jerelk

Airbrushes for dye and acrylic

I am finally wanting to buy an airbrush for some more sophisticated finishing on my work. I've been looking at a few cheapies from harbor freight and hoped that a few of you may have used some of these.

Mostly, I am looking for something that will do even coats with maybe just a bit of detailed darks and lights; nothing very fine.

First, the REALLY cheap one: Single-action airbrush kit

The other REALLY cheap one: Quick-change airbrush kit

The moderately cheap one: Double-action "Deluxe" airbrush

Opinions?

I've been using the Quick change airbrush kit for my sealer application and for evening out my dyeing for close to a year now with no real complaints. I do wish the bottles were glass instead of plastic, but for that price it does the job so I can't complain too much:)

Oh, and welcome.gif

-Adam

Hi Jerelk, welcome aboard. I'm no expert, just stating the obvious to begin with. I started using an airbrush to dye and finish with a year or so ago and won't go back. I've got a Bager brush and a Panache and the deluxe from Harbor Freight (and alright, a couple of others). I don't do much detail work with the airbrush. Those that do would definitely recommend a more expensive brush than the Harbour Freight brush. For general broad dyeing and smoothing they all seem to do pretty much the same job. So in my humble opinion I would recommend the double action Deluxe from Harbour Freight. When you are ready you can move up. Just remember to clean, clean, clean. Even though the brush is fairly cheap, clean it after each use and it will last a long time. One other thing, it seems to be a standard brush so bottles and such from the craft stores will fit. I tend to stay away from tools that use only containers and such made specifically for that brand, always seem to be more expensive.

Hope this helps, and remember

Keep on Smilin

Jim

The Double-Action "Deluxe" from HF is a darn fine tool for the money! I use one and it works fine, I"ve never had a problem with it. For the money, you can't go wrong. And if you find out it's not for you, you're only out a few bucks. If you find out you need more, then invest in a more expensive one.

Ok what kind of compressor should someone buy is the cheap Compressor from Harbor Freight good enought ?

Many thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up buying the deluxe airbrush and compressor kit here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95630

So far, it's treated me very well (hopefully will post pictures soon). The compressor performs well so far, though I only use it for an hour or two at a time.

Thanks again!

The Double-Action "Deluxe" from HF is a darn fine tool for the money! I use one and it works fine, I"ve never had a problem with it. For the money, you can't go wrong. And if you find out it's not for you, you're only out a few bucks. If you find out you need more, then invest in a more expensive one.

A agree the DA from HK is AOK. The best investment for the $, wish I done it sooner.

Michael