Go2Tex

Fresh Off The Bench

Yes, this was made to fit an Arab horse. After much consternation and deliberation, picture takin', measuring and back and forth with Randy at Timberline, we arrived at a perfect fit. As it turned out, the rocker of his regular bars was fine for this one and all we needed was to use a slightly wider angle, (full QH), on a 6.5" gullet, and cut the bars down to 22". We did a fit on the horse in the wood, (pre-rawhide), just to make sure.

I kept the skirts short as well, just 27" after blocking, which explains why there isn't much behind the jocks. It's Wickett & Craig chestnut leather, 4" Monels by Trina Weber, and Weaver's natural color shearling.

Comments welcome, good or bad. Thanks for looking.

s-31 026-1.jpgs-31 031.jpgs-31 037-3.jpgs-31 036.jpg

post-1925-125457794163_thumb.jpg

post-1925-125457801907_thumb.jpg

post-1925-125457808677_thumb.jpg

post-1925-125457812278_thumb.jpg

Brent,

Nice job! You've got some good clean lines, and your finish is great! Thanks for posting the pics

Happy tooling

Tim

I would call that one functional art!

Very nice piece of work Brent!

Brent...For most of us the ultimate dream is making a saddle or two or three. It is clear that you are living the dream. I have known some people who can really carve and some who are superb saddle makers but it is not often you get to see the blending of the two. Super fine clean job. That is a piece of art! You have done yourself proud!!!!!

Storm

Absolutely top class! What are the two lumps? covered in dark leather behind and to either side of the pommel? I don't know anything about western saddles.

That is some great looking work. Love the patterns you have going on. That color is very nice as well. Good job.

WOW!!! That is a nice saddle. Job well done.

Extremely nice piece of work! I'm always interested in any posts that have to do with Arabs since I own 2 Straits and 2 halfbreeds. Tack

fitment, especially saddles, is always foremost. Fit horse first, rider second or rider will loose horse! I purchased a saddle just 2 months ago

and after trying many saddles I came up with exactly the same conclusions concerning bars and skirt length. Even with this bar length the

curve of the leading tip of the bars can be critical as shoulder movement needs to roll smoothly under the tip. Not enough curve and the

shoulder hits a wall causing short stride and eventually soreness. Another note is the fenders and stirrup leathers. Most saddlemakers

usually make them to short on a saddle this size because they figure smaller saddle smaller rider. Not necessarily so. My saddle is marginal

in this area and doesn't look as good as if it had longer fenders, I'm on the last notch for adjustment. I like the D's under the conchos as I am

making a set of saddlebags and have to modify my saddle to attach them. Your tooling and finish is superb and I really like the looks of this

type of concho, the one on the rear cinch is a nice touch. I don't like "Bucking rolls". They should be an option for those that have never

landed on one. The Wade design will put the rider back into the "Pocket" on a bad landing. The height and dish of the cantle looks good and

you have managed to bring this type of cantle and the Cheyenne roll together perfectly. If I had not already bought a saddle, I would be very

interested in yours. What is your asking price. BTW, nice website too.

Brent,

I think you did a beautiful job on this saddle. Very handsome!

Bobby

Brent,

That is a spectacular work of art! I would LOVE to have something like that on my IRON Horse!

Troy

Absolutely top class! What are the two lumps? covered in dark leather behind and to either side of the pommel? I don't know anything about western saddles.

Those lumps are called bucking rolls. They are used on slick fork tree saddles to replace the swells when needed to keep the rider in the seat when things get "western". They are screwed on and can be removed when not needed.

Brent,

As usual, your work is a fine example of how function and beauty can blend together into a piece that the owner will be proud of and will turn into a family heirloom.

I too am a fan of W/C leather. Good stuff! Very nice work!

Bondo Bob

Thanks to all for the very nice compliments. It is always very satisfying and encouraging to hear from one's fellows in the trade and particularly comforting in tough times like these.

Beautiful work Brent!! I REALLY like it.

How much does it weigh?

Thanks,

Art

Beautiful work Brent!! I REALLY like it.

How much does it weigh?

Thanks,

Art

Thanks Art. I forgot to weight it before I boxed it up this time, but these usually weigh in around 38 lbs. It should be a little less due to the shorter bars and skirts, but I doubt that cut it down too much.

An absolute work of art. A job very well done. Just for curiosity sakes, what would a saddle such as that cost?

Absolutely breathtaking work! You should have entered it up in Wichita Falls this past weekend.

Absolutely breathtaking work! You should have entered it up in Wichita Falls this past weekend.

Well, thanks for saying so. I actually thought about it for a couple of seconds....just long enough to remind myself of the caliber of work that has been entered up there in recent years..... Guys like Troy West, Don Butler, VanDyke, Pedro Pedrini, to name but a few that consistently bring their jaw dropping, eye popping best work.

I do have one I was planning on entering, but I ran out of time and I'm still not done with it. The way the show works, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have any floral carving you must enter in the open floral and that catagory puts you smack dab up next to the likes of the aforementioned talent that take the term "full carve" to a whole new dimension. And if it ain't carved it's covered with silver.

So yeah, I'm still workin' on it.... But thanks again for the encouragement. I'd like to see some pics of the entries, though. Anybody got some?

Brent,

I hate to just say "Another great job" with nothing else to qualify it, so here goes. Another great job on everything you have done similar to before, and I like that little deal you did with the slotted conchos on the back billets of this one.

Well, thanks for saying so. I actually thought about it for a couple of seconds....just long enough to remind myself of the caliber of work that has been entered up there in recent years..... Guys like Troy West, Don Butler, VanDyke, Pedro Pedrini, to name but a few that consistently bring their jaw dropping, eye popping best work.

I do have one I was planning on entering, but I ran out of time and I'm still not done with it. The way the show works, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have any floral carving you must enter in the open floral and that catagory puts you smack dab up next to the likes of the aforementioned talent that take the term "full carve" to a whole new dimension. And if it ain't carved it's covered with silver.

So yeah, I'm still workin' on it.... But thanks again for the encouragement. I'd like to see some pics of the entries, though. Anybody got some?

I went up there Friday and saw most of the work, Those guys are amazing. I still think you would have been right in there with the best of them though. Troy told me that Don Butler won that class.

Brandon

Well that shouldn't surprise anyone. Don Butler is usually in the money. He never seems to fail to come up with a new twist on it. Yeah, I should have at least gone up there to see it but 6.5 hours is a long drive..... Of course, down here, everything's a long drive.

Bruce, about those rear billet conchos..... that came about because the customer changed her mind after I'd already punched the holes for ties, so I had 3 holes and she wanted the new Jerimiah Watt billet loops. So, I did the best I could with the conchos. I just ran the 2 ties from the backside through the top hole and down under the concho in front.

billet concho.jpg

post-1925-125500781617_thumb.jpg

Edited by Go2Tex

Howdy Brent...................I somehow missed this when you first posted it.....................really nice work as usual. JW