gtwister09

Pigskin for Horn Wrap

I have seen a couple of advertisements for pigskin wrapped horns on some Wade saddles and was wondering about them. Last night I was reading an article in the Western Horseman and saw a saddle in the article with a pigskin horn wrap from Big Bend I believe.

I was wondering a few things about them....

How many have used them before? If you have used them what is your opinion of them all around? Your likes/dislikes, pros/cons and any information you would want to share.

Regards,

Ben

I have seen a couple of advertisements for pigskin wrapped horns on some Wade saddles and was wondering about them. Last night I was reading an article in the Western Horseman and saw a saddle in the article with a pigskin horn wrap from Big Bend I believe.

How many have used them before? If you have used them what is your opinion of them all around? Your likes/dislikes, pros/cons and any information you would want to share.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

I tried using pigskin about a year ago for a hornwrap and my impression was that it would not hold up very long. The skin I had looked like pearl splits but was not as thick. I may have just not had the right tannage for this purpose.

GW

Regards,

Ben

The saddle I am currently riding had pighide for a horn wrap when I got it. I thought that it started out a little slower than mulehide, but after you slipped a little rope it slicked up and sped up just like the mulehide. I found that it lasts a LOT longer than mulehide does, and I would have put another one on, but I couldn't find any at the time and so I have chap leather on now. I have roped on mulehide, latigo, chap leather, and pig hide and I would have to say I like the pighide really well. It won't last as long as using an old latigo to wrap your horn but its a close second. Hope that helps ya out.

Lucas

Thanks Gary and Lucas! One for one... Lucas what type of pigskin did you use specifically?

Regards,

Ben

I don't guess I know specifically...lol... It was a top grain leather instead of a split so that might have a lot to do with why it lasted so well, and it was thicker than most mulehide you can get nowadays.

Lucas

Thanks Gary and Lucas! One for one... Lucas what type of pigskin did you use specifically?

Regards,

Ben

crome tan pig 6/7 or 7/8 oz will out wear any thing out there !!!!!!! try The Hide House or Stevenson Paxton

I didn't say the pertysted

I've used mulehide for some time now, buddy told me about pigskin so i tried it I think it lasts a little bit longer. If you are guna be doing ranch roping or roping big stuff mama cows, bulls etc. then I definatly recommend it. The point is to be able to slip a little rope at a time. Also, if you are roping off a young horse you can use it as a horn wrap and slip him some rope it helps build their confidence makes em think they are pulling even if they really arn't itl keep them from quitting on you. I think mule hide or pigskin is the way to go and if I had to choose between the two it would be the pigskin.