Sign in to follow this  
kyleglentzer

Small holes in saddle tree

I have a tree that I would like to use for my first attempt at building a saddle. When I got the tree it was set up for riding with rigging rings held by strips of latigo attached to the tree by small brass screws, stirrup leathers done in the same fashion. This has all been removed, now the tree has about 30 little holes in it, about 1/8" in diameter. None of them go all the way though the bars. There is a slight raise around the edge of each hole which I was thinking about sanding smooth then filling them in with something (Bondo?). Is this a good idea? Thank you, Kyle

Kyle,

Welcome to LW.net! You will get much advise here, everyone is helpful so just post a question and try to include a photo or two they really help! :welcome:

For your saddle tree...

• Make sure there are no cracks in the bars from the orig. screws. If none the tree should be o.k.
  • Find wood dowels that will fit in the holes, some use tooth picks, some may need 1/8in. dowel from hardware store.
  • Use a wood glue, such as Elmers white glue. Some people swear by Gorilla glue, I have heard Gorilla glue expands, needs water, ect. Read directions if you use it, I never have so I can't comment. (seems like a lot of work to use the glue)
  • Fit your dowel in a hole to get an idea how deep it is, use wire cutter to cut it 1/8 to 1/4in. longer then needed.
  • Coat the dowel in glue and insert in the hole. Use a mallet/hammer to tap it in untill you are sure it "bottoms out" don't mangle/force or crack the wood dowel anymore than you can help it, the glue will hold it in place. Just let the end stick up, you will take care of that later.
  • After the glue is dry, use your nippers to cut the dowel off flush with the tree.
  • Use sandpaper the flatten the wood dowel, try not to sand to much of the rawhide on the tree.
  • Use a clear type of varnish to seal and water proof the repair area, brush it on where the hole and sanding marks are to make the rawhide water resistant again.

I have done this on a few hole in a tree (never for 30!) You need to ask yourself if it will be safe to use? It may depend on where the holes are located. Post a picture so some of the other, more experienced saddle makers can give some input and to see if will be a safe tree to use.

Rick J.

IS THIS TREE A PLASTIC RALIDE TREE OR A RAWHIDE COVERED WOOD TREE ?