Jordan

Knife Sheath for a K-Bar

I needed practice and my old K-Bar that I recently found and cleaned up, needed a sheath, so I rumaged a piece of scrap and let 'er fly. Turned out pretty good for my 1st sheath attempt, I will have to refine and improve on it for the farmers market this summer.

P3280119.JPG

P3280118.JPG

P3280114.JPG

P3280116.JPG

post-4868-1206752486_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1206752520_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1206752581_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1206752741_thumb.jpg

um.. ya sure that's the first time you've done a sheath? lloks more like you've been doin' 'em for awhile! noyce.

Yup 1st one, helps that I been messin with leather for awhile and the three volume stohlman books on making cases is an invaluable asset. Thought I'd throwin a hair barret for ya Drac Thats a cutical stick (multipurpose tool for the ladies)

Leather_Craft_Pictures_008.jpg

post-4868-1206758287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Very nice work Jordan!! Good looking Kbar too!!!

Good job Jordan! Tight squeeze for a basketweave, but you made it work.

That barrette says you really are an ol hippy...lol

You :clapping: are looking good Jordan.... keep up the good work. like that Basketweave pattern.

Yup 1st one, helps that I been messin with leather for awhile and the three volume stohlman books on making cases is an invaluable asset. Thought I'd throwin a hair barret for ya Drac Thats a cutical stick (multipurpose tool for the ladies)

:NEWFUNNYPOST: LOL

Jordan, Beautiful Sheath! Hold on to that knife... So many of the older K-Bars became so pitted they became unserviceable.. (High Carbon Steel) What did you use for the beautiful finish? Nice Job!

Yes, great work! And a beautiful color. Congrats -- that's one heckuva first sheath. :cheers:

I used tandy block out on the basketweave and fiebings british tan dye on the rest, on the last brush stroke I dripped on the blockout so I did a quick wipe over it with the dye, got lucky that the dye didn't soak through the waterbased blockout and it ended up 2 tone instead of a major screwup. Ah, yes the memories of the ol' hippie days, like the outdoor Grateful Dead Concerts, getting kicked out of Disneyland on National Yippie Day, no bills but no money either. I didn't put much thought into the retention strap just slapped it on and not to happy with that. I will have to do better in that area if I make anymore, I noticed while wearing it I hit my elbow on the top of the knife repeatedly, so I imagine raising the belt loop or putting a foward cant on it would lower the knife to prevent that?

Actually that is not a Kabar. It is a Airmans rescue knife from Camillus.

Nice looking sheath.

Good lookin work Jordan!

Solid and suits the knife well, it has that look that says -will last for a lifetime!

That basketweave in that space, phew, tough one and you get points for bravery.

Tom

Thanks guys and yes on further inspection it does say camillus n.y. 11-1981 on the handle

Hey Jordan,, i just saw your sheath,,cool beans,, I have always enjoyed a folded pocket for single edge blades (i think they are stronger)

I needed practice and my old K-Bar that I recently found and cleaned up, needed a sheath, so I rumaged a piece of scrap and let 'er fly. Turned out pretty good for my 1st sheath attempt, I will have to refine and improve on it for the farmers market this summer.

Looks great. Have you ever thought about making an original style sheath for that knife like the one it came with? I came across a large lot of these military grade Camillus knives tucked away in a military warehouse since 1984 so I bought about 10 cases of them... Camillus went out of business in 2007 so collectors like them even the civilian style like yours. Take a look at one of the original style sheaths on my knife site Camillus Knife. You did a great job on the clean up on that knife, it looks new. I have a scanned copy of the orginal sales flyer of your knife if you would like a copy I can email it to you.

Great info on those knives, I found the original sheath awhile back, it had the stone pocket, was riveted but did not have the flat bottom and metal plate, just came to a point like the one I made. Interesting that they are somewhat collectible, I figured there were way too many out there to have much value, guess I will hang on to it and take it to Antique road show in about 20 years. :yeah: