Sign in to follow this  
ryan

What are these machines worth?

I just got home from an open house for an upcoming auction sale. I went there to look at a square baler and stumbled upon some old leather sewing / stitching machines. The list is as follows:

American Straight Needle in pretty good shape - needs new belts

2 Singer 29-4's on original treadle stands - one is pretty tight - the other isn't in as good of condition but still works

Singer 7-33 in pretty good shape, needs to be cleaned and desperately needs oil. No stand (it was fun looking at it - I have never seen one)

Landis crank splitter. Blade looks pretty bad and needs to be cleaned up but still appears to be serviceable. Wish I would have looked closer for a model number but after searching on-line, I believe it's a 30. It didn't look like a six" blade I thought it looked more like 5" but could be mistaken.

I also found a lot of old leather tools but nothing of any real value except a couple spoke shaves etc.

I am not super interested in any of it but would hate to see any of it go to waste as they all seemed to still have some life. I am, however, interested in the crank splitter and the good patcher. What would a person want to keep their top dollar at on these machines? If they go really cheap, I might buy all of them and try to find good homes for them!!

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I can't help you out much on the sewing machines. The Landis crank splitters in good condition can sell from $400-600 easy enough but some guys get more with a really cherry one. Seems like parts are not that hard to come up with. Pilgrim Shoe has some.

Ryan. I can only quote what some of these machines would go for in Australia. Others may chime in for the American going rates. The 7-33 (commonly called a thumper) was/is primarily used for heavy webbing harness production like Aircraft, safety and parachute harnesses or for truck tarps etc. One in good knick is currently on Ebay Aust for Aus$3500 but that is with table and motor and I think that is a good price. I'll keep an eye on what it goes for. I'd have a 7-33 in a heart beat. I had 3 in our workshop that I was ordered to dispose of. I hid one behing some shelving hoping the boss would not find it but he did. GET RID of that machine. Noooooooooo

Here the going rate for most patchers in working order is around $400

The American straight stitcher if it is the machine I am thinking of has a faily limited throat size so not sure of it's worth. Bruce Johnson is the splitter king so he may be able to offer assistance here.

Barra

Edited by barra