NoahL

Business Card Case for Myself

Hello everyone,

I finally had some business cards made up, and my pockets and wallet aren't exactly the best places for them, so I made myself a card case. I think next time I will make it a bit bigger, since this one only holds 5, but for now that is all I need (I think :P). It's made of 7-9oz horsehide leather and stitched with hemp thread. There is a belt clip on the back so it's easy to put on and take off.

Closed:

vf40n.jpg

Open, with some freshly applied oil at the bend:

2d98zmc.jpg

Thanks for looking!

~Noah

Hi Noah,

At first I am reading Apocalyptic Business Card Case and I am thinking...Dude at that point no one's going to need a card case. As soon as I saw it I fell in love. Bitchin piece of work! :You_Rock_Emoticon: You double down with the horse hide and the hemp thread and I am digging it. Two questions...Where did you get the hemp thread and do you wax it?

A suggestion for expanding your capacity. Before you finish off the inside pocket and you have her sewn up....dampen the leather spray a bit on the inside and drain it off. Now take some plastic credit cards and carefully insert three into the pocket. Tamp them down snug with a mallet. Now add another card inside between theo of the card and tamp and then repeat for a few more credit cards. This is like a wet molding process and finish off around the side with a spoon modeling tool. Then let the leather dry with the cards in place. And batta Bing Batta Boom..you have more capacity. Maybe making it a touch wider will also help.

See below what I mean.

Storm

Edited by Storm

Hi Noah,

At first I am reading Apocalyptic Business Card Case and I am thinking...Dude at that point no one's going to need a card case. As soon as I saw it I fell in love. Bitchin piece of work! :You_Rock_Emoticon: You double down with the horse hide and the hemp thread and I am digging it. Two questions...Where did you get the hemp thread and do you wax it?

A suggestion for expanding your capacity. Before you finish off the inside pocket and you have her sewn up....dampen the leather spray a bit on the inside and drain it off. Now take some plastic credit cards and carefully insert three into the pocket. Tamp them down snug with a mallet. Now add another card inside between theo of the card and tamp and then repeat for a few more credit cards. This is like a wet molding process and finish off around the side with a spoon modeling tool. Then let the leather dry with the cards in place. And batta Bing Batta Boom..you have more capacity. Maybe making it a touch wider will also help.

See below what I mean.

Storm

Hi Storm,

You're right that in a post-apocalyptic scenario, nobody would need it, but it's the style I was going for--glad you like it! The hemp thread is actually 1mm hemp twine that I got off the internet, but shortly after I got that, I found out that Wal-Mart carries it :P. Sometimes I wax it, sometimes I don't, and this time I didn't. With the hemp, I haven't noticed any discernible difference in durability or its ability to hold stitches, and since I finish with Sno-Seal (a wax mixture), the thread gets some wax melted into it in the end anyway.

I appreciate the advice on increasing capacity! In this particular design, I actually used a welt to give it the space for the cards, but I think your idea may still work with it. I just forgot about the rivets taking up space inside the case, otherwise I could've snuck a few more cards in there, haha.

Thanks!

~Noah

I like that a lot.

Nice job

Thanks!

Here are some nicer pictures of it that I took outside today when I had a little spare time:

2comts9.jpg

~Noah

Hi Storm,

You're right that in a post-apocalyptic scenario, nobody would need it, but it's the style I was going for--glad you like it!  The hemp thread is actually 1mm hemp twine that I got off the internet, but shortly after I got that, I found out that Wal-Mart carries it :P.  Sometimes I wax it, sometimes I don't, and this time I didn't.  With the hemp, I haven't noticed any discernible difference in durability or its ability to hold stitches, and since I finish with Sno-Seal (a wax mixture), the thread gets some wax melted into it in the end anyway.

I appreciate the advice on increasing capacity!  In this particular design, I actually used a welt to give it the space for the cards, but I think your idea may still work with it.  I just forgot about the rivets taking up space inside the case, otherwise I could've snuck a few more cards in there, haha.

Thanks!

~Noah

Thanx Noah!

I just got back from Walmart and I found this fine Hemp like carpet thread. I also found this on the net. It is also hemp thread for shoes. vintage stock from Ireland dated 1946. You know if you're going to use it for shoes then it has to be sturdy stuff.

http://www.ejtmercantile.com/catalog/item/5336501/6852620.htm

I have already cut off a length and waxed it with bees wax. This stuf has a real high tensile strength to it. Now I have o whip up a new card case using the waxed hemp.

Thanx again for the tip.

Storm

No problem Storm. I can't wait to see the card case you use it on--it's definitely nice stuff, in my opinion :)

~Noah

Thanx Noah!

I just got back from Walmart and I found this fine Hemp like carpet thread. I also found this on the net. It is also hemp thread for shoes. vintage stock from Ireland dated 1946. You know if you're going to use it for shoes then it has to be sturdy stuff.

http://www.ejtmercan...501/6852620.htm

I have already cut off a length and waxed it with bees wax. This stuf has a real high tensile strength to it. Now I have o whip up a new card case using the waxed hemp.

Thanx again for the tip.

Storm

Man that's cool. I really dig your style & love seeing a new take on a project like that.

Cool "patina"! Looks like it was made out of an old strap or something found in a barn. What did you pound it with? If I had a decent looking card holder like that, I suppose I'd get off my lazy butt and make up some more cards.

If you're open to suggestions.....Based on the apocalyptic theme, I'd say patina the edges somehow too. And maybe some finish color inside. Although you wouldn't want anything that would soak into the cards.

I saw also another post you had mentioned Snow-Seal. Have you ever used Trekking Biwell? That's what I've been using on my backpacking boots for the last 15 years or so and like it much better. You can get it from backpacking stores or on the 'net. It's made in Switzerland. Doesn't smell quite as good as Snow Seal though.

Thanks! I pounded it with a background texture tool from Tandy and with the stucco wall outside :P.

I normally to leave some uneven dying on the edges, and leave them mostly unburnished when I do these, but I figured I would try the burnished edges on this one. I agree, though--it looks too finished for the style. I have never heard of Trekking Biwell, and I have a lot of Sno-Seal so I'm going to use it, but when I run out I will have to look into it

~Noah