bkeller

Hi Everyone.. New Guy Here From Pa.

Hi Everyone.

My name is Brad, I live in Delomnt Pa, Near Pittsbuirgh. Back in Junior High achool I was first introduced to leather crafting in my industrial arts class. I made a nice looking sheath for a hunting knife. Not to long ago my wife told me that I needed to get a hobby to occupy some of my free time. Well I remembered that class and thought it would be nice to get back into leathercrafting, so here I am. There is a Tandy store not to far from me. I recently bought a couple of the basic kits, for my two kids, on sale from the store, mainly for the boys to make their mother a birthday present. They seem to enjoy stamping the leather and putting the projects together. Looking on the web I found this site and think it is great, lots of tips, and information.

My question is that what would you all suggest as far as what equipment I should get to start off? I dont want to , shell out too much for alot of tools I may never use, I just want the basics enough to do more projects than the coasters, keyfobs etc. included in the basic kits. I am interested in making just about anything I can. The kids want to help of course. I dont want to try anything too difficult, or expensive to start. I have a workbench in my garage that is sturdy enough to use. I am also looking into getting a scrap piece of granite or marble from one of the countertop installers around here. any ideas? Also amy reasonably priced starter books you can recomend would be appreciated also.

I am hoping this is something my two boys and myself can do together for quite a while.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

WELCOME BKELLER.....Hope you enyoy your self here.

ThiS is what i did to get me started in LEATHER WORK.

Decide on what items that you want to make .....then take a visit to the Tandy store

and buy the tools that you need to make those items.

You will see that with a few tools you will be able to make a lot of different things.

good luck

Edited by Luke Hatley

Brad welcome to the greatest place to learn (because we have the most helpful people). Luke hit it right on the head. Only think I could add is to buy some scrap pieces similar to what you are using on you first projects so you can practice some with the toos you buy.

And, I'm from near you in Irwin. Hadn't lived in PA for many many years though.

Regis

Hi Everyone.

My name is Brad, I live in Delomnt Pa, Near Pittsbuirgh. Back in Junior High achool I was first introduced to leather crafting in my industrial arts class. I made a nice looking sheath for a hunting knife. Not to long ago my wife told me that I needed to get a hobby to occupy some of my free time. Well I remembered that class and thought it would be nice to get back into leathercrafting, so here I am. There is a Tandy store not to far from me. I recently bought a couple of the basic kits, for my two kids, on sale from the store, mainly for the boys to make their mother a birthday present. They seem to enjoy stamping the leather and putting the projects together. Looking on the web I found this site and think it is great, lots of tips, and information.

My question is that what would you all suggest as far as what equipment I should get to start off? I dont want to , shell out too much for alot of tools I may never use, I just want the basics enough to do more projects than the coasters, keyfobs etc. included in the basic kits. I am interested in making just about anything I can. The kids want to help of course. I dont want to try anything too difficult, or expensive to start. I have a workbench in my garage that is sturdy enough to use. I am also looking into getting a scrap piece of granite or marble from one of the countertop installers around here. any ideas? Also amy reasonably priced starter books you can recomend would be appreciated also.

I am hoping this is something my two boys and myself can do together for quite a while.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Hi, Brad:

you may want to talk to Deb Collins about the introductory kit- it's got some of the basic tools that everyone has, plus it has a bunch of beginner kits that you can use to work on for practice/personal use. If you don't want to go that route, get some small checkered bevelers (B936, 701 & 198- check to see which tools in each bin work better than the others [you're close so you can try each of the tools- most folks don't have that option]- all tools are not alike, contrary to what you may be told. You can try & buy other tools, too, like pear shaders, cams, veiners, etc.). Also, have Deb pick out some veg-tan scrap so you can play with & practice, & maybe get a simple craftaid or 2, plus a yard of tracing film to trace your own designs. I believe she also runs classes, that can really help, too.

I'm from Altoona, so if you really need some help, I'm only about 1-1/2 hours away (although it's best to contact me first with a pm, since I'm often unavailable- I deliver flowers 3 days a week & I'm getting ready for a huge show at the end of the month). Best of luck in this addiction. :evillaugh:

russ

Hi, Brad! I'm from Charleroi, and the first Tandy store I worked at was the old one on 22, closer to Monroeville. You've gotten some great advice in this thread-but especially "talk to Deb!" She can help you get what you need for what you and your kids want to do without breaking the family budget. Leather is a great hobby to share with the kids. Not only is it fun, but it can save your sanity during things like ice storms (don't ask me how I know this! smile.gif )

Welcome to LW! Glad to have you here!

Johanna

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am very glad I found this site. Out of all the sites I have visited the last few days I keep being drawn back to this one. Must be good. I will try to take the advice and thanks again to all..smile.gif