David

Latest step by step seat build

Im loving your work, you are a true artist and a big inspiration to the rest of us on the site to do better and be more. I really enjoy your lacing style, im not sure if you have covered it or not but what is the technique used to do this particular lace look, its fantastic! Thank you for the tutorial.

Outstanding work Dave! Thanks for sharing the journey on this project. Great inspiration, I hope to be this good one day.

When you say you put tape on the bottom of the seat pan, please can you explain how this helps? Is the foam cut to the edge of the pan, or does it go past the edge? Im not sure how much the leather should be larger than the seat outline. Im working on my first seat and Im having difficulty making the pattern. I hope someone can help. Thank you!

When you say you put tape on the bottom of the seat pan, please can you explain how this helps? Is the foam cut to the edge of the pan, or does it go past the edge? Im not sure how much the leather should be larger than the seat outline. Im working on my first seat and Im having difficulty making the pattern. I hope someone can help. Thank you!

The tape on the bottom of the pan will provide the shape of the bottom when it is removed. Just lay the tape out on the back of your leather, add 3/8" around the edge and you have your pattern. For the top pattern you do the same thing, but after the foam is added and trimmed to the edge of the pan.

Thank you very much David, that makes sense. I'll be giving it a try soon.

Dave, first thanks for a great tutorial, I've always admired your work. I do have a couple of clarification questions if you don't mind.

1.I understand your brief explanation about the steps outlined above but in the pictures earlier in the post you show the foam being mounted to the seat prior to the back being riveted, do you rivet the back piece first and then glue and trim the foam or vice versa? The text says one thing but the pictures and explaination shows a different process.

2. I've made my bottom pattern with tape as described and added 3/8" onto it, on the top though does your pattern only go to the edge of the top bevel and then get 3/8" added or does the pattern get created from the top prior to the beveling of the foam. I made my top pattern to the edge of the bevel and added 3/8" but it seems that it will be to small for the number of holes that the bottom piece has and as such will not match. Using about 1/4" spacing b/t holes I get 74 holes on each 1/2 of the bottom piece and with the difference in size between the top I cannot get that many on the top pattern without some running together, So my thought was that I was cutting the top pattern to small, but it matched the bevels which aren't that large. The only other difference is that I'm using 1" foam instead of 3/4" but that shouldn't affect the hole spacing..

Does this make sense? Any advice would be appreciated.

how many yards of 1/4" kangaroo lace is needed to do a double loop around a Bobber Solo Seat?

Your thread never gets old Dave!! You know I am a sucker for good work and maybe one day we will have a cold beer!

Your thread never gets old Dave!! You know I am a sucker for good work and maybe one day we will have a cold beer!

Two beers

Sorry for the delay here, I just saw the question today. My estimate for the amount of 1/4" lace is approximately 10-12 yards.

Dave

To the post about having a beer........... that is going to be some bar to include Finland, Italy and the U.S.

David, Great post, I have never done a bike seat but always wanted to. You remember I tried to get you to come to NM to the show. Anyway great job your the best. Is that a standard double loop lace job or some other pattern?

Randy

Wow..as a newbie just starting out I gotta say your skills are awe inspiring! incredible work! I'm itching to work the tools even more now! thanks!

Dave, first thanks for a great tutorial, I've always admired your work. I do have a couple of clarification questions if you don't mind.

1.I understand your brief explanation about the steps outlined above but in the pictures earlier in the post you show the foam being mounted to the seat prior to the back being riveted, do you rivet the back piece first and then glue and trim the foam or vice versa? The text says one thing but the pictures and explaination shows a different process.

2. I've made my bottom pattern with tape as described and added 3/8" onto it, on the top though does your pattern only go to the edge of the top bevel and then get 3/8" added or does the pattern get created from the top prior to the beveling of the foam. I made my top pattern to the edge of the bevel and added 3/8" but it seems that it will be to small for the number of holes that the bottom piece has and as such will not match. Using about 1/4" spacing b/t holes I get 74 holes on each 1/2 of the bottom piece and with the difference in size between the top I cannot get that many on the top pattern without some running together, So my thought was that I was cutting the top pattern to small, but it matched the bevels which aren't that large. The only other difference is that I'm using 1" foam instead of 3/4" but that shouldn't affect the hole spacing..

Does this make sense? Any advice would be appreciated.

The foam goes on first then rivet the back.

What size holes are you using? I use 1/8" holes for the 1/4" lace. My seats had 100 holes around a seat that had a 36" circumference.

Edited by David

What do you use for padding?

High density neoprene from Foam and More

do internet search for them.

Dave

This is looking awesome! I'd love to be able to do stuff like this. Great work !:-)

Hello, I know it's an old post, But I'm looking for sheet metal part to make motorcycle old school saddle. 

I you can help me and if you had some adress it would be cool.

Mich'