pella

What weigth leather for a rigid briefcase?

Hi

title say all. I am wondering what weight would be great to make a unlined brifcase (laptop case, 2 compartment, with shoulder strap) ideally with bridle leather.

I was thinking 6-7oz but it is very difficult to find in a finished color (i dont want a russet leather) :( . 7-8oz ok?

Guy want it protective enough (rigid).

I have found a nice brown latigo but i am not sure because of chrome edges.

I will hand-stitch this bag, so thinner the better, but need to stay firm...

thanks to expert

Hi

title say all. I am wondering what weight would be great to make a unlined brifcase (laptop case, 2 compartment, with shoulder strap) ideally with bridle leather.

I was thinking 6-7oz but it is very difficult to find in a finished color (i dont want a russet leather) sad.gif . 7-8oz ok?

Guy want it protective enough (rigid).

I have found a nice brown latigo but i am not sure because of chrome edges.

I will hand-stitch this bag, so thinner the better, but need to stay firm...

thanks to expert

I'm not the expert you're hoping for, as I don't have a clue as to a suitable weight for your project. I would like to suggest Wickett & Craig for the bridle leather, if that's what you really want. They have English Bridle leather in Tan, chestnut, medium brown, burgundy, dark brown and black. All very nice stuff! I wonder if W & C could recommend a weight for your needs? Try calling them at 1-800-TANNERY.

And no, I'm not affiliated. I just like their leather.

Hi...I think I'd be using 8-9 at least, and skiving where necessary, so that you can sew it, and fold it, and all that other happy stuff. I'm kind of a believer in using as heavy of leather as possible in applications like that... The bridle leathers, and even Hermann veg leather would really make a nice case. Best wishes! :)

Kevin Hopkins

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I may end with an heavier leather finally, i have to order "custom made" leather to get thinner weigth...so i am thinking making the bag with angled stitching (like a military cartridge box).

Or Kevin, can you explain to me if you skive on all borders were stitching will be? Because i am figuring 8+8oz that make 16oz edges, thats pretty heavy.

Anyone have a picture of a brifcase made with heavy bridle leather? I did not find on the forum.

Edited by pella

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I may end with an heavier leather finally, i have to order "custom made" leather to get thinner weigth...so i am thinking making the bag with angled stitching (like a military cartridge box).

Or Kevin, can you explain to me if you skive on all borders were stitching will be? Because i am figuring 8+8oz that make 16oz edges, thats pretty heavy.

Anyone have a picture of a brifcase made with heavy bridle leather? I did not find on the forum.

Hi,

5-8 oz leather works well for the briefcase. If you are usng latigo I suggest you be aware that if it rubs against your skirt or blouse it WILL stain it! Pictures and construction help are in the Al Stohlman books, volumes one thru three. I think the name is something like " Making Leather Cases" or something close to that creative title! (tic)

Hope it helps!

dianne

This is an old thread, i did finish this bag, with 7-8oz bridle leather, picture attached. I hand-stitch at an angle.

Thickness was perfect.

This is an old thread, i did finish this bag, with 7-8oz bridle leather, picture attached. I hand-stitch at an angle.

Thickness was perfect.

It looks great! I really like the style of it. Can you post some more pictures - of the insides and the straps?

Dave

Very nice. Is the strap an English girth? That's what popped in my head when I saw it.

Dan

I am glad you like the bag! The strap is inspired by the old fashion english girth straps.

Sorry pics are not very good. No picture of the inside, i did place a separator in the middle, there is no lining.

That turned out excellent. Construction looks very good with nice stitching. That leather looks really nice also. That bag should last a very very long time.