Here's a project I've been working on lately. I've got almost finished. All I have to add is the base for it to sit on.

Enjoy, and as always, feel free to critique.

Marlon

Stirrup_Lamp1.JPG

Stirrup_Lamp2.JPG

Stirrup_Lamp3.JPG

post-3307-1206371246_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1206371255_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1206371263_thumb.jpg

Hey man! That's a totally fun and crazy idea but it works!

I love it! Basketweaving looks great too.

Is it dressed with foam or wood or??? inside the lining?

A stirrup lamp! Gotta be your own idea!

Tom

Not my idea, but a great one indeed.

The only wood that's used is the block that goes across the top. There will also be a base made of wood that the stirrup will sit on (It's still drying with stain which is why it's not pictured. The stirrup is made of hard plastic. I'm sure you can find wooden stirrups though, but I'm sure more expensive.

Thanks for the compliments.

Marlon

Looks awesome! What a great idea!

Wow - that's really nice. Good work!

No way am I showing that picture to my husband - he'd be out in the barn taking my saddle apart for a pair of those, and mine are nice old wooden stirrups.

I have to say though, since I hate plastic stirrups - that's the best use I've ever seen for them. ;)

Not my idea, but a great one indeed.

The only wood that's used is the block that goes across the top. There will also be a base made of wood that the stirrup will sit on (It's still drying with stain which is why it's not pictured. The stirrup is made of hard plastic. I'm sure you can find wooden stirrups though, but I'm sure more expensive.

Thanks for the compliments.

Marlon

I think that when I was still at Hide Crafter we sold more of the plastic stirrup's for lamps, they carry the lamp parts to at a reasonable price too. Just have to come up with you own base. George did a video on making the stirrup lamps.

Very nice, Marlon! Now you need to make a rawhide lamp shade to go with it. That's right up your alley, right, Rawhide? On the next one (you do have 2 stirrups, don't you?) you could do some tooling or stamping on the inside, too. Wouldn't that be cool? You don't leave room for any more critique!

Kathy

Hi Ann, how are you? Miss you at HC. :wacko: I did get the idea from the George Hurst Video. Very good instructions on creating this piece. I didn't know they sold the lamp kits as well though. I'll look for that next time I'm in there. I think i got mine from home depot.

Thanks for the compliments Kathy. I did think about tooling on the interior as well, but decided against it. I did however use a camoflauge tool around the border of the tread cover. The next one will be for my uncle. I may embellish it a bit.

Marlon

Edited by Rawhide

Hi Ann, how are you? Miss you at HC.

Marlon

I love living in CA! :D Doing more leatherwork here than I did in TX. Have about 25 things on a list to do now. Trying to get something made for every fair we can enter. Just finished a pair of Chaps that I will be sending to the Spring show. I will post a picture of them soon. I have two projects that I am working on now. One for the San Bernardino county fair and the other is for the IFoLG show this fall.

I am very fortunate that Standing Bears Trading Post is right down the street from me. Wayne Christensen is a Fabulous instructor! Not only is he always there to help when I have a question, he has a way of encouraging me and a subtle way of pushing me into trying, no I mean, doing things I thought were beyond my abilities. Partly why there is so many things on my list to do now. Thanks Wayne!

The Wednesday night class I attend there is great fun and a great bunch of people too.

I do miss the customers and people I worked with in TX, please tell them I said Hello next time you are in HC. :wave:

Anne

I love living in CA! :D Doing more leatherwork here than I did in TX. Have about 25 things on a list to do now. Trying to get something made for every fair we can enter. Just finished a pair of Chaps that I will be sending to the Spring show. I will post a picture of them soon. I have two projects that I am working on now. One for the San Bernardino county fair and the other is for the IFoLG show this fall.

I am very fortunate that Standing Bears Trading Post is right down the street from me. Wayne Christensen is a Fabulous instructor! Not only is he always there to help when I have a question, he has a way of encouraging me and a subtle way of pushing me into trying, no I mean, doing things I thought were beyond my abilities. Partly why there is so many things on my list to do now. Thanks Wayne!

The Wednesday night class I attend there is great fun and a great bunch of people too.

I do miss the customers and people I worked with in TX, please tell them I said Hello next time you are in HC. :wave:

Anne

That's great Anne. I'm sure glad it worked out well for you in Ca. You're blessed to have instructors like Wayne close by, he sounds like a gem. Hope it continues to go well for ya.

Take care. I will mention to everybody a HC you said hi.

Marlon

Neat idea and well made, i learn new ideas every time i come to this forum, ive never seen this type of lamp before and really like the idea thanks for posting, Don

Marlon,

Very nice work indeed! I like it! :cowboy:

Thankfully my wife doesn't look around in this forum, or I would have making one of those lamps added to my "Honey-do" list.

Regards,

Nick

Marlon,

Very nice work indeed! I like it! :cowboy:

Thankfully my wife doesn't look around in this forum, or I would have making one of those lamps added to my "Honey-do" list.

Regards,

Nick

:rofl: Funny you said that. I've already got "orders" for my mom and uncle. My wife tried to steal this one, so I imagine she's attached it to her list without saying so.

Marlon

Absolutlu really nice:-)

Very cool idea for a stirup.

Thanks Tina. It was fun to make.

Marlon

That's really nice. Just to let you know, Weaver sell the wooden stirrups for $13-$18 a pair. The plastic ones are around 10 a pair, so it's not a huge difference. I'm trying to figure out where you ran the cord. Hmm...

Marlon,

This is a very clean lamp. I always like when you post because you are so thorough and just plain frea'n knowledgable like many others here. That is why I am impressed but not surprised. Sweet lamp.

Ian,

The cord is ran through a hole in the bottom of the stirrup, and up the inside of one of the sides, then it goes in a groove under the block that holds the lamp assembly and out of a hole in the center of the block.

Spider,

Aw Shucks! thanks for the compliments. I hope to help as much as I've been helped.

Marlon

That is very sweet Marlon!!!! GOOD JOB!!!

I've always wanted to do a pair of stirrups for some reason, but never knew what I would do with them when I got them done.

Now I know.

Also check out Jeremiah Watts sight as he has some really nice decorative stirrup bolts. They have a concho on one end and are not very expensive either. It would give more options for dressing them up.

Thanks for posting this.

Tim

That is very sweet Marlon!!!! GOOD JOB!!!

I've always wanted to do a pair of stirrups for some reason, but never knew what I would do with them when I got them done.

Now I know.

Also check out Jeremiah Watts sight as he has some really nice decorative stirrup bolts. They have a concho on one end and are not very expensive either. It would give more options for dressing them up.

Thanks for posting this.

Tim

Tim,

The only problem with the stirrup bolts would be that I would have to offset the lamp mounting hole and it would look asymmetrical. Thanks for the compliments Tim.

CollinsMS,

Thanks for the compliments. BW takes patience and straight lines. Most try to rush it. It took me an hour to tool one side of that stirrup.

Marlon

Great Job marlon...Pretty sure I'll be making one soon. awesome idea!

John

Thanks John,

Good luck in making yours. I have a feeling I'll be making a lot more.

Marlon