Sign in to follow this  
Curbstrap2

Montezuma Sons Saddle

I have an old saddle made by Montezuma Sons that I have had in storage for a while. I would like to put it up for sale and need to advertise it correctly. Problem is I can't find any info about Montezuma Sons Saddlery. Does anyone on the forum have any information about them?

I will try to post some pix when I get some time. Thanks all.

Here is a photo. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Montezuma son saddle.jpg

post-7537-125730434068_thumb.jpg

Sorry, no mention of the Montezuma Sons in Graham's guide that I have.

The problem is one doesn't always know just who made the saddle because at the time this saddle was made, many saddle companies made saddles for hardware and department stores and catalog sales. The stipulation was that the saddle would carry the retailer's name, not the saddlemaker's name or saddle making company name. It appears to have rather wide forks which weren't popular. That may account for why the saddle appears to be in fairly good condition.

This is what I know about it. It's entirely rough out, and it has plenty of scars. Worst are the ends of the bear trap swells. It was brought into a pawn shop in New Mexico by an old Mexican cowboy who claims he rode it for 40 years and used it to break colts. It has felt rather than sheepskin underneath and laced leathers. Its maker marked in a few places 'Montezuma Sons Saddlery'.

Edited by Curbstrap2

From the pic I thot it was in good shape. Felt was sometimes used, being pure wool. I think it was more to do with market fluctuations on fleece. Beartraps were often used for colt breaking until there were some serious wrecks because the riders couldn't bail out.

From the pic I thought it was in good shape. Felt was sometimes used, being pure wool. I think it was more to do with market fluctuations on fleece. Beartraps were often used for colt breaking until there were some serious wrecks because the riders couldn't bail out.

I told this story to a rancher friend of mine who said the last thing he would use to break colts is a rig with a castrator (metal) horn.

We have and old saddle tree that we stripped the leather off of that originally looked like that saddle, more or less. My Grandaddy said they ordered it from Sears and Roebuck, back in the 30's or so, he use to break horses in it since you were kinda glued to the seat with those wide swells. No telling how many stores carried that style of saddle.

Hi the saddle is mexican made I think they were located in sonora ? the felt is how all the ones I ever saw were made. I spent a lot of time in them when I was young on a friends ranch in baha ca. that was the saddle of choice for the vaqueros in that area if they could afford it new they about 200 dlls american alot of money back then 40 yrs +- one of the more comfortable saddles that I have ridden brought one home to use here but was too narrow for my qtr horses dont know if they are still is business hope that helps . Mark

Hi the saddle is mexican made I think they were located in sonora ? the felt is how all the ones I ever saw were made. I spent a lot of time in them when I was young on a friends ranch in baha ca. that was the saddle of choice for the vaqueros in that area if they could afford it new they about 200 dlls american alot of money back then 40 yrs +- one of the more comfortable saddles that I have ridden brought one home to use here but was too narrow for my qtr horses dont know if they are still is business hope that helps . Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the info. I will look into Montezuma Saddlery in Sonora and see what I come up with.