Sign in to follow this  
JTknives

My restored Champion

well after a ton of work and even more elbow grease my old champion stitcher is clean. man she look like a million bucks and to thing i onley payed $200. she has lost some paint but thats OK. I'm probably not going to repaint her because i think she looks great now that she is clean. man talk about a ton of parts, i had not worked on it for a week or so and then i was like man where did all these parts come from. but with out further adu i give you some before and after shots of my new old Champion Leather sewing machine.

here is the before shots, this is what it looked like when i picked it up. the whole thing was covered with grease and wax that had dirt and crap mixed with it as well as some mud hornet nests. so it was a pain it the butt to clean. it was completely froze up when i got it and would not turn over at all.

DSC02820.JPG

DSC02821.JPG

DSC02822.JPG

DSC02823.JPG

DSC02824.JPG

DSC02826.JPG

DSC02827.JPG

DSC02828.JPG

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02830.JPG

now here it is after tons of hours of taking things apart and cleaning them. looks good i think.

P1020203.JPG

P1020206.JPG

P1020207.JPG

P1020209.JPG

P1020219.JPG

P1020217.JPG

P1020216.JPG

P1020213.JPG

P1020214.JPG

P1020204.JPG

Great looking Machine.....Now let us see some stiches.. :clapping::clapping:

Great looking Machine.....Now let us see some stiches.. clapping.gifclapping.gif

I first need to get some good thread but i dont know what i should run through for knife sheaths. I was thinking like a number 5 size linen thread. i would like to use a liquid wax though.

You did a fine job cleaning it up !! Now the $64.00 question would you do it again ? :-)

As for thread sizes i would use a 6 cord linen thread instead of 5 Cord it is a pretty durn big thread. I had a American straight needle machine several years ago. It's similar to yours and i used 6 cord on it for everthing i made. You need to get some wax strippers to go in the pot if you don't have some already, or i guess it uses them anyway. Their a rubber plug that goes in the pot to strip some of the wax off of the thread so you don't have mess on what your sewing.

Wow! That thing looks like it'd sew through a Buick!! Nice job!

Looks really great! Super job! I did notice one piece that needs brazed or something. The thread looper is almost wore through.That's a nice looking foot too. Did you make it?

chamion2.JPG

post-8022-125738874994_thumb.jpg

Edited by ryano

Oh can you please share in your processes of cleaning it up? I am going to be doing the same thing to a Champion wide throat really soon.

Thanks!

Looks really great! Super job! I did notice one piece that needs brazed or something. The thread looper is almost wore through.That's a nice looking foot too. Did you make it?

have noticed that i am going to need braze that as well as the other swimg arm by it. yes i did make the pressure foot, i wanted somthing a little wider and with and open front so i could see where the needle was going.

Did you get it sewing yet? I did notice that your bottom thread is not correct and also the placement of the bobbin case, which should place itself when the machine turns over. That's if it doesnt bind the machine.

Edited by ryano

Did you get it sewing yet? I did notice that your bottom thread is not correct and also the placement of the bobbin case, which should place itself when the machine turns over. That's if it doesnt bind the machine.

I stand corrected on the placement of the bobbin case. It is clocked correctly in the last picture of it.