Eon has published a book titled "Restoring Vintage Western Saddles". Apperently it has over 300 photos in it and a bunch of antique saddles. I have Alain's poster that he produced back in about 1989 and I'll be getting this book, but may have to wait till Christmass!! In the meantime has anyone seen this book yet. I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about it.

Regards

dam

I've got that poster, too. haven't seen the book, but I'll be interested to know, too. Chris

Hi there,

I'm new here, but have been enjoying all the input.

I just received an e-mail from Alain, and it is available. Here is the text from his e-mail to me. (Hope he doesn't mind)

Quoted text:

Just this mail to inform you that my book

Restoring Vintage Western Saddles is for sale

This is the only book about old time saddles restoration.

More of 340 pictures showing restoration works step by step

from the taking apart to final presentation.

With 15 old time saddles presented.

A4 format(21 x29,7 cm)

68 pages + cover printed in color on heavy 170g mi-mat coated paper

& 300g Cover.

Price: $45 plus shipping cost $10

ALAIN EON – 168, rue Maurice Arnoux – 92120 Montrouge - France

Mail: alain.eon (at) free (dot) fr

Anything Alain does (at least what I've seen over the last few years) is exceptional. I figure this will be no exception...

Harry Eaton

Edited by Denise
modified e-mail addy to prevent spammers

Apparently the shipping has been increased to $15. The price + shipping must be sent as a money order or check by mail to his address in France. He doesn't accept credit cards. Has anybody dealt with him before? Maybe he's a member on this forum? I'm a little cautious about sending $60 overseas to somebody about whom I know nothing. I wish he would market it through Amazon, which would at least offer a little security. I read one review of the book, but about all it gave was a short history about the author's life experience and said it has a lot of pictures (I like books with lots of pichers). Not much meat in the review. Anybody actually thumbed through the book and have an opinion? If it is a worthwhile book that gives actual usable information for saddle restoration, rather than just historical stuff about old saddles, I'll buy.

Alain, if you are a member here, I don't mean to be offensive or question your integrity, but I'm new here and I hate sending money through the mail.

:) Tony

Edited by thenrie

I have Alain's book and can tell you it is excellent. Been doing this for many yrs and am still amazed at some of his work. I have

communicated with him numerous times. He is certainly an honorable and trustworthy gentemen. Can assure you that if you

do indeed purchase his book it will be money well spent.

I think ShopTalk is selling this book too.

Who (or what) is ShopTalk? I'd also like to get this book. It would be great to buy from a source state side.

I ordered it from Shop Talk. Waiting for it to arive here ;-|