UKRay

Cleaning up my act on the dye bench

I just put an old shower curtain on my table.

The newsprint packing paper pads are plenty big enough and work really well for absorbing the mess from 'wet' dyeing and edge staining and the greyboard really does soak up the odd dribble of dye that escapes when I'm busy.

The downside: The absorbent newsprint paper is quite soft and inclined to screw itself into a ball if I'm burnishing the surface of the item - Yes Mike, I should probably rub more carefully - so I now burnish on the, much stiffer, greyboard before applying a finish coat...

Apart from that there isn't a downside. As a bit of paper becomes impossibly grubby I screw it up and use it for fire lighting. Job done!

Thanks again Kate and Terry - and all the others who contributed.

Ray

hi,

I have a 2'x 2' piece of thick glass and use newspaper on top of that. When done I throw out the paper and if the glass gets dye on it I wipe off with some alcohol. I don't do alot of dyeing yet but this seems to work for me so far.

Frank

When I was looking for a slab for tooling, the lady at the granite counter place directed me to their junk pile so I ended up with a couple of decent sized (about 2'x3') pieces. I use one of those to dye on with a few pieces of the local free paper. Like with the glass, any dye that gets on it just wipes off with some acetone or alcohol. And the best part is, it cost me nothing.

John

Edited by JohnD