TroyS

What the heck is it?

Ok, I was at a local flea market and found this tool. I have no idea what it is, all I know it was cheap (.50 cents) and I may be able to use it in my leather work.

It has "B.O. PAINE CO." stamped in the side. I Googled it but only found an old antique nail cutter for slate roofs.

Any of you folks have an idea?

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

post-6344-125821582079_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821582216_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821582375_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821582533_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821582707_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821582859_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821583008_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821583152_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821583312_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821583476_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821586821_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125821586886_thumb.jpg

Ok, I was at a local flea market and found this tool. I have no idea what it is, all I know it was cheap (.50 cents) and I may be able to use it in my leather work.

It has "B.O. PAINE CO." stamped in the side. I Googled it but only found an old antique nail cutter for slate roofs.

Any of you folks have an idea?

look similar to the tool to do the mortar joint s on brick

I'd be inclined to agree. We'd call it a 'pointing' tool in the UK.

Ray

one end looks like you could use for a large beader blade. or throw it and see if it comes back!

charlie

Edited by iwannabeacowboy

It is a masons beaded tuck pointing tool I believe. Something that would be used in stone joints not red brick type possibly.

beaded%20tools%20new.JPG

Edited by TTcustom

It is called a bead jointer and it is used for making a "beaded" mortar joint between brick or stone masonry. The one end is used to pack and smooth the mortar in the joint and then the side with the grove is used to shape the bead.

This link will show you the different types of mortar joints and the second link shows you the kinds of jointers used.

http://images.google...IFYbzmQeGkKjMCw

http://images.google...pF8azmQe525TRCw

I have a number of jointers that I use for masonry and stone work but I have never tried them with leather work. I don't see why they wouldn't work and in fact I am going to look at more of my tools in a different light now. Thanks for the idea.

I'd be inclined to agree. We'd call it a 'pointing' tool in the UK.

Ray

one end looks like you could use for a large beader blade. or throw it and see if it comes back!

charlie

It is a masons beaded tuck pointing tool I believe. Something that would be used in stone joints not red brick type possibly.

beaded%20tools%20new.JPG

It is called a bead jointer and it is used for making a "beaded" mortar joint between brick or stone masonry. The one end is used to pack and smooth the mortar in the joint and then the side with the grove is used to shape the bead.

This link will show you the different types of mortar joints and the second link shows you the kinds of jointers used.

http://images.google...IFYbzmQeGkKjMCw

http://images.google...pF8azmQe525TRCw

I have a number of jointers that I use for masonry and stone work but I have never tried them with leather work. I don't see why they wouldn't work and in fact I am going to look at more of my tools in a different light now. Thanks for the idea.

I had a feeling it was something to do with masonry but wasn't sure. Maybe I could use it to really get in them tight corners...

Thank you ALL for the help!