Sign in to follow this  
Petsha

Mora Clipper Sheath

P1010404.JPG

I introduced myself as a new member yesterday today I already had a picture request from TomSwede (for that thnx)

here is the first picture since I cant upload them all at once.

the thickness of the leather is 2.5mm I'm sorry to say that I have no clue of the kind of leather or the treatments it got before I laid my hands on the scrap piece at a leather stand (bought it with the idea that it would do the job since the thickness and the roughness of the leather)

as you will see I had some trouble with the knobs of the belt loop, also the stitching at the front is more symmetric tan those on the back.

hope you enjoy and dont hate it that much, all comments are welcome.

Greetz Petsha

post-11430-1250005641_thumb.jpg

oh and I designed the sheath that a mora craftsmen would also fit

P1010405.JPG

P1010407.JPG

post-11430-1250006390_thumb.jpg

post-11430-1250006495_thumb.jpg

IT's a nice to design to start with. I recommend getting some vegetable tanned cowhide, 2,5 -3,5 mm thick or so to work with.

Keep the design as it is but round off the highest corner. With veg. tanned you'll be able to mold it very well and instead of rivets you can easily put a stitching line all the way around the knife to keep things in place. If you have a gouging tool you can put a nice groove (sewing channel) for the stitch to sit in. Makes it look alot better and protects the thread from fraying.

Another good thing with veg. tanned is that you can polish the edges to a high finish but first I'd recommen to bevel them with a edge beveler. If you don't have one you can also sand the edges so that they are rounded and smooth.

It is wise to put some sort of welt in between the two leathers to avoid the knife cutting the sewing thread. A welt is just a trip of leather that goes in between the two leathers.

Keep it up, you're doing fine!!

Tom