Sign in to follow this  
waddy

Photographing saddles question

I am definitely going to build a light box for the smaller items, but I'm wondering about saddles. Are the really good photos made using a LARGE light box? I would really appreciate some insight on how some of you saddle makers get quality photos of your saddles. What type of background works best, etc. I'm a little too scotch to pay a professional to do them for one thing, and I am a LONG way from a professional that would have ever worked with saddles. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Hi Waddy personally i think you will be money ahead to build a big light box for your saddles. I belive it will pay for it's self in a hurry plus you can use it for smaller things to. Take a look at this web site they have all kinds of tips for do it yourself things from making your own background to stuidos from mild to wild. http://www.diyphotography.net/node?page=1 . It's just like here folks sharing ideals and helping one another. Background colors i would just look at others web sites and see what looks the best to you and use what you like.

Good luck and show us some pictures when you get it done if decide to build one.

Many thanks for the suggestions, dirtclod, and the link to that site looks very interesting. Since I had posted this question on this forum, I have been doing my best to research as best I can. I had about decided to go with the saddle-sized light box, and with your suggestion, I am going to give it a try. I find that photographing breast collars is every bit as, if not more than, challenging as getting a good picture of a saddle. They are too damn long and skinny! I'm sure you all know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm a complete neophyte with a camera, and trying to pick myself up by the bootstraps, so to speak.

Breast collars and headstalls both are pain to get a good picture of. When i build my new box i think i will make it about 5 foot long and 4 to 5 foot tall. The two or three other boxes i have built always get to be to small 4 foot long by 20 inches tall and i want to take a picture of something that is bigger and bigger.

On the new one i think i'll fix it to where i can lay a piece of pipe or pipes of something across it then i'll be able to hang a breast collar like it goes on a horse and hang a headstall instead of laying them flat. I think a person could use fishing line to hang them with and not have to clone out the line. The last one i made i used 1/2 inch plastic pipe and covered the side with some 1.00 a yard white lineing materal. On the new one i think i'll try a shower curtain like some one else did on theirs. For lights i am using 2 yard sale goose neck lamps with daylight florsent bulb's. I find that have to adjust the white balance on my camera when i use them. But the good thing now is you can take as many pictures as ya want and it doesn't cost anything but some time.

Waddy you can go over to http://www.dpreview.com/ and click on disussion forms find the type of camera you have and find out quite a quite a few things. Most of the folks there are pretty helpfull.