RMB Custom Leather

Information on "Classic Cub" manual stitcher

While I was looking though my new issue if the Leather Crafters & Saddlers magazine I found a new hand stitcher on page 63 bottom left. It is manufactured by Luberto Manufacturing inc in Troy, TX. It says it has a 6" throat, has a full rotary hand crank, sews 3/4" thick leather, and a 1" lift. I do mostly knife cases and gun holsters. Any reviews????? Would this machine work to do what I want it to do? What would the difference be between this one and the Tippman Boss besides the cost? You can also pass on any good information to my email. I have a cobra 3 but need a hand operated machine for shows.

Edited by Johanna
spam prevention-removed email address

Hi RMB,

I played with these machines at Sheraton. I was uncomfortable with the crank style of action. I don't have a big problem with the "slot-machine" style of the Boss or the front crank style of the Luberto, Pearson, or No.9. It was a little uncomfortable or unnatural, but in time, you could get used to it. It tired me out quicker than even the Boss. A No.9 I can run for at least 20 minutes. I was using two about 8-9oz pieces and it sewed ok. I think you usually get what you pay for stitch quality wise, the Campbell lays down a fantastic stitch, the 441s and clones are pretty darned good, ditto the Adlers, and No.9 types, then the GA types, then the Boss, then the Luberto things. My criteria are neatness, uniformity, and tightness of stitch. My opinion only and not nearly scientific.

For shows, I would recommend the Boss or a No.9, although your back will appreciate the Boss. If you are getting a Boss, contact Tippmann and see if you can work something out with them, maybe take orders or distribute their Literature. Just a thought.

Art

While I was looking though my new issue if the Leather Crafters & Saddlers magazine I found a new hand stitcher on page 63 bottom left. It is manufactured by Luberto Manufacturing inc in Troy, TX. It says it has a 6" throat, has a full rotary hand crank, sews 3/4" thick leather, and a 1" lift. I do mostly knife cases and gun holsters. Any reviews????? Would this machine work to do what I want it to do? What would the difference be between this one and the Tippman Boss besides the cost? You can also pass on any good information to my email rob@rmbblades.com. I have a cobra 3 but need a hand operated machine for shows.

Hi, this is Tony Luberto, designer and manufacturer of what is now known as the Windham Cub portable hand crank leather stitcher.

It seems there has been some confusion about us and our products as of late, and rightly so, I hope to answer some of those questions now.

I have been a sewing machine technician for,( and am sometimes hesitant to admit it), almost 50 years now. Servicing commercial and home sewing machines since 1963.

Around 1992 I became a dealer for Ferdinand Inc. manufacturer of the Ferdinand 900-B,(the Bull), located in Harrison Idaho and so was introduced to the world of heavy leather stitchers. This was an exciting time for me and I really enjoyed working with the founders of the company. Roger Warner and Ferdinand JeanBlanc. In 1996 however the company split. Ferdinand moved across the street and became Ferdco, Roger and a gentleman named Glenn Bassillion started a new company called ASE, (American Sewing Equipment), to manufacture and market their new machine, the No. 9. Glenn Bassillion designed the No.9 on the princibles of a Pearson 6. The differences being that the No.9 has a modern vertical oscillating shuttle hook system where the arm ends just slightly to the left of the needle, whereas the Pearson 6 arm extended way past the needle to allow the back and forth movement of the old bullet style bobbin. Also the No 9 uses a standard needle (794), instead of the godawful long Pearson needle. I truly believe the No.9 was a revolution in the design of leather stitchers.

Anyway to continue, Luberto's Sewing machines at this time purchased Ferdinand Inc. and moved the operation back to Moosup, CT. to continue the manufacture of the Bull and along with several others became dealers for the No. 9. Eventually the No.9 became our mainstay and we discontinued manufacturing the Bull. We had some good years of No.9 sales then all of a sudden ASE closed. Kind of left us in the lurch. we managed to get as much in the way of castings and some parts so we could at least manufacture the last of the machines for our customers that we still owed machines. Machines by the way that we had already paid ASE for. It went well and all of our customers received their machines, and I might add, they were built better from Luberto's. I often see the No. 9 referred to as the Luberto No.9 and I guess that's Ok as we did build the last of them.

As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention" I loved the No.9 system and had to figure a way to continue it, especially the square motion needle feed and jump foot. I had the know how, utilizing my, er, you know, few years of experience, and I designed the Classic. New refined castings, a simpler yet more efficient design, smoother, quieter and just plain old beautiful. Lets just say the No.9 was great but the Classic was the cats meow. just ask around, its reputation is excellent.

We manufactured the Classic for about 12 years in Moosup and the last 4 years in Troy Montana where the idea of the Cub started taking shape. The Classic was expensive at $7,000.00 with the stand. The competition from much lower priced import machines was starting to be felt so the Cubs time had arrived. (We have discontinued manufacturing the Classic but we still supply all parts). It needed to be in a totally different price bracket yet work the same way the No.9 and the Classic did. This was accomplished utilizing a totally different and unique mechanism,( which is now patent pending), to attain a square motion needle feed and a jump foot. It had to be portable and light even using cast iron, 40 lbs. vs Classic 120 lbs. The Cub uses a hand crank 10" in length for good leverage, with a full 360 degree rotary motion. The work area is 9" from the needle to the body on the right. Will sew up to 3/4" depending on needle used-328 or 794 Schmetz. Oh yes, it had to make a great looking stitch too, It does.

We believe the Cub is competitively priced at $1,495.00. Ideal for the start up business, the hobbyist, the professional and those who travel to shows. Really nice for prototype work too, when you need to place each stitch one at a time. Stitch placement visibility is excellent.

Luberto's is now Windham Sewing Machines LLC. as I am now in partnership with Bill Rood of Windham Industries Inc. in Windham, Ct. for the manufacture and distribution of what is now known as the Windham Cub.

Mailing address: Windham Sewing Machines Phone: 860-564-8252

PO Box 583

Moosup, CT. 06354 Email: classiccub@att.net

I hope this brief history starting with Ferdinand Inc through ASE, Luberto's and now Windham Sewing Machines LLC answers many of your questions. Gives you an idea of where we've been, where we are now, and where we hope to go. I'll be glad to answer any questions so give me a call or email.

PS I'll be at the May 2014 Leather crafters show in Sheridan, WY.

Tony Luberto

Hi, this is Tony Luberto, designer and manufacturer of what is now known as the Windham Cub portable hand crank leather stitcher.

It seems there has been some confusion about us and our products as of late, and rightly so, I hope to answer some of those questions now.

I have been a sewing machine technician for,( and am sometimes hesitant to admit it), almost 50 years now. Servicing commercial and home sewing machines since 1963.

Around 1992 I became a dealer for Ferdinand Inc. manufacturer of the Ferdinand 900-B,(the Bull), located in Harrison Idaho and so was introduced to the world of heavy leather stitchers. This was an exciting time for me and I really enjoyed working with the founders of the company. Roger Warner and Ferdinand JeanBlanc. In 1996 however the company split. Ferdinand moved across the street and became Ferdco, Roger and a gentleman named Glenn Bassillion started a new company called ASE, (American Sewing Equipment), to manufacture and market their new machine, the No. 9. Glenn Bassillion designed the No.9 on the princibles of a Pearson 6. The differences being that the No.9 has a modern vertical oscillating shuttle hook system where the arm ends just slightly to the left of the needle, whereas the Pearson 6 arm extended way past the needle to allow the back and forth movement of the old bullet style bobbin. Also the No 9 uses a standard needle (794), instead of the godawful long Pearson needle. I truly believe the No.9 was a revolution in the design of leather stitchers.

Anyway to continue, Luberto's Sewing machines at this time purchased Ferdinand Inc. and moved the operation back to Moosup, CT. to continue the manufacture of the Bull and along with several others became dealers for the No. 9. Eventually the No.9 became our mainstay and we discontinued manufacturing the Bull. We had some good years of No.9 sales then all of a sudden ASE closed. Kind of left us in the lurch. we managed to get as much in the way of castings and some parts so we could at least manufacture the last of the machines for our customers that we still owed machines. Machines by the way that we had already paid ASE for. It went well and all of our customers received their machines, and I might add, they were built better from Luberto's. I often see the No. 9 referred to as the Luberto No.9 and I guess that's Ok as we did build the last of them.

As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention" I loved the No.9 system and had to figure a way to continue it, especially the square motion needle feed and jump foot. I had the know how, utilizing my, er, you know, few years of experience, and I designed the Classic. New refined castings, a simpler yet more efficient design, smoother, quieter and just plain old beautiful. Lets just say the No.9 was great but the Classic was the cats meow. just ask around, its reputation is excellent.

We manufactured the Classic for about 12 years in Moosup and the last 4 years in Troy Montana where the idea of the Cub started taking shape. The Classic was expensive at $7,000.00 with the stand. The competition from much lower priced import machines was starting to be felt so the Cubs time had arrived. (We have discontinued manufacturing the Classic but we still supply all parts). It needed to be in a totally different price bracket yet work the same way the No.9 and the Classic did. This was accomplished utilizing a totally different and unique mechanism,( which is now patent pending), to attain a square motion needle feed and a jump foot. It had to be portable and light even using cast iron, 40 lbs. vs Classic 120 lbs. The Cub uses a hand crank 10" in length for good leverage, with a full 360 degree rotary motion. The work area is 9" from the needle to the body on the right. Will sew up to 3/4" depending on needle used-328 or 794 Schmetz. Oh yes, it had to make a great looking stitch too, It does.

We believe the Cub is competitively priced at $1,495.00. Ideal for the start up business, the hobbyist, the professional and those who travel to shows. Really nice for prototype work too, when you need to place each stitch one at a time. Stitch placement visibility is excellent.

Luberto's is now Windham Sewing Machines LLC. as I am now in partnership with Bill Rood of Windham Industries Inc. in Windham, Ct. for the manufacture and distribution of what is now known as the Windham Cub.

Mailing address: Windham Sewing Machines Phone: 860-564-8252

PO Box 583

Moosup, CT. 06354 Email: classiccub@att.net

I hope this brief history starting with Ferdinand Inc through ASE, Luberto's and now Windham Sewing Machines LLC answers many of your questions. Gives you an idea of where we've been, where we are now, and where we hope to go. I'll be glad to answer any questions so give me a call or email.

PS I'll be at the May 2014 Leather crafters show in Sheridan, WY.

Tony Luberto

Tony

Nice info and introduction...love to read about all the modern history of curent machines....especially the larger stitchers!!

I have an ADLER 105 and would love to have an ADLER 205....haha....the Campbell machines are awesome to watch too....

Now I will check out the Lubertos...I am not a pro nor I am a sewing machine tech....BUT I love large Stitchers!

Thanks for the info...

James