Rubo

Full color printing on leather

I kind of like it right off the bat.

First thing that came to mind was a direct to garment printer.

Seems if they can print pictures on a porous tee shirt ,leather would be a snap.

Hi all

i've come across this thread while investigating other leather sublimation techniques.

i'd like to point you in the direction of pictaleather.com at the minute the range do not include genuine leather but good quality PU products, the full leather range will be out in the next few months so watch this space or join the mailing list to stay informed.

In the meantime the service might be of interest to people here.

there's 2 options to work with pictaleather.

1 - send your design for printing on demand.

2 - buy the blank products and print them yourself using standard flat bed heat press.

hope this helps.

Yeah..I was thinking DTG (direct to garment) also. I have seen the digitally printed heat applied vinyl being used on leather. It is fine for the promotional portfolio a company wants to give to customers...but I can image it working too well for garments, shoes, purses, etc. Sublimation would require the leather to be treated first in order to accept the sublimation ink and would only work on light color leather as sublimation ink is transparent.

Edited...my bad...didn't realize this thread was old! LOL

Edited by cmantz

I took a sample of this type of thing to the art and picture framing show in Las Vegas a few years ago and talked with some people who sell the hardware to the picture industry and they showed me how it was done. Its really not that expensive to bu the equipment and not that hard to do. At the moment, I forget the name of the company, however the Las Vegas show is in another week or so. If anyone is interested, I can try and find out, who the company is and you can contact them and get all the details. As i remember, their was a special solution that was put on the leather before printing. It did not seem very difficult. Being retire, I was not interested in starting another business.

Regards.

Bill

Cajun, please let us know. this is just very interesting.

I took a sample of this type of thing to the art and picture framing show in Las Vegas a few years ago and talked with some people who sell the hardware to the picture industry and they showed me how it was done. Its really not that expensive to bu the equipment and not that hard to do. At the moment, I forget the name of the company, however the Las Vegas show is in another week or so. If anyone is interested, I can try and find out, who the company is and you can contact them and get all the details. As i remember, their was a special solution that was put on the leather before printing. It did not seem very difficult. Being retire, I was not interested in starting another business.

Regards.

Bill

Yes Cajun, I'd love to know the company and the solution that they treat their leather with prior to printing!

Hi

I am interested in hiring you for a job, ASAP. Can you email me, or send over contact info? Rachael@heavyleathernyc.com. Thanks!

2 hours ago, heavyleathernyc said:

I am interested in hiring you for a job, ASAP. Can you email me, or send over contact info?

You should indicate who you are interested in hiring.  There are many posters to this thread.  If you include their handle in your post, they will receive a notice.  example @heavyleathernyc  Also not the last post to this thread was November 2014.

Tom