CitizenKate

Photo Demo: Making a Biker Wallet

Good to know that there are people out there liking Italien bikes....me tooo!!!! Bella Italia!! I can just picture these Laverda's, Ducati's, Moto Guzzi's and all the MV Augustas...ohhhhh these Italiens.

James

ummmm.....don't forget us aprilia riders, jimbob. you got it half right with mention of the laverdas. LOL

I have made several wallets using this pattern now, and would just like to ask the Mods to pin this topic. Thanks, Kate.

great post Kate. I cant wait to start my new wallet

Edited by NOMADMAD

Nice wallets

Quick question Kate - what's your preferred leather weight for the outer cover to allow for some decent tooling?

Semi-related question:

I'm planning on making myself a basic shoulder bag and part of the design I'm planning on, is to have a zippered back pocket for air-plane tickets and a passport.

Suggestions on solid zippers for such use? preferably a brass colored one, since I'll be using brass hardware other places.

(Or, are saddleback right in their claim that a zipper will never hold up to enough abuse and should be excluded?)

Quick question Kate - what's your preferred leather weight for the outer cover to allow for some decent tooling?

McJeep

I use 3-4oz veg tan.....works well on tooling and is still enough

flexible to be a good outer cover for a biker wallet.

I like to use 2-3oz veg tan for inner liner....

Latly I am using lots of chrome tan for liner and inside

Pockets.....

Greetings

James

Thanks JImBob! :)

Sorry for the newbie question & and I do realize this is an older thead but could someone please give some pointers as to how to properly attatch the cover to the liner?

Thanks,

Ron.

Hi Ron,

The back half of the cover stitches to the back side of part 5, and the front snaps down to the front of the zipper pouch. Next time I make one, I'll shoot photos that show how the cover attaches.

Kate

Hi. I am working on this biker wallet to try to get into the swing of creating non-kit projects and to see if I can learn how to hand stitch in the straight line :no:

I am wondering about the second piece (back of the cover, slightly smaller than the cover piece). Is this piece somewhat optional, to be added if you don't want the backside of the cover to show the flesh side or perhaps to thicken up the cover if using the same weight of leather for the entire piece? I have cut out all parts except for this piece, as the flesh side of the cover is pretty decent and the cover piece is of heavier weight and doesn't need to be any thicker.

Thanks, Clark

Edited by cbeatti2

Wow. I'm glad someone resurrected this thread. Nice job on tutorial Kate... thanks!

I am wondering about the second piece (back of the cover, slightly smaller than the cover piece). Is this piece somewhat optional, to be added if you don't want the backside of the cover to show the flesh side or perhaps to thicken up the cover if using the same weight of leather for the entire piece?

Hi Clark,

That is exactly it, the second piece is a liner, and the wallet will function perfectly well without it.

Kate

great tutorial, thanks!!

Thanks for this posting! I'll post pics when I finish my first wallet.

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to try one of these wallets soon!

greatly appreciate your tutorial, very well done, I beleive a talent is given to be shared...i beleive the riches come from sharing not the selling..just my opinion and experience over the years.. thank you to everyone that shares there skills to help others..you are truly great people , keep up the great work..phil

bump for the build :clapping:

This is great really appreciate the effort you have gone to on this for all of us :)

Will be giving this a go really soon. Would you happen to have dimensions of the parts please ?

Can I just ask do zips come in different sizes - length wise -or are the just super long and you cut it to length required ?

Thanks again for this :)

This is great really appreciate the effort you have gone to on this for all of us :)

Will be giving this a go really soon. Would you happen to have dimensions of the parts please ?

Can I just ask do zips come in different sizes - length wise -or are the just super long and you cut it to length required ?

Thanks again for this :)

You can print out the PDF file in the OP and the templets are the correct dimensions.

You can print out the PDF file in the OP and the templets are the correct dimensions.

Ahh ok that's great :)

I might make it a bit deeper for British money as I think it might be a bit to small for uk notes any one else found this ?

I was wondering about the pattern- there seems to be 2 pieces for the cover- one with stitches and one with just the snap holes. So it appears to me that there are two covers? I'm sure i missed something.....