Sign in to follow this  
troy

32 bight pineapple - rawhide

Just made this to cover a knife sheath - I'm no where near good with prepping rawhide but all I did was cut from the hide with a tandy lace cutter (need new sharp blade) the same way I have shown in the braided quiver PDF in the quiver section. Then soak in warm water for about 10 minutes and started braiding - It did dry slightly towards the end of making the knot but I just carried it on - then took it off the dowel and soaked again, placed in a plastic bag until I put it in place tomorrow.

The way I braided this was to follow the one string pattern for a 13 bight 12 part pineapple illustrated on this PDF tutorial - after half way through it you should notice the pattern being created and just keep following it.

the dowel is 2 inches in diameter - placed the nails 4 inches apart - lace is 3.5mm and forgot to measure the length, I just wound it around all the 32 nails to see what length I needed but I'd say it was about 8m.

DSCF6113.JPG

post-182-1250710623_thumb.jpg

Troy

Nice looking knot that's alot of bights. The v's all look nice and straight my only thought is how loose the bights look. Are ya going to go back and re tighten the knot to tighten the bights up. Just wondering Thanks for sharing

Mike

Troy

Nice looking knot that's alot of bights. The v's all look nice and straight my only thought is how loose the bights look. Are ya going to go back and re tighten the knot to tighten the bights up. Just wondering Thanks for sharing

Mike

The knot shown in the photo above was just off of the dowel or mandrel and had'nt been tigthen up. The photo below shows it placed onto the sheath and the dip in the top middle was actually intentional - just thought it would look different then the usual level look. I normally tigthen my knots twice to make them really tight but only did it once with this as it took so long and am hoping that as the rawhide dries that it tigthens up nicely - if not, then it was good practise, in the end it has already done it's job of firmly fixing the leather look in place.

dscf6117.JPG

Edited by troy

Very nice!