Tina

"Paying it Forward"

Perhaps it'd be best to "research" a little of what the person you're sending to likes - i.e. I'm not great at patterns myself other than Celtic (which I have a ton of). It may be you'd end up sending someone something they already have. It's tough, I know, to come up with something someone you don't know that well might want, but as someone pointed out earlier, it's really great to have something someone else made out of leather. Maybe we could come up with a quick "questionnaire" that could be filled out and forwarded along to each person that wanted to participate? Or just some info about yourself?

For example, I'm into the Renaissance/Medieval Faire scene, I love Celtic art, but am also really into the outdoors and wildlife, especially horses, cats and dogs. I collect model horses. My favorite leather stains are mahogany and saddle tan, and my favorite colors are orange, green and blue. Something brief like that would really give someone an idea of where your interests lie.

I'd like to get in on this, though I'm not real great :) Just lemme know who what where, etc.

Hi Tina

Great idea I would love to participate be warned I am on L plates

Johanne

Jumpimg in adding some names to the list...

Just a little note wildrose...By not doing the list, telling what you like etc there is a bigger chanse one might learn something, go outside the comfort zone. If we all get things that we alreaddy are doing then it would be a huge missed opportunity to broaden the horizon...My humble oppinion:-)

Here's an added list:

tazzman*

wildrose*

Cecil

Johanna

SCOUTER

Myriam

Froghunter

Kani

Rayban

Bob

Regis$

Wood?

Clay (M)

Banwell

Hoyden

jammon

ferret$

Beaverslayer

CitizenKate

ETW Grumpy

broncobuster

rdb

Oscar B

wolfenstien

ShirleyZ

ClayB $

leatheroo$

superchute

Hilly

JLD

I sit corrected...after hearing from a few of you, I withdraw the majority of my last post :head_hurts_kr: I guess the basis of what I was trying to say was what someone pointed out earlier about not needing a saddle (can't recall the exact wording right now). I have a few pieces from other artists, which were sent to me as special gifts, and I love every one of them.

This is the current list. I re-did it slightly because Wolvie specifically asked for Beaverslayer early on in the discussion.

tazzman

wildrose

Cecil

Johanna

SCOUTER

Myriam

Froghunter

Kani

Rayban

Bob

Regis

Wood

Clay M

Banwell

Hoyden

jammon

ferret

Beaverslayer

wolfenstien

CitizenKate

ETW Grumpy

broncobuster

rdb

Oscar B

ShirleyZ

ClayB

leatheroo

superchute

Hilly

JLD

Let's take names 'til this Fri. Mar.28, and give a sending out date of Fri. Apr.25. That gives almost a month, does that sound okay?

The squeeky wheel gets the grease EH Wolvie....?

I was actually thinking on doing two things, one for Wolvie, and another for Kate, seeing as she was next in line. Well, ya never know Kate, something may show up anyhow.

Ken

Here's my thoughts on everything....

Johanna puts everyone's names in a hat, and draws one name. That person has to send something to the next name out of the hat, and so on. The last persons name to be drawn has to send something to the first name drawn. That way, you don't get to pick who you want something from, because that wouldn't really be fair.

The item has to be gender appropriate.

Johanna should get the snail mail and email addresses and genders of everyone involved, and send the name and address and gender of the recipient to the sender. Nobody except Johanna should know who has who's name, that way it would be a total suprise to everyone. Nobody would be able to voice preferences because they don't know who has their name.

There should be a deadline set of at least 30 days.

Everyone should send their items out on the same day. That way most everyone would get a package on their doorstep around the same time. It would be sort of like Christmas.

A copy of the pattern/plans should accompany each project! Maybe even photos of the work in progress or photos and a tutorial?

Everyone has to post photos of the item they recieve, and tell who made it.

Now, this is just a thought, but maybe several months later, we could all make the item we recieved (because the plans/patterns were included), and auction them off for a good cause, or something. Maybe give the proceeds to maintain this website or something.

:whatdoyouthink:

I think this is a great idea but you'll have to count me out on this round. I'm in an outage at work and we are working between 60 and 70 hours a week so I'm not home much to do my hobbie. Sorry to miss out but I'll catch the next round hopefully. Thanks and y'all make sure to post pics of what's being passed around. Later.

Here's my thoughts on everything....

Johanna puts everyone's names in a hat, and draws one name. That person has to send something to the next name out of the hat, and so on. The last persons name to be drawn has to send something to the first name drawn. That way, you don't get to pick who you want something from, because that wouldn't really be fair.

The item has to be gender appropriate.

Johanna should get the snail mail and email addresses and genders of everyone involved, and send the name and address and gender of the recipient to the sender. Nobody except Johanna should know who has who's name, that way it would be a total suprise to everyone. Nobody would be able to voice preferences because they don't know who has their name.

There should be a deadline set of at least 30 days.

Everyone should send their items out on the same day. That way most everyone would get a package on their doorstep around the same time. It would be sort of like Christmas.

A copy of the pattern/plans should accompany each project! Maybe even photos of the work in progress or photos and a tutorial?

Everyone has to post photos of the item they recieve, and tell who made it.

Now, this is just a thought, but maybe several months later, we could all make the item we recieved (because the plans/patterns were included), and auction them off for a good cause, or something. Maybe give the proceeds to maintain this website or something.

:whatdoyouthink:

Why give Johanna another thing to do?? The sender and receiver can swap private messages for snail/e mail addresses, no??

Johanna, for one, wrote me thanking me for taking it on. She's got enough on her plate. I'm certainly up for suggestions on how best to do this whole thing, I'm not set on any one way at this point. I've just kinda been "thinking out loud". I take all hints :yes: and try to incorporate what the majority would prefer. I'm somewhat at a loss on one thing though: what to do about overseas shipping. Early on, $ was put by folks' names who were willing to ship overseas/out of country. But I don't really feel it's fair to make that distinction since some people will not have a choice (i.e. they are in a place where everyone else on the list is out of country) Then again, there might be some in the US who simply can't afford to ship out of country. So I'm kinda torn on what to do there.

I do feel the dates I set were fair though, so I think all we need to do is work out who sends to whom. Personally I don't have a problem with the list running as it is, because that's basically how people jumped on board. But if you all have other suggestions, or if the "put names in a hat" seems good for everyone, let's have 'em!

tazzman

wildrose

Cecil

SCOUTER

Myriam

Froghunter

Kani

Rayban

Bob

Regis

Clay M

Banwell

Hoyden

jammon

ferret

Beaverslayer

wolfenstien

CitizenKate

ETW Grumpy

broncobuster

rdb

Oscar B

ShirleyZ

ClayB

leatheroo

superchute

Hilly

JLD

Well,

I've alreaddy sent mine out to tazzman as I promissed to do...Without the pattern, cuz I only have small bits and pieces of it, the rest is drawn directly onto the leather :unsure:

Edited by Tina

Yes, thank you Holly for agreeing to coordinate the exchange. I am swamped. I have a pattern tutorial by Jim Redding to get online, a new horse carving lesson from Kathy, a demonstration of how to do a breast collar from Becky Custer...(you folks are wonderful!) plus my other work, my day job and my mother-in-law is here for a week visiting.

:head_hurts_kr:

Holly- I will do whatever I can to help make this successful- just let me know what you need from me. I'm glad to see all the enthusiasm and I hope everyone has a good time with this.

Johanna

QUOTE: "Early on, $ was put by folks' names who were willing to ship overseas/out of country. But I don't really feel it's fair to make that distinction since some people will not have a choice (i.e. they are in a place where everyone else on the list is out of country) Then again, there might be some in the US who simply can't afford to ship out of country. So I'm kinda torn on what to do there. "

Wildrose,

Maybe you should just keep the names of those of us that were willing to ship overseas. If someone simply can not, then just pick one of us (PM) and we'll make and ship an extra one. Otherwise, I agree with running the list.......although I have some anxiety about making something for someone as experienced as ClayM....WOW,,,,,talk about pressure!!!!

Regis

Edited by Regis

Regis, I believe whatever you make for ClayM he will cherish forever.

Also, seeing as most everyone is "Out of Country" from me, I also have no problems sending overseas or to the good ole USA. It's actually cheaper to send something to the USA than it is to send something across town here in Canada....go figure.

Ken

I am basically game for what ever is decided. I already started making something for the next one on the list (wildrose), but stopped when the debate started about who gets what. Hopefully, things will get nailed down soon as I also have a day job and leather orders to fill. ;) I am also willing to ship out of country. To me, the cost to ship is worth it if the recipient enjoys what is given.

Tina, I will be looking for the package. I can't hardly wait to surprise the wife with it! Thanks again!

Okay, sorry if anyone thought I wasn't happy with the other suggestions. I'm fine with the "list". JLD will be getting a package from me :) Can't wait to get started.

Sorry Johanna and Wild Rose. Didn't mean to step on toes or make more work for anyone.

So are we going by the list, or are you drawing "from the hat'???

Sp far we've had one person send to whoever they want to, another goes by the list...I think it's time for someone to make the call.

Personally I like going by the list. Especially since some have started already. Of course, that shouldn't stop someone from sending to another person ALSO, as some of you have chosen to do.

So if there are no serious complaints in the order as I last put it, or anyone else that wants to drop off the lsit, it will run as is. I'll give folks 'til this Friday to make any comments to the opposite, and then we are going with it.

I know it can seem challenging to send to someone more "experienced" - that's exactly how I feel too. But everything we do is special in some way and nothing to feel anxious about.

Thank you for organising, Wild Rose. The "list" is fine by me. I have some leatherwork to do now, so please excuse me.... :)

Already decided on a uniquely English idea, just got to get it on the leather.

Hey, I'm uniquely English! Send it to me!!!!!

Shirley

Shirley Shirley Shirley.......Things are already going through my "Monarchist" mind as to just what this could be. I love the Queen and anything English.

Well I've already made something special for Kate, and have even started on Wolvies "sqeeky Wheel" project, so the list is fine with me. I'll be doing a turorial on Wolvies as well, so it may be a day or two yet before I send his.....sorry bro.

Ken

Hey, I'm uniquely English! Send it to me!!!!!

Shirley

Has Nevada decided 1776 was a big mistake and applied to become part of the commonwealth? I must have missed that bit on the news.icon10.gif

ferret, Shirley is from England, just lives in Vegas.

Ken

If she's feeling homesick I could send a bottle of rain, the easter snow has melted.