Sign in to follow this  
frank207

Swivel Knife Blades

Hi,

When I bought my Tandy Kit last year it came with a swivel knife. I have not been doing any carving, just stamping. This winter I want to do a rifle sling and carve someones initials and maybe some other small projects, I'm not big on flower carving yet.

My question is: What would you recommend for blades? size, angles, ceramic vs. metal? Carving is not a priority of mine right now, I'm just looking to have the right tool for the job when I get to it.

As always, thanks in advance.

Frank

DID YOURS COME WITH A 3/8 STRAIGHT BLADE? I WOULD PRACTICE WITH THAT ON SCRAP PIECES AND ALSO CHECK OUT THE POSTS ON CASING LEATHER,HIDEPOUNDER HAS HIS STEPS LISTED AND HE USES IVORY SOAP ON THE LEATHER WHICH I TRYED AND THAT HELPED ALOT.

The 3/8 straight blade that came with your kit will suffice. Just need to make sure and strop it often. Then practice a lot on scrap pieces. Do a search on here for swivel knives and for the blades. There has been a lot of info posted on this subject

The first thing with that new blade is you need to strop the thing up until it is smooth. I use the white rouge and strips cut from a file folder. Then doodle away on scraps ... a lot. The guys I know that are good use their swivel knife a lot. Either doodling away or making something they are always carving.

Frank,

Here are a couple of threads on this subject that I think you will find informative:

Thread #1, Thread #2

If you still have questions, please ask.

Hope this helps....

Bobby