Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

curing/tanning/working with rattler skin

Got this from one of my closest friends, who just moved to Prattville, AL:

"We seem to be a locus for Timber Rattlers here. I have a hide curing on my shed door now -- a little over 4 feet long (snake was close to 5 feet). The rattle was 9 segments. One of our neighbors shot it as it came out of my pasture. Sloppy shot -- tainted the meat and put a couple of large holes in the hide. Still -- it is a snakeskin. How difficult are they to work with? If I get any others, are you interested in having one (or more) -- I can't guarantee a steady supply -- but I'm fairly certain we'll have others in the future. Also -- if I harvest one, are there any special instructions you would have to make it useful to you? (First one's my experimental/educational skin for my homeschooler). "

Holly, they are not hard to tan, but a might smelly.There are some commercial kits out there( reptile tanning ), But I contacted a Taxidermist after getting a batch of rattlesnakes and he gave us his formula.First you must determine where to cut the skin(some snakes such as moccasins have prettier bellies than backs), then cut it, I use a razor knife.Clean all meat particles off it and wash with dishwashing soap and water and hang to dry a bit.When dry I layout and pin down onto cardboard.After mixing the formula(1/3 Acetone,1/3 Denatured alcohol, and 1/3 Glycerin) I lberally apply several coats and let dry.Flip over hide and repeat.after airing out and drying I powder the skins with babypowder and roll up and store in a ziplock storage bag till needed.Just dampen to wipe off babypowder.Dave

Snakeskin1.jpg

Holly, they are not hard to tan, but a might smelly.There are some commercial kits out there( reptile tanning ), But I contacted a Taxidermist after getting a batch of rattlesnakes and he gave us his formula.First you must determine where to cut the skin(some snakes such as moccasins have prettier bellies than backs), then cut it, I use a razor knife.Clean all meat particles off it and wash with dishwashing soap and water and hang to dry a bit.When dry I layout and pin down onto cardboard.

I have a roadkill snakeskin and while I don't expect it to ever be good for more than inserts would like to preserve it as much as possible. Partly cleaned and have it in a tub of water right now.

Just going to bump this thread with my questions:

wondering if I could set the skin out and let insects do the final cleaning or would they go to work on skin too?

dry it, THEN pin it down?

After mixing the formula(1/3 Acetone,1/3 Denatured alcohol, and 1/3 Glycerin) I lberally apply several coats and let dry.Flip over hide and repeat.after airing out and drying

could I use a soaking solution of alcohol and glycerin instead? (acetone seems harsh)

Edited by stanly

I wouldn't let insects attack it.Your skin might get damaged.I haven't tried it without the acetone but I expect it might work, don't know just doing what the taxidermist said.Dave

I wouldn't let insects attack it.Your skin might get damaged.I haven't tried it without the acetone but I expect it might work, don't know just doing what the taxidermist said.Dave

Insect idea seemed questionable after I thought.... went out last night and scraped and washed w/ dishwash soap.

I've heard about removing the membrane....how can I tell if the scraping did this/ what does it look like?

Do I Scrape/ wash&brush until I can see pattern from inside?

OK, now have 2 home recipies/methods:

FWIW: the site that formerly sold a snake tanning kit - rittlesupplies.net - is now a VAMPIRE site.

From - Bob Myers at the Albuquerque International Rattlesnake Museum

(interesting site if u want to learn about Rattlers, also covers skinning)

http://crotalus.kitt...net/tanning.htm

From - Tannery.net

(has simpler recipie)

http://www.thetanner.../snakeskin.html

combination of above - has safety tips

http://www.ehow.com/...snake-skin.html

Seems all I'm missing is glycerin and bunch of push pins

I recently began working with reptile leather. I also found the 50/50 alcohol/glycerin formula, and it has been working fine. It appears there are many ways to preserve a reptile skin. My only question with the 50/50 method is longevity.