Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

Salvaging Leather

Hi folks, need some help. I just got one of those deals. I'd set up at a local fund raiser. Didn't do real well but I met a lady whose mother-in-law had an aunt who ...(you know how it goes) that had done leatherwork. She had taken care of the aunt until she had passed and now she had some metal outbuildings full of stuff. She wanted me to look at the leather stuff. There was several boxes and some leather. Made an offer and took home a lot more stuff than she had originally shown me including some leather. Had been in building for years. Sides are dry with some mold spots. Leather is not brittle but is not supple. If I cut a piece and clean with water with lemon juice and case it seems okay but... is there something I should do before cutting and casing? Should I preclean? Treat with ...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

You need to kill the mold or it will be back. I think it is oxalic acid, someone else verify this for me please.

Aaron

I'd heard oxalic acid or lemon juice. Maybe the lemon juice should just go in the lemonade. Where do I find oxalic acid?

Jim

I'd heard oxalic acid or lemon juice. Maybe the lemon juice should just go in the lemonade. Where do I find oxalic acid?

Jim

It goes by the name of 'wood bleach'. Savogram (sp?) makes/sells/markets lots of it. Try your local hardware store, Sherwin Williams, woodworker stores online. You probably won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot.

You may want to make sure OA is an antifungal (probably is, but ask to be sure). Better yet, email Savogram- they make it, they should know.

russ

Edited by whinewine

In Ontario I obtained oxalic acid at a pharmacy and had to sign for it. I use a 30-40% vinegar water solution to kill mold in leather. I work mainly with saddles then follow up with a good saddlesoaping with a conditioner.