I am looking for advice on a situation that came up this last week. I was approached by a family that is trying to raise money for a young boy born without a ear to have his ear rebuilt. Its going to cost right at $20.000 I agreed to donate them 2 saddles. The trees have been donated as well as the leather for 2 saddles to be built. I need advice on what would be the best way to raise the most money with these saddles. I might donate another later just depends on how well it goes. The boy lives in a really small town and is not near any town of any size. Does anyone here have any ideaqs on how best to raffel or sell chances or otherwise market these two saddles to get the best return for them. Someone here must have some experience in this type of thing. Any and all Ideas would greatly appreciated.

T Moore

how about ebay?

I am looking for advice on a situation that came up this last week. I was approached by a family that is trying to raise money for a young boy born without a ear to have his ear rebuilt. Its going to cost right at $20.000 I agreed to donate them 2 saddles. The trees have been donated as well as the leather for 2 saddles to be built. I need advice on what would be the best way to raise the most money with these saddles. I might donate another later just depends on how well it goes. The boy lives in a really small town and is not near any town of any size. Does anyone here have any ideaqs on how best to raffel or sell chances or otherwise market these two saddles to get the best return for them. Someone here must have some experience in this type of thing. Any and all Ideas would greatly appreciated.

T Moore

Mr.Moore,Several years ago my son needed a Kidney transplant,to raise money I built a raffle saddle.We sold tickets for $100 a ticket,raised 16,000 dollars.We live in a small Community here,sold tickets at any event they would let us.also put on some ranch ropings.good luck ,hope it works out for the boy.

Steve Brewer

Terry, Although I've never done it I would imagine that you could do a raffle as suggested for $100 a ticket and make out pretty good. I use to buy $10 tickets from an Argentine knife maker that would only sell as many tickets as his original asking price and then draw the winner. In your case you would set a time limit, get say a few hundred tickets to sell, get family and friends to sell say 10 each, (spread them out so it is not too much of a burden on any one person) and set a time limit for the drawing. Do a 'need not be present to win' type of deal and maybe have the childs parents do the actual drawing. Sometimes the winner will even re-donate the item to be raffled again! Good luck and we will keep the boy in our families prayers!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

How about putting an ad on crag's list? you'd reach a whole lot of people that way. just a thought. good luck ken

Try contacting your local newspaper, radio station and television station. See if they would run a special interest piece to get the word out about the raffle and other ways to make donations for the family. Banks will often set up an escrow account that people may make contributions to.

Crystal

Crystal's right -- you should definitely contact your local newspapers and television stations with the story about the saddle raffle (if that's the way you decide to go) and the cause it's for. I used to be a journalist and I know these kinds of stories often get attention, as well they should.

Joanne

Edited by Traveller

Have yo thought about getting a flyer into Tandy and Montana Leather in Billings? What about Sheridan Leather, Kings and any others in Sheridan, Wyoming that will let you? I don't know if they will but it is worth a shot. There is also a saddle shop in Broadus that you might work on also. Maybe the two sale barns in Billings would let you hang flyers too. If you can put a picture of the boy on the flyer, that could help spark interest also.

Might even check with Nate Wald in Lodge Grass. He might be able to help out in some way.

God Bless and this family is now on our prayer list.

A raffle is a good way to draw in money. Even places like right here will sell some tickets. There are a lot of people who will donate to what seems to be a worthy cause. Once the saddle is finished, set up fliers and have people tell the story. An anouncement at local churches and other comunity orginizations can bring in ticket sales too. Set up a Paypal account and a website so you can sell some online. Some states get funny about fundraising and raffles, so be carefull about crossing that line.

Aaron

A fundraiser update

We will be selling the tickets $25 each or 5for $100. The saddle tree will be from La Port trees Leather from Montana Leather and work done by Medicine Hat Saddlery Plan to have a New Style Wade and a Association with 5 inch cantles wood post style horns and since its La Prte a cable rig.Also will be selling a Spanish Mustang filly 3 yrs old broke and ridden by kids along with a sculpture and a few other things . We are still looking for other donations and will be adding them also in the near future Hopefully the money will be raised Thanks for the ideas and help planning out how to do this

T Moore