jdwintx

Singer 211G

I'm looking at picking up a Singer 211G and in my research Singers technical manual states that the machine is a 1/4" under the foot but that an optional 3/8" is available. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Can you purchase the part that does change it from 1/4 to 3/8" and replace that yourself? How about the overall characteristics of the machine, I'm looking to sew motorcyle saddlebags, chaps, equipment cases (cell phone's, laptop bags, etc.) Can it handle it. I didn't see any posts on the machine so any advice would be great.

Hello,

I have a 211G166 and the presser foot lifts a little above a half of an inch and it has reverse. Mine will sew an honest half of an inch. What is the rest of the numbers on the machine? I did change the bobbin case and a few parts to make the machine have a large bobbin. I also put on a homemade speed reducer to slow her down quite a bit. It will sew chaps all day. I do not know about sewing mc bags though. It will not sew the ones that I make. I don't sew them anyway, I lace them. They are really nice machines, some came with a large bobbin.

Hello,

I have a 211G166 and the presser foot lifts a little above a half of an inch and it has reverse. Mine will sew an honest half of an inch. What is the rest of the numbers on the machine? I did change the bobbin case and a few parts to make the machine have a large bobbin. I also put on a homemade speed reducer to slow her down quite a bit. It will sew chaps all day. I do not know about sewing mc bags though. It will not sew the ones that I make. I don't sew them anyway, I lace them. They are really nice machines, some came with a large bobbin.

The one I'm looking at is a 211G155 which is without a reverse

Hi,

We have a 211G166, 211G266 and a 211G256, which are all pretty similar and all have compound feed with alternating presser feet and reverse feed.

They can just about handle a couple of layers of 7 or 8oz leather, although I wouldn't make a habit of using them for this. Singer recommended them for automotive work (upholstery) tents, awnings, leather coats, work gloves and similar articles so they are quite versatile. Parts are relatively cheap and plentiful.

We have a 211G157 about somewhere, but this has only compound feed without the alternating pressers and less clearance, therefore I don't use it much.

We also have a 211G146 which has only drop feed and a ball bearing roller presser. This is fine for shoes gloves, handbags and other medium weight leather goods, but no good for heavier stuff like motorcycle bags.

Singer also produced versions of the 211G with underbed trimimming (211G457, 211G665, 211G666 etc.). Among the versions that came with large capacity bobbins were the 211G357 (similar to the 157), 211G358, 211G466 (similar to the 266).

In my experience, all the 211G class of machines are very robust and will take a lot of abuse without falling apart, they were all made at Singers factory in Karlsruhe, Germany and are a lot better than the later 211U class that were made in Utsunomiga, Japan.

Steve

Thanks folks. Do you think it is worth it without the reverse? I can pick up a Consew 225 or 290 for the same price I believe the 225 is basically the same as the Singer 111, not sure about the 290 though.

Thanks folks. Do you think it is worth it without the reverse? I can pick up a Consew 225 or 290 for the same price I believe the 225 is basically the same as the Singer 111, not sure about the 290 though.

I do think that you would be better off with reverse, if you can get it, reverse makes life that little bit easier.

I can't comment on the Consew 225 or 290, however, I do use a Consew 206RB-1, which is also similar to the compound feed, alternating presser versions of the Singer 111 and 211. These are very good machines, but still not quite as well built as the Singers. The main advantage of the Consew 206 is that it has the larger capacity bobbin, I suspect that this is true of the 225 and 290, although, as I say, I have no experience of these two machines. The Singer 111 and 211 are, mechanically, very similar and have a number of common parts.

Steve

Forget about the Consew 290 & get the 225 which is a clone of the 111w155.I like them better than a 211 since they have a larger handwheel & are easier to slow down.

OK, I went ahead and picked up the 211, should be here this week. Now the question is what type of thread and needles should I get? I can find the info on Singers site but I'm having a h*** of a time trying to find out what these numbers convert to. According to Singer manual it has Needle #22 for Thread 16-24, and then Needle #20 for Thread 24-30, it also states that thread must be "left twist" thread. So my question is, who are good suppliers for these items and also what are the converted numbers? Additionally is there a special code to order "left twist"? I swear that it reminds me of a left handed crescent wrench.

OK, I went ahead and picked up the 211, should be here this week. Now the question is what type of thread and needles should I get? I can find the info on Singers site but I'm having a h*** of a time trying to find out what these numbers convert to. According to Singer manual it has Needle #22 for Thread 16-24, and then Needle #20 for Thread 24-30, it also states that thread must be "left twist" thread. So my question is, who are good suppliers for these items and also what are the converted numbers? Additionally is there a special code to order "left twist"? I swear that it reminds me of a left handed crescent wrench.

Hi jdwintx, your 211 will be sewing for the next 40 years. There are parts available forever. If you are sewing leather, then you want the 135X16 TRI system, #'s 18-24. The thread that I would use is a bonded nylon. The 211 will handle from 69-207 on top, but do not use a 207 in the bobbin, use a 138 in the bobbin when using a 207 on top. Nowadays, all thread for sewing machines is a left twist. Thanks, Steve

Thanks, I hope it will. Once I get it in and taken apart, cleaned and put back together I'll be ready to go. Hopefully there won't be much work required. Thanks for the info on the needles and thread, it is appreciated.

HI folks,

Absolute Newbie here, I picked up a Singer 211g157 last weekend, I had been reading the posts here prior. It is going to take a little TLC to operate normally.

I see Steve mentions there are parts available for these, I have been scouring the net, and I'm confused.

Could anyone recommend a good place to find parts? accessories

Would anyone know if putting in a bigger bobbin is an option on this machine?

I am hoping to make my own backpack and accessories to begin with,

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated as would any advice on what I've just myself into ?

Thanks.

Hi Ryano,

I realize this is a very old post but Im interested in what you did to increase the bobbin size on your 211G166. I have just acquired a 211G156 and was wondering if I could upgrade mine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skylark53