Gary Winckler

Stirrup Leather widths

I would be interested in other saddle maker's opinions on stirrup leather width. I build most of my saddles with 3" wide leathers but have had a couple of saddle makers say they think 2 1/2" leathers are sufficient. What are some of your opinions on this topic?

Gary, 2 1/2" is my standard. I have made many miles riding 2 1/2" leathers, and I have not seen any disadvantage. I have found the advantage to be quicker break in time. JW

Gary,

Pretty much 2-1/2" unless a guy really wants 3". Besides breaking in faster, I think they hang up less on latigos for shorter legs. They turn better on twisted leathers and I can have buckles a little lower with the 2-1/2s too.

I build all 3 " unless ordered 2 1/2".Most everything I build goes back to a ranch and gets rode hard.I also put in alot of laced ed leathers.Way I ways was taugt 37 yrs. ago.Has worked for me .

Steve

Ditto what the other guys are saying, I use 2 1/2" as my standard also, for all the reasons posted above, plus on pleasure and show saddles a lot on my customers seem to think that weight is a factor, so I use less leather where ever I can without degrading the durability of the piece. I go to 3" when they are to be used "hard" on ranch saddles. Calf ropers and the like. As far as lacing vs: blevins buckles. I use blevins as a standard, but; will lace if asked for by the customer. My personal saddle is laced.

Bondo Bob Custom Saddles

Ditto what the other guys are saying, I use 2 1/2" as my standard also, for all the reasons posted above, plus on pleasure and show saddles a lot on my customers seem to think that weight is a factor, so I use less leather where ever I can without degrading the durability of the piece. I go to 3" when they are to be used "hard" on ranch saddles. Calf ropers and the like. As far as lacing vs: blevins buckles. I use blevins as a standard, but; will lace if asked for by the customer. My personal saddle is laced.

Bondo Bob Custom Saddles

Thanks to everyone for your replies. As a related question....what are your preferences, pros and cons, of Blevins buckles, Superior Quick Change buckles, and lacing? I have never laced a set of stirrup leathers and would like to see how some of you do this. Thanks.

2 1/2" is my standard width and I use the Superior Quick Change buckles.

/ Knut

I use 3" because that's what my customers want. I sure wouldn't Be scared of 2 1/2 s for myself.

I am curious about why on various posts calf roping saddles seem to deem the need for 3" leathers. They don,t seem to put in a lot of miles. In fact it seems they are happiest when they make the shortest trip possible and the successful ones always tied to the horn not their stirrups.

2 1/2 w/ Superior for most. 3" with regular Blevins for twist & wrapped. Oh yes & 3" for laced which are rightly rare these days

All my customers want 2 1/2" Cause they can get more fowward swing than 3". Also I use Reg. Blevins unless asked for something else.

I do 2 1/2" except at the bottom of the fender I go to 3".for the twist and stirrup axle. More stirrup choices with a 3" axle. Best of both worlds. I also line and stitch webbing as reinforcement. No stretch that way. I paint a light coat of spar eurathane on the edges of the webbing to help with the little bit of friction fraying that can happen. May be overkill...

Rufus