ABC3

Artisan Toro 3000

Has anyone on this forum purchased a new Toro 3000 within the last 10 months ? If so - any problems, likes, dislikes, ect.

Thanks for your input.

I got an Artisan Toro 3000 this spring, and it is so straightforward even an idiot like me can use it sucessfully. It's well built, sturdy,and has all the bells and whistles (love that servo motor!) that anyone could ask for.

I wish I would have had it back when we the had a custom leather shop ten years ago. It would have paid for itself quickly and taken the shop to the next level of income.

I have had excellent supprt for the machine from Jerry, Wade (my dear husband) and even Steve, but honestly, I haven't needed much. It's a great machine at a good price, in my humble opinion. But by all means, talk to the other dealers and see what they have to offer too. They can answer your questions. Sewing machines are investments, and the dealers can help you make the right machine choice for what you intend to sew with it.

Jerry (Artisan) 888-838-1408 http://artisansew.com

Steve (Cobra) 1-866-962-9880 http://leathermachineco.com

Ryan O. Neel (Cowboy) 1-866-507-8926 www.cowboysew.com

HTH

Johanna

Johanna - you have PM

Hi Hobby Tom, like Johanna says, contact all the dealers and see what they have to offer, the info is free, but you can be sure, no matter what you buy, I will be there to help you with any problem you may encounter. Thanks, Steve

HobbyTom:

Something you might want to consider in the purchase of the machine is after-sale service. I've had the opportunity to work/deal with all three mentioned in this thread. My experience has been far less than stellar with respect to Artisan. There's been two instances in particular that have caused me to choose not to deal with them again, even though the three machines of their's that I have are now covered by their extended warranty. One instance happened approximately 3 years ago; the second (and final) instance happened last month.

On the flip side, I've known Ryan for approximately 7 years now and have bought numerous machines from him. I've known Steve for approximately 4 years. Both of these folks have always helped with any issues/questions about machines, whether it was one of theirs or someone else's brand. IMO, it's the customer service that enhances the deal.

If I were allowed to make a recommendation I would get the same machine as the 3000 from either Ryan or Steve. Best of luck to you in your search.

K-Man,

You have a PM if it went through. If not email me.....

K-Man,

You have a PM if it went through. If not email me.....

Hobby Tom:

Your pm did not come through. I sent you a pm and email.

Edited by K-Man

Kevin, Sorry about the PM. I would like to know more about your problems with Artisan. When you have time give me a call (678/520-2695). I'm thinking about just selling it. It only has about 3 or 4 spools of thread through it so it's still new. Anyway have a great day. Tom

Hobby Tom:

Your pm did not come through. I sent you a pm and email.

Has anyone on this forum purchased a new Toro 3000 within the last 10 months ? If so - any problems, likes, dislikes, ect.

Thanks for your input.

Hey Hobby Tom, I just bought a Cobra from Leather Machine. It was less expensive and I feel it is probably as good or better than the Toro. Steve also has a great warranty and super customer service. I had some local shipping problems and Steve got right on it. I had my machine quickly. I started using it right away and love the speed and control that I have. I have an Artisan 797 and Steve used to help me with it when he worked for that company. I did not hesitate to buy a Cobra from him when he started his company. I'll tell ya, he will work with you and support you. The price was great and the machine does everything advertised. Contact me if you need to.

Thanks, friends, I appreciate it! Steve

Thanks for your input.

Tom, I just purchased a Toro 4000 and it is an awesome machine. It took about an hour to set it up and I never had to touch anything on it or adjust anything, I just started using it and have been doing so for 5 days non-stop. I use it to repair and build saddles and harnesses and it is great. It has the slow stitch-by-stitch speed that I like and the punch capability of going through 3/4" of leather and then down to 1/4" and still not missing a stitch is unbelievable. I was using a hand stitching machine before and the comparison between the two is a joke. This Artisan is a great machine. I also got exceptional service from the group of people at Artisan, especially Dave who helped me with my decision of which machine to buy.. Thanks ron

I can't say that I am a quick enough study to learn a new machine and do pro work on it in less than a week but my cobra class 4 is A gem and it is very user friendly it took me about about 3 hours two set up and I used It on scraps for 8 hours straight and got pretty comfortable with it.

Any machine you get needs to be tuned for what you are doing and this helps you get to know it.

One last thing from my view point is that any and all machines take practice to use so take the time and don't think it's like magic do your home work folks.

Josh

campbell 3 004 (2).jpgcampbell 3 005 (2).jpgcampbell 3 002.jpgI noticed one could buy an Artisan 3000 for $ 2 350 up till last month. This month they dropped the price with $ 500 from the company you can trust. I will stay away from these chi-com machines an find an American made machine. You can find an old needle and awl machine for a good price and it will outsew any new Chinese made machine

These pictures show different machines with same thread size and set stitch length. On the artisan you will notice a deviation in stitches and it will not track straight that easy

post-7003-125235910099_thumb.jpg

post-7003-125235910864_thumb.jpg

post-7003-125235911733_thumb.jpg

campbell 3 004 (2).jpgcampbell 3 005 (2).jpgcampbell 3 002.jpgI noticed one could buy an Artisan 3000 for $ 2 350 up till last month. This month they dropped the price with $ 500 from the company you can trust. I will stay away from these chi-com machines an find an American made machine. You can find an old needle and awl machine for a good price and it will outsew any new Chinese made machine

These pictures show different machines with same thread size and set stitch length. On the artisan you will notice a deviation in stitches and it will not track straight that easy

Hey jman, I respect your opinion. I like your straight-forwardness. I agree about needle and awl machines, if you can find one in great condition, and you are not concerned about reverse or a long arm, Dan and Connie Naegle from Campbell-Bosworth can help you. They are both my friends, and I will back them whenever I can, just as they do for me. I can assure you that the COBRA line of stitchers have no variance in stitches and make a beautiful back tack. There are hundreds of satisfied owners that will attest to that. There are different grades of factories in China, I deal with the best. Like for instance, my machines are painted on the outside, as well as on the inside(no other company that sells Chinese machines does this, except me), with the best protective ingredients available. It doesn't sound like much, but it will protect the casting from corrosion and rust, which will prevent cracking and chipping. Sometimes it's the little things, but the little things add up to big things. As for the "company you can trust" we will let the people decide. Thanks, Steve

Hey jman, I respect your opinion. I like your straight-forwardness. I agree about needle and awl machines, if you can find one in great condition, and you are not concerned about reverse or a long arm, Dan and Connie Naegle from Campbell-Bosworth can help you. They are both my friends, and I will back them whenever I can, just as they do for me.....

Since the needle & awl was brought in to the conversation, I'll weigh in briefly on our machine, but I'll stay out of the Artisan, Cobra, Cowboy debate.

• I wanted to clarify that although needle and awl machines don't have reverse (due to the two step function of the needle and awl system), contrary to popular belief, you can back tack. We actually recommend back tacking with synthetic thread, and its as easy as lifting the foot and stitching over your last few stitches.
  • The throat is narrower than longer arm machines (9-1/4"), but this doesn't keep many custom saddle makers from sewing large pieces like skirts.
  • The stitch will be cleaner and tighter than a single needle machine due to the design of the machine. The needle and awl replicates the hand sewing process, and although the machine was designed over 125 years ago, it is still very popular among custom makers and large scale manufactures.
  • These machines will cost more than other machines on the market, since they are not mass produced and we still manufacture and assemble our machines in the USA. You can find used machines for less, just do your homework since many our our machines have been in use for decades. In my opinion, the "temperamental" reputation some have given these machines has a lot to do with people working with old, worn machines without proper training.

If you are looking for an in expensive machine, give Steve, Ryan or the others a call. If you are picky about your stitch quality and want a dependable American made machine, we would be happy to help.

I would have to say that I'm pretty picky about my stitch quality, both with respect to durability and appearance. I've only used the Neel Saddlery and Artisan machines in my business. We've had what some would view as some great successes, and in some of those instances have done better than those making the same products with the needle and awl machines. I have personally seen some products made with the needle and awl machines, and they do a magnificent job no doubt. My perspective and belief is that the skill lies more with the craftsman utilizing the equipment than with the machine itself.

I can't say that I am a quick enough study to learn a new machine and do pro work on it in less than a week but my cobra class 4 is A gem and it is very user friendly it took me about about 3 hours two set up and I used It on scraps for 8 hours straight and got pretty comfortable with it.

Any machine you get needs to be tuned for what you are doing and this helps you get to know it.

One last thing from my view point is that any and all machines take practice to use so take the time and don't think it's like magic do your home work folks.

Josh

I also did about 4 or 5 hours of straight stitching on some scraps, but it doesnt take that much time to figure out a really good machine, especially if you have done a lot of stitching on a hand crank machine as well as other lighter weight machines. My Pfaff will outstitch any other machine around on lighter leather, but wont do 12-14oz skirting without knoching it out of timing occassionally. This blog is starting to look like a ford vs chevy discussion or a dunk em vs sprinkle discussion. LOL

Im sure everybody's machine is a good one, I like mine and thats the only thing I really care about, I have nothing bad to say about it yet and dont think I will in the future. Opinions are like air, there's plenty of it, some good - some bad. What you buy and can live with is strictly your choice.

Good sewing to everybody.

..... This blog is starting to look like a ford vs chevy discussion or a dunk em vs sprinkle discussion. LOL

Im sure everybody's machine is a good one, I like mine and thats the only thing I really care about, I have nothing bad to say about it yet and dont think I will in the future. Opinions are like air, there's plenty of it, some good - some bad. What you buy and can live with is strictly your choice.

Good sewing to everybody.

That's why I hesitate jumping into these "who's machine is best" discussions. I feel like we are talking about somebody's dog, or even kid. Somebody will eventually get offended if you talk about, or don't talk about their favorite.

Bottom line - there is not one machine that will be everything to everyone. Every machine has its pro's and con's. It all comes down to what will work for your needs.

Edited by CampbellRandall

Bottom line - there is not one machine that will be everything to everyone. Every machine has its pro's and con's. It all comes down to what will work for your needs.

I think that's part of the trick to getting the right sewing machine for your shop. What do you intend to do with your machine? How will it be used? What are your expectations?

The manufacturers and dealers are getting better about providing more education and support for their products. They know that many of you, hard hit by the recession, are trying to take your business to the next level. Being leatherworkers, we're limited to what our two hands can produce. A machine can change that and get you out of "custom" and into "production", where the price may be lower but the steady check is there because of the volume.

It is up to you, the consumer, to do your homework and find out what machine is going to meet your needs. Talk to the sellers, talk to the old timers, walk into a shoe shop, bring a pizza and ask questions. You may need an assortment of machines to get your jobs done. You may zip along with a new model if your needs aren't too specific. You may need a loving restored older machine because you like them, most of you are tool junkies at heart, and you don't want a "one size fits all model".

The forum is an excellent place to bounce these questions around experts and experienced people. I have to say I admire the sewing machine vendors for their professional assessments without name calling, and fords and chevys arguments. They are being straight up- this what what my machine does, it works like this, and this is what it is for. Thank you guys for spending some time teaching, and helping the curious understand the mysteries of sewing machine land. I hope you sell a zillion machines to customers who made smart decisions by spending the time figuring out what was best for their plans and their budget.

Johanna

Johanna, thank you for recognizing the 4 and ONLY 4 sewing machine dealers that have helped the LW members with our information regarding sewing machines. The 4 that you are addressing are: Dan Naegle from Campbell Bosworth, Ryan Neel from Cowboy Sewing Machines, Bob Kovar from Toledo Sewing Machine Co., and myself, Cobra Steve from the Leather Machine Co., Inc. If I may be allowed to speak for my friends,( which we are), we do this to help the good people on LW. As for name calling, we are not only friends, but professionals as well. Remember, Dan and Ryan are "Resident Pros" on leatherpros.net, and I speak to Bob frequently. Even though we are competitors(to a degree), we will always respect each other. So thanks again for honoring the 4 and ONLY 4 sewing machine dealers that are here for LW members, no matter what. Thanks, Steve

i've had my Cobra class 3 for several months now and it is running like a dream. i am only kicking myself for not buying it sooner.

Tony