Denise

Hand made saddle trees

I have put together a list as best I could of hand made wood/rawhide saddle tree makers and their contact information. The best way to contact these people is by phone. Most don't have websites or listed e-mail addresses anywhere. I have added them where I could find them. If you know of other makers, or of changes in the contact information, please add to the list. I just thought if we had it all in one place it would be easier for saddle makers to find.

Ben Swanke

Swanke Saddle Company

219 N. 15th St.

Billings, Montana, USA

406-259-9227

Bill Bean

8000 Pearl Road

Eagle, Idaho, USA

208-963-0640

Dennis Lane

35 Pryor St.

Quirindi, New South Wales, Australia

011-61-267-461-544 (calling from North America)

www.dennislane.com.au – site regarding his Equine Back Profiling System.

Member of LW.net under his own name

Glenn Christman

Box 2527

Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada

T0K 1W0

403-627-5594

Jon Watsabaugh

4115 S.E. 15th St.

DesMoines, Iowa, USA

515-285-0799

Jon also does fiberglass covering on his trees

Member of LW.net under his own name

Keith Gertsch

Midway Saddle Tree Company

P.O. Box 451

130 South 250 West

Midway, Utah, USA

435-654-0383

Rick Reed

Double R Saddle Trees

Montana, USA

Bozeman?

307-851-6286? – cell number

Rod and Denise Nikkel

Box 2139

Valleyview, Alberta, Canada

T0H 3N0

780-524-2490

www.rodnikkel.com – an informational site for saddle makers

Member of LW.net under their own names

Warren Wright

337 Rowe Road, RD 3,

Ohauiti, Tauranga, New Zealand

Trees available through Dale and Karin Harwood (US Reps) of Shelley, Idaho

208-357-3803

I am not sure on Rick Reed's current phone number. I have also heard rumors that Keith Gertsch is not building anymore, but I have no idea if that is true or not. Anyone know for sure on either of these?

An addition to the list is Randy Alexander, owner of Timberline Tree Co. In addition to his production Timberline Trees, Randy is also offering handmade trees built by himself seperately from the production side of the business.

435-789-8228

Would anyone know of saddle makers that makes either trees or saddles for the Paso Fino gaited horse?

We have been selling tack for the Paso Fino horse and have to import all of it from Colombia where the breed originated from...

They require a a much more narrow tree to set up and off the withers, due their front end up and down sewing machine type gait, much like a mule tree we have been told? They are also shorter

backed which means a shorter tree and saddle..approx 21" - 23" for a trail saddle.

Any thoughts or suppliers would be greatly appreciated...we would really prefer to deal with a US based saddle maker, but can't get any US saddle makers to take an interest in this breed?

Enclosed a pic of one of our Colombian saddles made for the Paso Fino horse, nice fitting tree but the Colombian leather is not very good quality.

I am pretty sure Rod & Denise Nikkel. www.rodnikkel.com would be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have about trees for gaited horses or any other for that fact. I have had some inquiry's about gaited saddles as we have a few around these parts. I am not sure what saddle makers you have talked too, but there are a bunch here that are more than qualified, and some of em could make a saddle ta fit a camel if ya wanted.

Thanks

Tom

Would anyone know of saddle makers that makes either trees or saddles for the Paso Fino gaited horse?

We have been selling tack for the Paso Fino horse and have to import all of it from Colombia where the breed originated from...

They require a a much more narrow tree to set up and off the withers, due their front end up and down sewing machine type gait, much like a mule tree we have been told? They are also shorter

backed which means a shorter tree and saddle..approx 21" - 23" for a trail saddle.

Any thoughts or suppliers would be greatly appreciated...we would really prefer to deal with a US based saddle maker, but can't get any US saddle makers to take an interest in this breed?

Enclosed a pic of one of our Colombian saddles made for the Paso Fino horse, nice fitting tree but the Colombian leather is not very good quality.

Yes, we have made trees for gaited horses, including Paso Finos, and had good feedback from the riders on how well they work on their horses. Just PM us if you have questions or want more information.

I am pretty sure Rod & Denise Nikkel. www.rodnikkel.com would be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have about trees for gaited horses or any other for that fact. I have had some inquiry's about gaited saddles as we have a few around these parts. I am not sure what saddle makers you have talked too, but there are a bunch here that are more than qualified, and some of em could make a saddle ta fit a camel if ya wanted.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, thank you for the info and link, we will definitely check them out!

Yes, we have made trees for gaited horses, including Paso Finos, and had good feedback from the riders on how well they work on their horses. Just PM us if you have questions or want more information.

Hi Rod and Denise,

That is good to know, will check out your site and be talking with you soon!

I'm sure someone on here knows, who makes the trees with the medicine skull logo on them I know Larry Dugan uses them and so does John Rule.

Which of those companies are still making them ten years later?

Many good tree makers to choose from.  With a few exceptions, the list is still good. You can add:

-Dusty Smith, Buffalo, WY

-Brian Seifert, Powell, WY

I've been using Reed and Swanke trees for 20+ years and recommend them.

I’m looking for trooper style saddles. The type with suspension seats and metal cross horns as I call them