Storm

Ancient Tulip Design From Arbalet

Arbalet wondered what this would look like tooled. Sooooo I gave it a go.

Beautiful work, Storm!I How big is the actual size?

Beautiful work, Storm!I How big is the actual size?

Thanx Rhona,

It is aboit 5.5inches by 10.5 inches. Maybe six hours of work including the dying and blocking.

Storm

Thanx Rhona,

It is aboit 5.5inches by 10.5 inches. Maybe six hours of work including the dying and blocking.

Storm

By blocking,do you mean block dye process? way that tom states with cotton balls in linen resulting in coloring high spots??

By blocking,do you mean block dye process? way that tom states with cotton balls in linen resulting in coloring high spots??

No blocking the surface by using a few coats of Super Shene before dying the piece. The problem is that the new All In One Tandy dyes are not like the old ones. The old antiques were never a problem. The new ones have a way of leaching through on occasion. I used to be able to work up two three and sometimes four layers of darkness.

No blocking the surface by using a few coats of Super Shene before dying the piece. The problem is that the new All In One Tandy dyes are not like the old ones. The old antiques were never a problem. The new ones have a way of leaching through on occasion. I used to be able to work up two three and sometimes four layers of darkness.

ok now i am confused and intriguing can you explain thi sto me?

Storm nice work. I like your use of the old pattern and yes i agree about tandy die's now sucking. if it is not broke don't fix it and tandy has a track record of fixinfg something that is not broke and kmaking it worse. that is why I love the old Tandy stuff

Edited by leatherman1457

ok now i am confused and intriguing can you explain thi sto me?

Hi Ganonymous,

No need to be confused. I used to use the same sort of technique doing watercolor illustrations and paintings. In the case of the tulips I wanted the flowers to remain the same color as the untouched leather. So I carefully brush on the Super Shene and coat the petals and anything else I don't want to have dyed. I usually put two to three coats on and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply your dye and when you wipe it off the coated(Blocked) parts should remain the same color pretty much. My recent skull and roses used the same technique. That is why the roses appear so glossy. That is also due to my scanning he art into the computer.

Hope that this helps.

Storm

Hi Ganonymous,

No need to be confused. I used to use the same sort of technique doing watercolor illustrations and paintings. In the case of the tulips I wanted the flowers to remain the same color as the untouched leather. So I carefully brush on the Super Shene and coat the petals and anything else I don't want to have dyed. I usually put two to three coats on and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply your dye and when you wipe it off the coated(Blocked) parts should remain the same color pretty much. My recent skull and roses used the same technique. That is why the roses appear so glossy. That is also due to my scanning he art into the computer.

Hope that this helps.

Storm

thank you kindly....I never thought of doing this...lol....it makes sense though!!! hahaha

Looks really good, Storm!

My only wonder is... how would it look inverted? :)

I like the colors you chose for it tho!! :thumbsup:

Looks really good, Storm!

My only wonder is... how would it look inverted? :)

I like the colors you chose for it tho!! :thumbsup:

If you would like I can send you the pattern I created from the little image arbalet had. Then you could try inverting it. :thumbsup:

Just send me an email.

Storm

If you would like I can send you the pattern I created from the little image arbalet had. Then you could try inverting it. :thumbsup:

Just send me an email.

Storm

I just might, after I finish a few things I'm working on!!! I'm a little behind due to a nasty cold. *adds the tulips to my list* Whee :-D

Good work. The picture was not gone in vain

Storm you always do such great work, I always get excited when I see you have posted something new.

Mike.

Thank you everyone for the kind words but we should also thank Arbalet12 for finding the original image upon which I based the pattern. :clapping:

Storm

Storm,'

You tooling is really looking great!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Big tip of the hat, sir. Beautiful.

Very Beautiful! The Little explanation over 'Blocking' Helped quite alot. Really makes me want to get back to the workbench seeing this. xD

storm

you are getting your own kinda trademark now. your begging to be recognized with the way you tool patterns. grat work amigo keep it up. your one of those who i know who strive to have his own trademark tooling style and those are the ones who succeed at the end farther and higher.

i always notice that when you tool something its always recognizable that its your work. even if its a borrowed pattern. your practice has made you even better thus making you create that second nature identity when you tool stuff. i begin to realize that we should not stick to the style of other but we should practice and practice even harder to gain our own identity and style in carving things. its like painting youi have subjects and different artists can interpret that subject in many ways.

HAPP NEW YEAR buddy! great work from and artist!!!!

ritch

storm

you are getting your own kinda trademark now. your begging to be recognized with the way you tool patterns. grat work amigo keep it up. your one of those who i know who strive to have his own trademark tooling style and those are the ones who succeed at the end farther and higher.

i always notice that when you tool something its always recognizable that its your work. even if its a borrowed pattern. your practice has made you even better thus making you create that second nature identity when you tool stuff. i begin to realize that we should not stick to the style of other but we should practice and practice even harder to gain our own identity and style in carving things. its like painting youi have subjects and different artists can interpret that subject in many ways.

HAPP NEW YEAR  buddy! great work from and artist!!!!

ritch

[/quote

Thanx much Ritch! You are coming to the same thing I believe in. If you have three pianists and they all have the same sheet music from Mozart or Bach, it is almost assured that each will play the music in a different manner. One may start with a basic recipe but if you have four top chefs they will put their own spin on how they put it all together. In the case of this art that Arbalet supplied we start with only an old photograph of some even older stone carving and then from that a pattern is created and then a carving and dying. As much as I love Al Stohlman as an artist and a teacher(My only teacher, after a fashion) I know that I must try and go farther if I can. I don't want to parrot something and do so for all of my life. There are understandibly certain approaches to tooling certain things. I love to see a good Sheridan style but people have pushed the "Sheridan Tools" and as much as I would like to buy them I am not really able to as their price is usually prohibitive.

It takes practice and sometimes you're not successful but you keep going. My habit of late is to keep large index cards in my car and a clipboard(my drawing board) If I am waiting for to pick up my lady from work or sitting while she shops I draw new flowers and patterns. The other night I was waiting outside the Fish and Chips shop and longer than usual and I started drawing. There was a guy in the car next to me, I hardly noticed. I sketched lightly in pencil and then came back over with a fine tip rollerball. When I was about to leave the guy shouted out. " Not being nosey or anything but I couldn't help but watch what you were doing. Man that looks really nice and you did it so quickly!" An unsolicited compliment is so rare these days and from a stranger at that.

We need to all strive to be better. Not to be in competition with each other but ourselves. To be better than we were the day before. You look at the work of Bob Parks a true cowboy artist with a striving toward the original but also BOBACAT! I am in awe of his work also and even more so as he comes from China. There is also a new member dlmartemcouro (Danilo Melo) from Sao Paulo State in Brazil who just placed his latest Executive Bag on the site for display. He used an old photo of a Chester Hape Sheridan style saddle and adapted it to his briefcase. When you consider where Danilo is and the fact that he has only been leather carving and saddle making for eight(8) years.....well I am in awe. I am not jealous. I love someone who can best me for from them I gain the drive to strive and be better at whatever I am doing. For if we are to grow we must try and help other. If you help another person get to the top of the mountain then you cannot help but get there yourself.

Thanx to all my teachers from around the world.

Storm

Well put storm.

This week I saw IT MIGHT GET LOUD, and Jack White was commenting that he likes things to be a challenge, and if they arn't, make it one. Keep pushing. The people who are at the top of their game aren't there because they want to be on top, they want to push and play and arn't afraid to make a thousand mistakes, and grow as a result. I highly reccomend this film to anyone who loves music, Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge, three generations of top Guitarists interacting.

That was really cool Storm!!! Love the richness you got in the colors. Seem like you're finding your way around with the eco-flo stuff.

Tooling looks just great, the mtif is great for tooling!!

Tom

That was really cool Storm!!! Love the richness you got in the colors. Seem like you're finding your way around with the eco-flo stuff.

Tooling looks just great, the mtif is great for tooling!!

Tom

Thanx Tom! I am getting a little better with the ecoflo but it is still not right. Changes with each type or brand of leather not to mention having it change on the two pieces from the same hide. Still prefer neetsfoot oild and the seal with Satin Shene. However some people will want their colors. HA!

Storm