KnotHead

Georg Schaake

You may wish to know that Georg Schaake of New Zealand, co-author withJohn Turner of Turk's Heads and Mobius Trees, passed away today(yesterday?) as reported by Europa Chang in England. He apparentlyproduced some 3000 pages of work on braiding with real knots, accordingto History of Knots & Everything. He was a brilliant scholar andbraider of great renown. He was also known for authoring The Braider magazine back in his day. I have the great privilege of owning all the issues of that magazine along with some other materials that were co-authored. Some really brilliant math work in all of the materials.

:rip_1:

I don't know any of the details of his death.

Brian...

i heard from John Turner, i wish i could have met him but i have T Halls books and atleast thats how i found out about him and yes his work was great !!! any one who reads this look up Shaake and John Turners webpage will come up he made that page in honor of Shaake and offers ALL the isues of the braider on CD for $5. dlrs ONLY GET THEM and help support him he just wants to get Shaakes work out ther so it wont be lost. and it wont hurt to have extra matterial for your self.

I've just written the guy, and if/when I hear back from him I'll post here what he said.

It sounds like a very cool project, what a wonderful way to memorialize someone, and what a very kind friend for doing this.

I do hope you hear from John. I think he knows what an email is, but I don't know if he knows how to reply. I sent him several emails last year and got no response. Of course I don't have the title Dr. in front of my name either. But the material is well worth having in the library. I do hope you get a response from him.

Brian...

OK, just heard from John! He says that if you are having trouble with PayPal, to write him and he will send you an invoice, so you can pay with that. He just did it for me and it worked like a charm. Here is the email, take out the spaces of course and replace the "dot" with a . and replace "at" with a @. jcturner at clear dot net dot nz

He asked me to do a favor for him and post the following where ever I could. I will also post this on my website when I finally get a chance to update it:

There is an amazing CD available from website: jcturner.fortunecity.com -- It contains all 60 issues of a Journal which presents Georg Schaake's life-work on Braiding. Over 1600 pages of theory, practical methods, and general comment about how to design and make braids of many types. Georg took over 30 years to work out all these ideas, and put them on paper. Sadly, he died this June, after a long battle against cancer and related problems. John Turner is trying to spread these ideas around the world, so that they don't become forgotten. Only US$5 will get you a copy of the CD. Look on the website for full details. Knots are more numerous than the stars: and equally mysterious and beautiful .... (John Turner, 1988)

I just sent my money. I sent it through PayPay buy just using the "SEND MONEY" feature and the e-mail address. Seemed to go through just fine. We'll see!

Love and Light,

Maeve

I have an update to this topic.

I have since been given full authority and full torch to The Braiders Journal. Full re-print and distrubution rights. I have all the volumes + more in drop box and in google drive. If you wish to have these pamphletes and books let me know which medium you have installed on your computer and I will be glad to send you a link to all the pdf files.

I have also started a facebook page in the same name in honor of Georg Schaake, John Turner and the others involved with this Journal. Please PM me on facebook if you wish to join.

Brian...

Sent you a link via your email.

Brian.

Glad you got this going, Brian. Would you send me the link for Drop Box. Not sure I can understand all the technical stuff but will be great to try. Also, if you would please give me some info about the CD that is being offered. Sounds like it is a copy of the magazines. Is that true?

Thanks Brian.

Edited by rcsaddles

I need your email Joe.

Brian...

Brian, would you please send me a link in google drive..johncmarshall8@gmail.com. Thanks from Texas.

Link sent via email bro.

Hi Brian. Good of you to be doing this. Please send the link or Dropbox to dale.bickell@worldonline.co.za Many thanks. Dale.

Brian , Thank you so much for the files.Man what a wealth of knowledge. This is what carrying on a tradition is all about. If you are ever down this way give me a shout. Adiós Amigo.

Sent invite out to you isaac.

Which link would you like? Google Drive or Dropbox.

Please send link to footballl@hotmail.com
Thank you

No problem. I will do that JC. Here's what I've found while reading Georg's work. He was a braider and a braider that was at the least 30yrs a head of his time.

Brian , Thank you so much for the files.Man what a wealth of knowledge. This is what carrying on a tradition is all about. If you are ever down this way give me a shout. Adiós Amigo.

Hi Brian,thanks received the files.Mindblowing,now need to hide away and digest it all.This is really special.

Which link would you like? Google Drive or Dropbox.

Google. footballfam@hotmail.com

Thanks

Edited by Chewysmom

Sent out link via email.

Brian...

Google. footballfam@hotmail.com
Thanks

If you're into the math part. You'll find it interesting that the math is a math that was partially re-invented just for braiding and knot tying. He mainly used modular mathematics.

You'll also find that Georg was quite a braider himself.

Brian..

Hi Brian,thanks received the files.Mindblowing,now need to hide away and digest it all.This is really special.

2015 - For some unknown reason in Volume 1 issue 15, 2 pages are missing. Pages 344 and 345. Discovered by Issac...

Link sent via email.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Kindly link me as well...

ccastle at gmail dot com - google drive preferred.

-C