scottishshoemaker

Handmade Maul

After visiting a fellow Leather pounder, I noticed he had a few Mauls, I gave them a try and was impressed compared to my nylon hammer. so I thought I can make that. looking on Tandy and other websites the price was a tad too much. so here is my effort at making one.

2" Nylon top with 10mm bar all the way thru, tapped at both ends with a stacked leather handle, soaked then boned. with zinc plated washers and domed nuts.

maul.jpg

post-8448-125399313793_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottishshoemaker

Very nicely done! Looks like a nice maul.

How does it work for you? any changes that you would make to it if you re-did it?

Also could you ellaborate on what you mean by soaked then boned leather handle?

Soaked in water?

dried?

then cut with a knife to the desired shape?

(is this the right track?)

Also could you ellaborate on what you mean by soaked then boned leather handle?

Soaked in water?

dried?

then cut with a knife to the desired shape?

(is this the right track?)

the only part I would change is the top dome nut. If I could get a recess nut it would sit better on my bench, ie, with handle vertical.

What I did to make he handle was cut out wet oak bark tanned leather with punches, then using shoemaking paste glued both parts of leather then stacked them onto metal shaft, whilst still wet put washers on and tightened on threads with wing nuts to compress leather. Once dry buff to ruff shape then using different mops on router buff to shape you require, leather is fluffy at this point so using a grit cloth mop smoothed leather down. Placed leather handle into bucket of water for 5 mins, took out then boned handle to give shiny'sh finish on handle. Boned is basically taken an artifcial bone or real bone and rubbing in one direction to give shiny finish. I should say tho that proper boning is when you wet mould a job, you are boning it to close the fibres down and get rid of excess water, basically stiffen the leather. Hope this helps.

great maul where did you get the nylon

David

great maul where did you get the nylon

David

we keep nylon in the work, you can get it from r.s compentents or similiar in the uk.

I made a maul also and I used a ~12mm thick steel disk for the top that I tapped and drilled for the head end. Perhaps you can have a local shop weld a regular hex nut on a washer and then counter drill the nylon to accept the nut. This could make it flush.

An easier way to make the top flatter is to use a tee nut rather the acorn type nut. It functions as a recessed nut and washer in one. I know Home Depot and Lowes carry them here in the states so should be somewhat common in most hardware stores.

As an example:

Fastenal Tee Nut 3/8 - 16

May not be practical to order from Fastenal unless you need hundreds of them however.

An easier way to make the top flatter is to use a tee nut rather the acorn type nut. It functions as a recessed nut and washer in one. I know Home Depot and Lowes carry them here in the states so should be somewhat common in most hardware stores.

As an example:

Fastenal Tee Nut 3/8 - 16

May not be practical to order from Fastenal unless you need hundreds of them however.

The UK equivalent maybe Tesco or Wilkinson would have them. it might not look as dressy as you would want though. I used a cutoff piece from the machine shop. so it was scrap. (Hey look I am green!) I marked the center of it and drilled a hole then I tapped it to match the thread of my all thread rod. You could easily do this to yours also.In fact I could make this plate for you.

Maul.jpg

post-11332-125416053999_thumb.jpg

Edited by TTcustom

In fact I could make this plate for you.

cheers for the help mate. PM sent.

Maul now with custom made disc, thanks TT Customs for his help.

IMG_0078.JPG

Aw the picture is broken I can't see the finished product! Glad to be of some help.

Tim

I wish I had seen this thread a week ago.

I would much rather give a normal person business than Weaver (that don't seen to care). I am in need of a lighter weight, quality maul for tooling. I have a 32 oz. (I think, it weighs 30ish). Would buy a 20ish oz. as well. What do we think the going rate for one is? I'll return the one I just bought.

Kevin

Kevin,

I only made the maul for me because I wanted one like the fancy kids were using. The materials were salvaged from the scrap heap so I don't know what the cost would be.

Ed the Bearman makes awesome Mauls if you want to buy one from an individual rather than a corp. here is a link to the thread discussing his latest mauls. The mauls he makes are beautiful and everyone that has one treasures it.

http://leatherworker...showtopic=19620

Edited by TTcustom

Thank you for your response.

k

pc packed up but got it fixed, heres pics as promised.

aug 2009 002.jpg

post-8448-125589117265_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottishshoemaker

Sweet, that looks great!

Sweet, that looks great!

That poke really good, in fact, it looks almost similar to the one I bought at Tandy. The only reason I bouht it and did not even realize how much it even was I finally gt introduced to oblong punches. The raw hide barely put a Nick into the leather withthe oblongs. Very nice what you did there