Sign in to follow this  
Leaddriver

1850-60's leather terms

I am looking at military equipment from the 1850-60's and need some help as to the terms used. First is russet bag leather, I know what russet is however what is bag leather and what might the weight be? Question number two sole leather, what is the weight of this? I can not find a description of either one of these terms. I have looked in an ordnance manual but it does not have leather listed, has everything else. Any answers would be a great help,

Thanks

Bill

I am looking at military equipment from the 1850-60's and need some help as to the terms used. First is russet bag leather, I know what russet is however what is bag leather and what might the weight be? Question number two sole leather, what is the weight of this? I can not find a description of either one of these terms. I have looked in an ordnance manual but it does not have leather listed, has everything else. Any answers would be a great help,

Thanks

Bill

Leather from the period is often referred to by its intended purpose rather than anything else. I've been studying the mid 19th century for some time and have yet to find a resource that lists things like weights of leather used in any definitive format that can be translated. The best option is to examine original items and equipment and go from there.

From what I have learned, bag leather is light weight, some where around 6 ounces or so. Sole leather is in the 14 ounce range. Do not forget that leathers of the period were produced differently than veg tanned leathers of today. They were all pit tanned rather than tanned in a drum and as such more often were very much more firm than most veg tanned leathers found today.

I hope this is of some help.

Dave

Leather from the period is often referred to by its intended purpose rather than anything else. I've been studying the mid 19th century for some time and have yet to find a resource that lists things like weights of leather used in any definitive format that can be translated. The best option is to examine original items and equipment and go from there.

From what I have learned, bag leather is light weight, some where around 6 ounces or so. Sole leather is in the 14 ounce range. Do not forget that leathers of the period were produced differently than veg tanned leathers of today. They were all pit tanned rather than tanned in a drum and as such more often were very much more firm than most veg tanned leathers found today.

Dave

Down here we measure Sole Leather in Irons. 3 Irons = 4 ounces I think.

Tony.

I still use leather from my supplier that is called bag hide.

It is vegetable tanned but is lighter, slightly softer, and less compact than bridle leather. It is usually about 3mm (1/8") thick and has a pattern embossed in the grain side.

There is also girth hide which is the same as bag hide but without the embossed pattern.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Dave

Thanks for the input so far!!!

Dave I have to agree about finding a period lists of weights for leather. The two items that I am working on are a Gunners Haversack and a Tube pouch, both of these are used in the artillery. What is interesting to me is that the haversack is lighter weight and the tube pouch is heavy based on your info. I would think that the Haversack would be a thicker leather because of the weight carried in it. For those that don't know the Haversack is used to carry the powder and projectile from the limber to the cannon. The tube pouch only holds the lanyard, vent prick, and friction primers, which is a fraction of the weight carried in the other.

Thanks again

Bill