Sign in to follow this  
MikTigger

Is anyone making their own "blue guns"?

Does anyone know if there is a good material (read, inexpensive, and easy to work with, drys/hardens without shrinkage) to make "custom" "blue guns"? What I'm running into, is that some guns (and knives) have parts that, when wet molded around, will hold too tightly. Parts like; slide release pins, front sight, safety, magazine release, etc. on guns. And on knives; hilts, blade cutouts/holes, thumb studs, etc.

What I'd like to do is make a mold, then modify the mold, extending the protruding parts back out to the opening in the mold, then pour in the blue gu.

Plaster (at least the stuff I got from the hobby shop) shrinks and cracks. Durhams Rock Hard Putty shrinks and warps (regardless of their claim). Epoxy is too expensive, time consuming, and tough clean up.

If it's cheap enough, one time use is ok for the plug. The mold should be good for a few pours.

Mostly, I don't want to be doing my own plastic recycling in the garage. Some type of two part poly that's not as pricey as epoxy would be great.

Mik

If what you are looking for is a material to make the mold I would suggest dental stone. It mixes and pours like plaster but does not shrink and crack. It can be carved and sanded to add the detail you want. It is used in the dental industry to make forms for dentures. I used it in law enforcement,at crime scenes, to make castings of tire imprints etc. because it gave a durable and faithful imprint of all of the details. I don't have a source at the moment for it but you can probably google it. Wasn't expensive when I was buying it in 20lb bags. Dries to a smooth surface but if using it as a mold I would seal it with spray laquer anyway. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post.... It's a good idea...

If you read my other post, you'll understand that dummie guns area a real problem for me... lol.