MagnusWyvern

Tippman Aerostitch - More Help

I've kinda got my Aerostitch working.

The needle will move, that's a good start. :)

A few issues..

1. The leather doesn't seem to walk very well, and unlike the Boss I can't see a pressure foot adjuster.

2. It will sew very short stitches, fairly akwardly because of the above problem with the pressure foot.

3. Longer stitches it will skip every stitch.

I really want to get this working, after I've finished this new order I'll get back to it, just hoping there was some more help here.

Regards

The needle will move, that's a good start. smile.gif

A few issues..

1. The leather doesn't seem to walk very well, and unlike the Boss I can't see a pressure foot adjuster.

2. It will sew very short stitches, fairly akwardly because of the above problem with the pressure foot.

I really want to get this working, after I've finished this new order I'll get back to it, just hoping there was some more help here.

Regards

The aerostitch doesn't come stock with a presser foot pressure adjustment. Tippman offered and may still have an aftermarket valve to adjust the presser foot pressure. As to the stitching problem I would first make sure you are using the correct size needle for top and bobbin thread combo. Try slowing it way down and watching each stitch to see if the material pulls back toward you as the needle goes up and pulls the stitch tight. If it does you may have a leak in the presser foot valve. In any case you can call Tippmann and their Tech will walk you through things to check. Really they will. All necessary parts are still available. One other thought, you didn't wind your bobbin too tight and do have the thread comming off counter clockwise don't you.

The aerostitch doesn't come stock with a presser foot pressure adjustment. Tippman offered and may still have an aftermarket valve to adjust the presser foot pressure. As to the stitching problem I would first make sure you are using the correct size needle for top and bobbin thread combo. Try slowing it way down and watching each stitch to see if the material pulls back toward you as the needle goes up and pulls the stitch tight. If it does you may have a leak in the presser foot valve. In any case you can call Tippmann and their Tech will walk you through things to check. Really they will. All necessary parts are still available. One other thought, you didn't wind your bobbin too tight and do have the thread comming off counter clockwise don't you.

Ya, counter clockwise.

Not sure.. I've wound my thread just like I did on my boss. With a drill, so it's probably fairly tight.

On the other hand I tried the manual thread winder on the Aerostitch and found it lacking.

Ya, counter clockwise.

Not sure.. I've wound my thread just like I did on my boss. With a drill, so it's probably fairly tight.

On the other hand I tried the manual thread winder on the Aerostitch and found it lacking.

Whenever I have this problem with my Aerostitch it is because of the position of the stitch length adjustment/reverse knob. It is simple but if you don't tighten it well it will put itself in the center position and nothing happens when you try to sew. The Aerostitch is a little quirky but worth learning. I'll bet mine can sew sheet metal

The needle will move, that's a good start. :)

A few issues..

Regards

Whenever I have this problem with my Aerostitch it is because of the position of the stitch length adjustment/reverse knob. It is simple but if you don't tighten it well it will put itself in the center position and nothing happens when you try to sew. The Aerostitch is a little quirky but worth learning. Additionally mine had to be lubricated thoroughly. A lot of weird problems went away when I lubricated the arm that the foot attaches to with white lithium grease through the hole where you access the needle.

Whenever I have this problem with my Aerostitch it is because of the position of the stitch length adjustment/reverse knob. It is simple but if you don't tighten it well it will put itself in the center position and nothing happens when you try to sew. The Aerostitch is a little quirky but worth learning. Additionally mine had to be lubricated thoroughly. A lot of weird problems went away when I lubricated the arm that the foot attaches to with white lithium grease through the hole where you access the needle.

I'll go snag that grease tomorrow and give it a good greasin'

I'm used to quirky since I own the Boss already.

You can take the side cover off to clean and lube things, the needle bar will want to fall off, and theres a couple parts in there, but not bad. Clean it all up with some carb cleaner or something, and just a thin cote of the white lithium wherever anything moves. Also clean the shuttle good and put just a little grease where it runs. Also I put a little of the air tool oil in the top plug on the pedal, and a little on the gear and bushings in the back side of the machine. The only other thing I can think of, on the big drive bar on the back of the machine theres 2 springs that keep the presser foot cam centered that occasionally give out. Not bad to have a couple of these on hand. Numbers 32-1 and 32-2 in the pic. It will make the presser foot raise sporatically. Good luck

tippmannparts.gif

post-4510-125380330293_thumb.gif

You can take the side cover off to clean and lube things, the needle bar will want to fall off, and theres a couple parts in there, but not bad. Clean it all up with some carb cleaner or something, and just a thin cote of the white lithium wherever anything moves. Also clean the shuttle good and put just a little grease where it runs. Also I put a little of the air tool oil in the top plug on the pedal, and a little on the gear and bushings in the back side of the machine. The only other thing I can think of, on the big drive bar on the back of the machine theres 2 springs that keep the presser foot cam centered that occasionally give out. Not bad to have a couple of these on hand. Numbers 32-1 and 32-2 in the pic. It will make the presser foot raise sporatically. Good luck

tippmannparts.gif

Still working on it.

The needle seems to once in a while go right through the needle threado n a stitch and get all gimped, probably a thread to needle size issue.

But the overall stitch length is still being annoying.. after the pressure foot walks the leather, the leather seems to come back forward, as well as sometimes lift a bit to throw things out of wack.

The presser foot doesn't walk the leather the needle does. The presser foot just holds it in place. If the material is being pulled back and/or up you likely have too much top thread tension. Less likely is a presser foot valve leak or if your machine has the optional presser foot adjustment valve installed it is set too low.

Magnus,

I wouldn't recommend taking the cover off, that is unlikely to be the problem. The most likely problem is either an air leak or a timing issue with the two little sprung steel parts at the end of the needle bar.

All the other tips given above are good advice.

If you still have trouble I'd send it to Tippmann and have Tom Black look at it. He is the expert. YOu can also call him toll free at 1-866-286-8046. When you send it in they will get it running perfect with a one year guarantee. I know because I have sold about 20 of these machines since they came out. They are great. If anyone wants one I have one for sale with reverse and the needle positioning lever as well as the auxilary pressure valve for the foot. It is $2500.00 if interested.

Cheers,

Henry Veenhoven

416-231-1870

Still working on it.

The needle seems to once in a while go right through the needle threado n a stitch and get all gimped, probably a thread to needle size issue.

But the overall stitch length is still being annoying.. after the pressure foot walks the leather, the leather seems to come back forward, as well as sometimes lift a bit to throw things out of wack.

I still have a Tippamm aerostitch for sale, complete with the stand, several presser feet and a material guide. looking for 1,500, I am located in NH.

-Andrew

www.awharness.com

Henry

Do you by any chance have any of the presser foot adjusment valves for sale? If so PM me I need one.

Dennis

Henry

Do you by any chance have any of the presser foot adjusment valves for sale? If so PM me I need one.

Dennis

i have a revearse model for many years and yes they are quirky but when dialed in they run very well i have the presser foot adjuster i am sure you can get from tippmann not expensive.i think all good advice here but if you did not buy it new and smebody messed with pneumatic timing adjusters you will be wasting you time trying to dial it in.i would send it in and let them set it up they charge a minimal amount and you would get back a sweet machine.i'd never part with mine.not sur if any body mentioned it but the machine has oil holes drilled into casting that lube the main shaft if i remember.. regards shovelhead