Hidebanger

"Hey ya'll" from newbie in Tennessee

Hey everyone. I am new to leathercrafting and have been trying to soak up as much info as I can and this site GREAT. I have been wanting to take up leatherworking for a long time ,but just now getting to try it. I got a real deal on a complete leather shop full of stuff from a lady who's son recently passed away. He had alot of tools and leather. Now I just need to learn what everything is and how to use it. I work a full time job and run a motorcycle detailing business on the side, so I would like to make biker type accessories to pedal to my regular customers and at shows. If theres anyone on here from around east tn....give me a hollar! Happy tooling!!!!!!

P.S. I just realized I about copied Hidepounders member name....sorry bout that.... I promise to just bang and not pound.

Edited by Hidebanger

Welcome to the forum. I am sure some of our biker gear members will speak up soon. Good luck

Hidebanger too bad that you are on the other side of the State....We could really do some items.

I'm in Memphis. :red_bandana:

where are you at? I'm in sevierville

I'm in Kingsport....was just at Dollywood a couple weeks ago. Wish I was that close to Tandy. Drove to Knoxville one day looking for it, but finally gave up. L8r!

I'm in Kingsport....was just at Dollywood a couple weeks ago. Wish I was that close to Tandy. Drove to Knoxville one day looking for it, but finally gave up. L8r!

i've been trying to con mike at tandy to move the store to south knox or sevierville/p.f. when his lease is up in a few years :)

welcome to the group i am just starting out myself

everyone is very nice and helpful here

David

Hey everyone. I am new to leathercrafting and have been trying to soak up as much info as I can and this site GREAT. I have been wanting to take up leatherworking for a long time ,but just now getting to try it. I got a real deal on a complete leather shop full of stuff from a lady who's son recently passed away. He had alot of tools and leather. Now I just need to learn what everything is and how to use it. I work a full time job and run a motorcycle detailing business on the side, so I would like to make biker type accessories to pedal to my regular customers and at shows. If theres anyone on here from around east tn....give me a hollar! Happy tooling!!!!!!

P.S. I just realized I about copied Hidepounders member name....sorry bout that.... I promise to just bang and not pound.

Hey Hidebanger: Litlhof here. Louise and I closed our shop in PF when Dolly bought into Silver Dollar City, I think that was in '86. In other words I'm a geezer who's been out of the business for a long time. Anyhow, As you go West on I 40/75 through Knoxville, take the West Hills exit and turn right. You will be at West town Mall. Get in the inside lane and continue west until you go past Red Lobster and you will see an O'Charley's on your left. This is at the corner of Kingston Pike and Downtown West Boulevard , turn left onto Downtown West Blvd and continue for about two blocks. Turn right into the parking lot of this large strip mall and when you get up near the shops turn left and continue until you see Tandy. This is one of the best stocked that I have seen for a long time. Give them a call at (865) 560-2789.

Best regards.

Hey Hidebanger: Litlhof here. Louise and I closed our shop in PF when Dolly bought into Silver Dollar City, I think that was in '86. In other words I'm a geezer who's been out of the business for a long time. Anyhow, As you go West on I 40/75 through Knoxville, take the West Hills exit and turn right. You will be at West town Mall. Get in the inside lane and continue west until you go past Red Lobster and you will see an O'Charley's on your left. This is at the corner of Kingston Pike and Downtown West Boulevard , turn left onto Downtown West Blvd and continue for about two blocks. Turn right into the parking lot of this large strip mall and when you get up near the shops turn left and continue until you see Tandy. This is one of the best stocked that I have seen for a long time. Give them a call at (865) 560-2789.

Best regards.

Hey Litlhof! Thanks for the directions. I was close, but ended up driving around downtown (4 kids in the car) and got frustrated and gave up on finding it. I can't wait to go there, because I need a few things that the local craft stores don't carry around here. Where are you located now? Thanks again!!

Edited by Hidebanger

Try to do most of your work, whether it is saddle bags, seats, anything,, try to make your patten especially saddle bagsf from scratch. All you have to do is make the very back side that is up against the frame. After you do that just follow the back forward, this way you can also follow the flo of the bike/ chop and it REALLY is just right for that vehicle

Hello" Hidebanger"!!!

( I did not know that this is legal in TN??)

Anyway, greetings from Virginia near TN...I wonder when u start making some serious leather gear and I alspo wonder if you could make some mustache wax keeper pouches, I would be very happy to own one of these!!!

Also is my original Honda leather ashtray cover broke....I use it frequently on my Hamasuki!! Can u fix that too??

I won't be able to pay u anything, but would love to have u in my shop for some hot choccolate....

If u need any direction, let me know!!!?? I live in Gate City....!!!

Greetings to leather banger from the leather bratwurst....

Hello" Hidebanger"!!!

( I did not know that this is legal in TN??)

Anyway, greetings from Virginia near TN...I wonder when u start making some serious leather gear and I alspo wonder if you could make some mustache wax keeper pouches, I would be very happy to own one of these!!!

Also is my original Honda leather ashtray cover broke....I use it frequently on my Hamasuki!! Can u fix that too??

I won't be able to pay u anything, but would love to have u in my shop for some hot choccolate....

If u need any direction, let me know!!!?? I live in Gate City....!!!

Greetings to leather banger from the leather bratwurst....

Hey it's my favorite "Crazy German". Whats with the "Jimbob?" Yeah I live close enough to the Virginia line that they allow me to do some Hidebanging...lol. I am in Bloomingdale after all. Alot of banging going on here. I will start working on that wax keeper right away. Wouldn't want that stache to get in your hot chocolate. Still trying to figure out the bobbin deal on my machine....can't get it to pickup. Looks as if I may need a lil help. tschüs

Hey Litlhof! Thanks for the directions. I was close, but ended up driving around downtown (4 kids in the car) and got frustrated and gave up on finding it. I can't wait to go there, because I need a few things that the local craft stores don't carry around here. Where are you located now? Thanks again!!

Hey Hidebanger:

I live in Seymour, just about as far north and as far west as you can get and still be in Sevier County. I really haven't done any leather work much for years and we disposed of all our stock when we closed. My oldest daughter,who sold all her horses some time back, decided she wanted an old McClellen saddle that had been in the family for years. I have been a woodworker all of my life and have made several saddle horses, but never one for a McClellen. I made a very narrow horse and put an old slouch hat my mother had given me years ago to add to the display. Then I figured I hadn't shot my 50 caliber Hawken for at least 20 years, so I threw that in. It was in a fringed suede case with a little bit of bead work on it. That didn't look quite right leaning up against the saddle, so I thought I'd make a scabbard. I looked through all my Civil War collectors books, but didn'see a single scabbard, so I just made one up. Scabbards used by cavalry as depicted in the movies run the gamit from simple tubes to flapped cases, mounted for or aft and on any side. My girl said she would want it on her left side. I mounted it with swivel snaps and straps stitched to the scabbard. Guess what, I've got to cinch the belly band, because the saddle tips to the left. The case has no decoration other than a US symbol in an oval that I tooled. The whole thing is too crude to take a picture of, but it did get my interest up a liitle.

That's the whole shootin' match except for an original Serpent buckle, an authentic Mississippi enlisted man's dress buckle, that I had made a pigskin belt for years ago. I laid that belt on the saddle bags. I printed up a museum style note giving the history of our saddle. Since we had a Mississippi Flag that was carried through the entire Civil War Centennial(1960-1965) . My girl wants the flag rolled up on its pole in a cover and mounted on a pedestal. I guess I'll have to make a case for the flag, with straps, and turn a very heavy base for the pole. I've got a good piece of persimmon that should do the trick.

All the best, Litlhof

Edited by LITLHOF

Hey Hidebanger:

I live in Seymour, just about as far north and as far west as you can get and still be in Sevier County. I really haven't done any leather work much for years and we disposed of all our stock when we closed. My oldest daughter,who sold all her horses some time back, decided she wanted an old McClellen saddle that had been in the family for years. I have been a woodworker all of my life and have made several saddle horses, but never one for a McClellen. I made a very narrow horse and put an old slouch hat my mother had given me years ago to add to the display. Then I figured I hadn't shot my 50 caliber Hawken for at least 20 years, so I threw that in. It was in a fringed suede case with a little bit of bead work on it. That didn't look quite right leaning up against the saddle, so I thought I'd make a scabbard. I looked through all my Civil War collectors books, but didn'see a single scabbard, so I just made one up. Scabbards used by cavalry as depicted in the movies run the gamit from simple tubes to flapped cases, mounted for or aft and on any side. My girl said she would want it on her left side. I mounted it with swivel snaps and straps stitched to the scabbard. Guess what, I've got to cinch the belly band, because the saddle tips to the left. The case has no decoration other than a US symbol in an oval that I tooled. The whole thing is too crude to take a picture of, but it did get my interest up a liitle.

That's the whole shootin' match except for an original Serpent buckle, an authentic Mississippi enlisted man's dress buckle, that I had made a pigskin belt for years ago. I laid that belt on the saddle bags. I printed up a museum style note giving the history of our saddle. Since we had a Mississippi Flag that was carried through the entire Civil War Centennial(1960-1965) . My girl wants the flag rolled up on its pole in a cover and mounted on a pedestal. I guess I'll have to make a case for the flag, with straps, and turn a very heavy base for the pole. I've got a good piece of persimmon that should do the trick.

All the best, Litlhof

wassup man... i'm a newbie here too, still figurin out the postin thing. I live in Fairview, 30 miles west of Nashvegas. I sell cuff, belts and wares at local bike shows and the annual Tattoo conv my buddies shop puts on in th e city. I've mainly just done seats and bags and holsters for my buds. I set up a booth last weekend in Bell Buckle TN. its a HUGE craft fair, but turned out to be more 'flea market' stuff (at least were i was).. my stuff def stood out and got a lot of positive feed back so that was cool. sold enuff to cover booth an hotel.... Check with the local/area dealerships, they're always have weekend 'parties" and events. They're usually cool with dudes like us setting up in the lot. I also put thing in random store on consignment... whatever to keep it rollin..

good luck.