MagiKelly

Wet formed bag tutorial

MagiKelly,

As the resident newbie I just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial, I love the bag.

Thanks. I am so pleased that people continue to get benefit from this tutorial. I am still very much a beginner, only doing the odd project here and there. I really will need to do the photos for a tutorial on my next project. I feel kind of guilty I have not really done much since this one.

Great tutorial, thanks so much! :)

HI what kind of leather are you using here? would bridle butt work? does it matter if it is already coloured? cheers :)

I've made bags out of almost every sort of veg tanned leather so don't think the type matters. Thicker is harder to shape but holds the shape better.

It does need to be veg tanned though and dyed through stuff is unlikely to work. At least the stuff I tried was no good.

thanks for the reply,my stuff is veg tanned so will have a crack at a small version of this project i think :)

What's a good way to avoid nail/tack holes on the area that will be the finished product ? So far all I can think of is trying to plan out where my stitching holes will be and put the nails there or making a piece of wood that will fit over the mold like a kinda bracelet (best way to describe what I'm thinking ) do the nail holes hide well ?

I worried a bit about where the nail holes would be an issue but it has turned out not to be a problem. The nail hole is either on a stitching hole or between. So the stitch either goes through it or over it. Either way it is covered up. Of course it helps that I use small nails that make holes not much bigger than the stitching awl.

Thank you for this great tutorial!

Just finished my new "EveryDayBeltBag" :yes:

7x1a.jpg

va3j.jpg

Edited by JuF

Thank you, what a great tutorial!

Hi and thanks for the tute. It is interesting to see how others do it. I wet form and then have a negative shape cut out of plywood and clamp that over the top to hold the leather down. This way there are no nails. But if I get a tricky one I will have another trick up my sleeve now and can remember to pop in a nail or two. The other hint I liked was to use the belt slot punch for the D-ring attachment. I make a large plain style pouch and carry that on a belt for a first aid kit in the bush. I also make a few smaller pouches that contain Tobacco tins for carrying bits of kit relating to my archery addiction.

Here are a few pics of my first attempts. I learn each project. I am going to tackle a 17th century style hunting bag soon.

As I said these are my first attempts, any feedback and criticism would be appreciated.

pouches-small.jpg

misc-small.jpg

Belts-small.jpg

post-44847-0-19834300-1391430463_thumb.j

post-44847-0-47765700-1391430489_thumb.j

post-44847-0-43508700-1391430500_thumb.j

Edited by 1lupus

Really nice tutorial. I especially like how you attach the buckle and the D-rings on the back - very neat and good looking. The whole process is quite time-consuming, but the results are worth it I guess.

That is a great tutorial,,I make so formed items too. The thing I do different is , I make a mold plate to fit over the wood block you are molding to, make it big enough to allow for the leather thickness ,then after molding to the block as you do and cutting the pleats ,start pushing the plate over the block pushing all sides evenly then get claps and then tighten a little at a time evenly around the block till it is all the down all the way around then wait like you do to dry. make sure all edges are smooth because it will show all rough spots. Thanks I might need this sometime to make something too ,always good to have several ways to do things.

Thanks very much....b

Thanks so much! So inspiring and educational....beautiful work.

Hi MagiKelly,

This is an old post, but I am fairly new to the forum.

When I first saw what you have done I just had to try my hand at making a bag!

I have made use of a mould with a push down rectangle which I just clamp down. It saves me all the effort to cut into the leather and to nail it down.

Here is my version of your inspiring tutorial.

post-51328-0-92448700-1411469543_thumb.j

post-51328-0-07498900-1411469591_thumb.j

Thanks for sharing it with so many people all over the world - I am from South Africa

Regards

If it inspired you to have a go then I'm happy.

I've mostly seen the option of using an inverted form to hold it in shape while the leather dries but I lacked the skill to make one so went down the nailing it route. But whatever works for you is the way to go ;)

But you need a form mould firstly, you can go to our website to take a look, we product different leather moulds :)

This is seriously fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to make this tutorial :D
Very much going to try this.... as soon as I can get myself a form... wondering if I can use a big ol' book or two... we shall see!

I'm so glad people are still finding this useful. I feel a bit guilty I've not done another tutorial since. I must break out the camera for the next journal I do.

Thanks very much!

I'm so pleased people are still finding this useful. I feel slightly guilty I never followed it up with any more tutorials but I have resolved that I will photograph by next book project in detail and write up a detailed tutorial. Hopefully that will be as well received as this one.

Simple & very useful. thanks much!