Johanna

California Slim Jim Holster Tutorial and Patterns

LW's friend Jim Simmons has shared another fantastic lesson with us- the California Slim Jim Holster.

thankyou.gif

California Holster Patterns.pdf

California Holster Tutorial.pdf

Nice, huh?

Johanna

Jo and Jim you guys have done it again just love how detailed the tutorial gets and the pics are great

very well done guys thank you

Cowboy316

Jim,

It's hard to imagine how much time you devoted to these tutorials. Thank you very much.

Dan

Great tutorial thanks a bunch.

I had totally forgotten about that thing with making your own awl, had read there write up on that a long time ago and filed it away lol.

Jim! Fantastic job on the tutorial and patterns!!!

Wow! Most professional teachers don't have materials this well organized.

Also, thanks to Johanna for encouraging this!!

Thank you so much Jim.

First let me say thanks for the tutorial, I'm a newnbie and every little bit helps.

Now for my issue - I'm making a holster for an 1851 Colt Navy revolver (the smaller of the 2 patterns). However, the pattern is way too small (both in circumference and in length) for the actual pistol. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong in downloading the material? How do I get the correct size?

Thanks in advance

First let me say thanks for the tutorial, I'm a newnbie and every little bit helps.

Now for my issue - I'm making a holster for an 1851 Colt Navy revolver (the smaller of the 2 patterns). However, the pattern is way too small (both in circumference and in length) for the actual pistol. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong in downloading the material? How do I get the correct size?

Thanks in advance

You mite have printer setting for fit for paper. Some of these mite take a couple sheets to print them out to the correct size.

You mite have printer setting for fit for paper. Some of these mite take a couple sheets to print them out to the correct size.

That was it. Thanks!

Tell Jim 'THANK YOU!!!" I just finished my none-too-flashy-but-totally-usable holster form my Pietta revolver. Works GREAT!! And I couldn't have done it without those 2 pdf's. Thank Jim for making it, and you for posting it. :)

Sincerely,

Mark

One Happy Camper

LW's friend Jim Simmons has shared another fantastic lesson with us- the California Slim Jim Holster.

thankyou.gif

Nice, huh?

Johanna

Great tutorial! I will try this very soon. Thanks.

(I'm a new member and novice leather crafter better woodworker)

thankyou.gif

Nice, huh?

Johanna

Great pattern & tutorial. Trying to visualize the belt loop in order to make this into a left-side cross draw holster.....

How would I do that?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by DLBarr

Great pattern & tutorial. Trying to visualize the belt loop in order to make this into a left-side cross draw holster.....

How would I do that?

Thanks,

Dave

The only secret to Lefts and Rights in patterns is flipping the pattern over. Now, that sounds simple enough but with holster patterns (and the cross draw belt loops) you can cut out the pattern on the posterboard, fold it on the center line, and then place the cross draw belt loop pattern on the holster pattern as it would be if sewn on to see if it shapes up the way you want it to. Remember, however the pattern looks is how the holster will look.

Enjoy!

Jim

Thanks for the files!thankyou.gif

Hi,

I wanted to make one of this holsters by I tottally don't know what should how big it should be (I'm afraid my printer will change the size of pattern). I don't have any gun, holster is just training in leatherworking and sheridan style carving. So could you tell me if this are proper measurements?

By the way, thank you for this tutorial and patterns.

post-45537-0-73546200-1380385261_thumb.j

Edited by Kornik

Make measurement #2 10" and adjust the other dimensions to match. I am basing this on measuring an 1861 Navy which I'm pretty sure is the gun it was designed for.

Dan

Ive just started working leather into my arts and have actually made one already, but having a pattern to start instead of creating my own , Wow what a time and frustration saver. Thank you very much, Mitch :yes:

I am about to tool this design. From some research it looks like every line, including the leaf veins are swivel knife cuts correct?

Would you start you leaf vein cut at the stem and then lighten up at the end?

I am about to tool this design. From some research it looks like every line, including the leaf veins are swivel knife cuts correct?

Would you start you leaf vein cut at the stem and then lighten up at the end?

Hey Billy,

Here is a pic of one of these I tooled (I slapped it on a different holster, but it's one of Jim's flowers). I used a flower center, a back grounder and a beveler, everything else was a swivel knife. My cuts tend to run a little crude so it's hard to say where I stop and start but running from the stem out and lightening up at the end is a great plan,

Good luck, post some pictures when you get it done!

Josh

post-19070-0-88682000-1443537071_thumb.j

I'm doing a slim jim for a CSA re-enactor friend. Since he is a reb I have more freedom in what holster he carries. My goal was to get close to the old nail engraved holsters so I did it all with the swivel and a few seeders. No backgrounder, no bevel. I should be done tonight. The only thing I really don't care for so far is my janky edge grooves. I'm looking a different groover to see if I can improve around the corners. Since it's supposed to be moderately old I'm not sweating it on this one.

Edited by Billy Hell

Excellent! Great tips in the tutorial!

I made a pair of these and a cartridge belt for my 1873 SAAs. I love how they turned out. Very good pattern and tutorial. If you've never made a holster I'd highly recommend this as a starting point.

IMG_1907_zps5xzwtupj.jpg

lookin' forward to trying the Slim Jim for my 1851 navy colt. I've seen some versions that have instead of a flap, a leather loop that fits over the hammer, so I think I'll give that a go.

Thanks so much for the pattern and tutorial.

AL