Sign in to follow this  
frank207

Cracking Belt Problem

I have recently made 7 belts from the same piece of hide (9/10oz bull hide from ZW). Three belts were vinergrooned, Two were dyed with Fiebings Oil Dye, One was stained and the only one that Cracked quite badly (you not only saw the crackes but it was like popping bubble wrap!) was dyed Yellow (two coats with stamped roses dyed red) using Fiebings spirt dye, not the oil dye. After dyeing and drying overnight I oiled it the next day and let it sit for another night. It didn't appear that dry because the oil kind of sat on top for awhile soaking in slowly. After drying overnight I then put on two coats of Tandy's super sheen, which I use exclusively, and have not had any problems with cracking.

I live in Maine and my shop is not heated and right now the night temp. is getting down to around 40 deg. in my shop, outside it's colder than that. Would the cold have anything to do with this problem? Or, does it have something to do with the spirit dye and dry leather? If it's the dye/leather problem how do you tell if the belt should be oiled first? Most everyong suggest oiling after dyeing.

I'm going to my first Fair on Saturday and needless to say I'm dissappointed about the belt. I have time to make another one if I can figure out what happened, I don't want to get the same results!

Thanks in advance

Frank

Did the whole belt crack or just where you were folding it for the buckle?

ole

Did the whole belt crack or just where you were folding it for the buckle?

The whole belt.

I have recently made 7 belts from the same piece of hide (9/10oz bull hide from ZW). Three belts were vinergrooned, Two were dyed with Fiebings Oil Dye, One was stained and the only one that Cracked quite badly (you not only saw the crackes but it was like popping bubble wrap!) was dyed Yellow (two coats with stamped roses dyed red) using Fiebings spirt dye, not the oil dye. After dyeing and drying overnight I oiled it the next day and let it sit for another night. It didn't appear that dry because the oil kind of sat on top for awhile soaking in slowly. After drying overnight I then put on two coats of Tandy's super sheen, which I use exclusively, and have not had any problems with cracking.

I live in Maine and my shop is not heated and right now the night temp. is getting down to around 40 deg. in my shop, outside it's colder than that. Would the cold have anything to do with this problem? Or, does it have something to do with the spirit dye and dry leather? If it's the dye/leather problem how do you tell if the belt should be oiled first? Most everyong suggest oiling after dyeing.

I'm going to my first Fair on Saturday and needless to say I'm dissappointed about the belt. I have time to make another one if I can figure out what happened, I don't want to get the same results!

Thanks in advance

Frank

Hi Frank,

There are quite a few things that could be contributing to your problem, but it sounds to me like the leather you're using might be at least partially at fault. You say it's bull hide.... I'd be curious as to know the source of the leather. If it's a south american leather, and depending on the tannage, and the amount of plating done to it, that could be the problem. If the leather is actually too dry, then the spirit dye will only aggravate the problem. But I would have thought that your oil would have helped out there. Cold temps and lack of humidity can cause issues as well, but normally those things wouldn't cause cracking in such a severe manner. I think I'd try treating a small pc of leather the same way you did your belt, and then put a coat of bick 4 or a something similar on it, either front and back, but at least on the back, and put some heat to it. That should ease any cracking problem... But I just get a feeling that it has more to do with the leather. Sorry I can't be more help! :)

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

I would follow Kevins suggestion and also when your folding the buckle loop wet it down and fold it. To thick of leather sometimes will split where you fold it if the fold is to tight atleast I have experienced that from some leathers.