bentley

Replica 1885 McClellan Saddle

This is the first project I have attempted to post, hopefully it works. This is a replica of an 1885 McClellan saddle that I have been working on for a couple years on and off and have finally finished. Much research was done at the Museun of the Horse Soldier in Tucson Arizona and with articles from the internet including ones written by Dan Preston and another by Verlane Desgrange. I also need to thank Kirby and Jim from Tandy Tempe Arizona for much help and assistance which included getting that twist correct in the stirrup straps. Next I need to start the saddle bags, breast collar and other accesories. Let me know what you think.3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

post-7789-125323393497_thumb.jpg

post-7789-125323394675_thumb.jpg

post-7789-125323396381_thumb.jpg

Bentley

I sure do like that McClellan saddle. I have always wanted one. Where did you get your tree?

Keep up the good work.

Happy tooling

Tim

As an old cavalry guy I can appreciate this one. She's a real beaut! Can't wait to see the next one!

Thanks Tim, if I remember right the tree is from Bowden.

That looks fantastic, it looks beautiful! You can't even see any blood on those stirrup straps either! :lol:

If you got your tree with Kirby early on it could have come from that ol' boy in Georgia but his last McClellan tree I think did come from Bowden.

That looks fantastic, it looks beautiful! You can't even see any blood on those stirrup straps either! laugh.gif

If you got your tree with Kirby early on it could have come from that ol' boy in Georgia but his last McClellan tree I think did come from Bowden.

It is amazing how that black hides all the blood from me sticking myself w/ the stitching awl, that is a lot of hand stitching!

Mark

So true. I always start a project by putting the coffee pot on and having the first aid kit handy.

beautiful, where are the 1873's and saber? I did my basic a Ft. McClellan, and always found it funny that the army named a base in the south after a northern general who was relieved of duty.

Edited by MBOGO

Looks great. In fact I was about to post a picture of one that I took that's on display at the Texas Rangers museum in Waco, TX.

But if you ask me, they look uncomfortable.

Damon

HPIM1611.jpg

post-7630-125345828555_thumb.jpg

I just saw a few of these in a Western with Lou Diamond Phillips called "Lone Rider". Yours looks a whole lot better. Maybe you should make up some for the movies!

Beautiful saddle! I can't wait to see the saddle bags and other accessories!

Wyldflower

PS - the tip about black leather hiding blood ... going to be useful lol!

We were talking about it being time to take another field trip to the Museum. Mark are you interested?

We were talking about it being time to take another field trip to the Museum. Mark are you interested?

Yes, I am in. That trip is always a joy, anybody want to join us?

Mark

Thanks for all the compliments, it was a lot of fun to make and research. I will definately be posting more things in the future.

Mark

Looks great. In fact I was about to post a picture of one that I took that's on display at the Texas Rangers museum in Waco, TX.

But if you ask me, they look uncomfortable.

Damon

I ride endurance in one and it's very comfortable :) right now I'm using it as is (with the hole in the middle) can't even feel it. I do plan to buy a merino sheepskin cover for it eventually, as I live in FL and like to ride in shorts.