jfisher

Singer 31-15 oe Singer 7-34

I haqve an opportunity to buy either a Singer 7-34 or 31-15. I see a lot of posts about the 31-15 but can't find any info on the 7-34. Does anyone have this model of machine? If so, what can you tell me about it? Thx

I haqve an opportunity to buy either a Singer 7-34 or 31-15. I see a lot of posts about the 31-15 but can't find any info on the 7-34. Does anyone have this model of machine? If so, what can you tell me about it? Thx

The 7-34 was a heavy duty flatbed walking foot machine made by Singer. I think they made them from the early 1900's up until about the 1950's or somewhere thereabouts. These machines had what Singer called a "vibrating" presser foot. The walking foot on this machine was not geared to the drive mechanism of the machine, but was instead a sort of "slave" walking foot. As the material was fed, it would press against the walking foot, and then the walking foot would spring back for the next feed cycle.

The 7-34 machines were part of a group of machines that many call the "7 class" machines. These would include the 7-34, 7-33, and many others. Singer made a lot of variations on the 7 class machines over the years.

The 7 class machines were used to stitch heavy material such as harness, logging slings, tow straps, buffing wheels, and the like.

We actually offer a brand new "clone" of the 7-34. We call it the Model 4. Just goes to show you that these machines are still being used today!!!!

Hope this is of some help to you.

31-15

light duty, tailors machine, light leather

small bobbin

thread size 46-99

7-34

heavy duty, canvas and leather

large throat

large hand wheel

large bobbin

thread size 99-346

I have a 31-15 and it will do way more than you think. it is not the ideal machine for alot of what I do but I make it work. dont count it out it is a nice little stitcher.

Thank you. That does help. I had heard of the 7-33 before, but couldn't find any reviews of the 7-34. I'm thinking of buying both of them but was trying to decide if the 7-34 would be worth having shipped across the country.

Thx

Thank you. That does help. I had heard of the 7-33 before, but couldn't find any reviews of the 7-34. I'm thinking of buying both of them but was trying to decide if the 7-34 would be worth having shipped across the country.

Thx

The 7-33 has a larger bobbin, than the 7-34, otherwise they are very similar.

Buy the 31-15! Then you can buy my 7-34 :rofl: . Seriously, both are great machines for their respective purposes. I had an extention presser foot lifter put on my 7-34 years ago and it will EASILY sew through 1" thickness leather or leather/felt combo. It works great; i just don't have any use for it any more. It is for sale if anyone is interested. Only problem: you would have to come to Memphis to get it. I'm afraid shipping would be outragous. It weighs a ton (or there abouts)

Buy the 31-15! Then you can buy my 7-34 rofl.gif . Seriously, both are great machines for their respective purposes. I had an extention presser foot lifter put on my 7-34 years ago and it will EASILY sew through 1" thickness leather or leather/felt combo. It works great; i just don't have any use for it any more. It is for sale if anyone is interested. Only problem: you would have to come to Memphis to get it. I'm afraid shipping would be outragous. It weighs a ton (or there abouts)

Hi. I have a 7-34 and I was wondering about the lift you had put on it. Do you remember who did it, about how much it cost, and if it is something I could do myself? Any help I could get would be appreciated. I love the machine but it isn't quite heavy enough.

MJS,We have modified alot of 7's over the years & even have added reverse to them,the high lift invovles taking the needdlebar & pressure bar off & cutting approx 3/8" of metal off the bottom of the casting that they run through since this is the contact point when lifting higher.

If you look @ the hand lifter & notice the thin piece of metal on the side you notice a gap @ the bottom,stick screwdriver in the gap & you'll notice it'll lift higher,this slot @ the bottom is what we fill in & as you lift it higher you'll see where it starts hitting.